1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Fan Forum with Tom Telesco

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Skuzzlebutt, May 1, 2013.

1. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    Tommy T is holding a forum with the season ticket holders today. I am going to jot down as many questions and answers as I can during the call.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,358
    Just got called for this. Didn't bother to listen in.

3. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    Q: What are you going to do about Phil's blind side?

Answer: We have some guys here who we think can do the job. We signed a guy named Kind Dunlap who a lot of people don't know but he handled himself well. He will have a chance to win the spot. We will continue to look at other players available as well. That's the plan right now and we still have 3 months to put together players.

Q: What role do you see Fluker play in our O-line? Run protection or pass?

A: He will do both well. Bring a tough nasty power game with him. He can block speed edge rushers is why he's a first round pick. In the SEC he faced some tough competition and did great. He is dual phase and can do both.

Q: Who calls the person to tell them they have been selected in the draft?

A: We have a personell get him on the phone and then I (Tom) get on the phone and let him know he is about to be picked. Its quick, about 30 seconds. Its neat to hear the family and friends cheer in the background. Mik

Q: How do you guage a player's character when thinking about making them an offer (my question, aimed at LT/McKinnie)

A: Same investigation as the draft. Spend time with them. Talk to people who have been with them before and have been with that player for an extended period. Hopefully someone you know and trust their opinion. Look for people you have worked with and trust. Bring the player and say"This is what we expect as a SD Charger anda citizen."

Q: Schedule home and away looks brutal. 6 games with 10am. Backloaded with home games.

A: This is new to me being on the west coast so we might have to travel a day early. Typically our practice schedule with Mike will be earlier to help make up for it. I don't get caught up in the schedule too much because there is nothing we can do about it. We will have to make some adjustments, but alot we were going to do anyway with a new practice schedule.

Q: We have made a lot of changes. Some teams make cahnges and have quick success and some flop. How will you get us to the super bowl?

A: Number one we signed a great coach in McCoy. He did amazing things with 3 different QB types. Ken Whisenhunt is a great O mind and will help. Frank ? as our QB coach will bring experience as Jim Kelly's backup will excellent (one of the best in the league). I know phil is excited about it. I think these 3 guys will take us where we want to go.

Q: I just want to say I've been a fan since 68 and say thank you for picking up Te'o.

A: We are expecting big things from him.

Moderator: Were you surprised by the outside reaction to the pick?

A: We are in a bunker mentality when drafting and had done a lot of work on Te'o. I did not think it would be such a big story. Yeah, poor Fluker the pick behind him is getting all the attention but that is how o-line men like it.

Q: I heard we got McKinnie and are we thinking about getting Tebow?

A: Number one we didn't sign anyone today and we don't expect to sign anyone today (BIG NEWS!?!). We are happy with our QBs and don't expect to add anyone.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    Missed a question because of the possible McKinnie news...

Q: Issue with 4th and 29 and an issue with 24-0 at halftime. Why did you keep our D-coordinator?

A: You take the full body of work with people. Football is a funny game and you are going to give up a play like that. They happen. Look at the body of work and we have a really really good coaching staff. Weddle and Johnson will be vets and we are excited about Pagano leading the D.

Q: Depth: LG and Safety. I am impressed with Lynch, is he on the roster? Can Harris be at guard or Troutman?

A: Lynch is currently a FA and not with anyone. OL Troutman will be competing for a starting job. I liked him a lot when I was with the Colts and he will be in the mix. He is doing very well right now.

Q: Key to the season is O line and you are looking at FA to bring in. Is Clary able to go to LT?

A: He is a pro. He is willing to play anywhere to help his team. We are going to get the best 5 possible. Jeremy has done everything asked of him here and we will fit him somewhere to help.

Q: Where do you think the biggest needs are once you are past the draft and where does Mouton fit in with the team?

A: Yes, Mouton will compete for a job with Te'o. Jonas is still here, will be here and will compete. They are all trying to earn playing time. For some players its right spot right time, but everyone on the roster will have a chance.

Q: Danny Woodhead, I'm excited about him and want to know what you think of our run game.

A: DW is exciting, short but still 200lbs. He used to kill us with Colts. In OTA and training camp we will decide what his best role will be, best packages for him and one part of his game with pass protection. We are looking to add playmakers on offense and he will be fun to watch during the season.

Q: Our offense, will it be West coast or something else and who will call plays.

A: I have a feeling on who it will be but I will keep that to myself. We will find out during training camp. We will evolve our offense type. It won't be West Coast per se, but Mike is big about changing the offense to fit the players.

Q: Does the current management have concers over PR17 with his turnovers and lack of mobility and even his pocket fundamentals.

A: Concerns? No. Things to work on? Of course. Phil has a great pocket presence and you don't have to be fast to move around in the pocket. He has the football mentality. The best ones can force a ball when trying to make a play, we will try to limit those. These are all things we will work on. Even Phil who has been around for so long he still works on it every day.

Q: Press with L.T., did that really happen?

A: It did happen. It was a natural question to see if he had any snaps left in him. He is happily retired. Next time he has on a Charger jersey is when his number is retired and put on the wall.

Q: Cam Thomas is one of your NT, what other options do you have? Also, what other steps are needed with McKinnie after the physical.

A: We are in the exploration process with McKinnie and see if an opportunity presents itself. We signed two really interesting NT after draft: Geathers (sp?) he has family who plays and a big big man strong at the point of attack. Georgia plays in a similar style as we do. Also, Jearado (sp?) a little bit smaller with good foot speed also signed. We will still look at other options to improve our talent level. Excited about those two guys.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Telesco addressing offensive line. Said Fluker is "tough and nasty" and will bring back physicality team is used to from likes of Dielman.

Telesco says Manti Te'o has one of the highest football IQ's he's ever been around.

Telesco said he likes young core on defense, veterans like Weddle and Jarret Johnson and Coach Pagano leading it. Is excited about the D.

Telesco says Johnnie Troutman is competing for a starting job. Liked him while he was with the Colts last year. Is very happy to have him

Telesco says Jeromey Clary is "a pro" and that he is willing to play wherever it is he can help this team AKA moving to guard.

Telesco says Woodhead is short but strong and well put together. Calls him a playmaker who "has some magic to him"

Telesco discusses nose tackle options behind Cam Thomas. Said he's excited about two rookie free agents - Kwame Geathers and Byron Jerideau

Telesco says Manti Te'o was an excellent third down player in college, especially in zones and his football awareness. Had an innate sense.

Telesco says Keenan Allen can play in the slot as well as outside. Looking forward to getting a feel for where to use him.

Telesco says Steve Williams is one of fastest cbs in draft. Took notice of him after he picked off Andrew Luck when he was scouting the qb.

Telesco says Tourek Williams has a never give up attitude each and every play. Loves his motor and energy.

Telesco says Brad Sorensen impressed QB coach Frank Reich. Got inside his head for football intelligence and intangibles. Really stood out.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Telesco says Rivers has weapons. Deep WR group. Likes Mathews and Woodhead. Improved line. Was amazed watching 17 and 85 in practice.

Telesco says Mathews is a great kid. Working extremely hard. He liked Mathews when with Colts. Game planned around him. Expects big things.

Telesco is impressed by how hard this team works. "If a guy can't keep up with our work ethic, he won't be here." Very pleased so far.

Telesco says Marcus Gilchrist "could be in the mix for safety as well as corner." Is very versatile. Loved Gilchrist in college.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    Q: Te'o, are you looking at him stricktly in the middle and where do you see Allen during this year with his abilities?

A: Since we are 3-4, we have two inside with Donald BUteler being the other middle. Te'o will have to earn his job, but we expect him to do that. They are interchangable the way Pagano runs it. We'll see where 3rd down takes us. Te'o was excellent in that area in college with his zones and awareness. He has the capabilitie to be a 3 down back. We'll see if that happens this week. With Allen, the great thing is that the really good college WR usually plays outside. He played a lot in the slot and that versatility is very exciting and think that will help him this year. He can play inside/ouside also has some punt returns.

Q: What about the last 3 players we drafted?

A: Williams is a CB from Cal who is an excellent cover corner. One of the fastest, short area quickness. Not tall but can tackle well and a player our scouts really liked. A player when I scouted Andrew Luck, Williams picked him off and took it to the house.
    Tourek, DE who we project at an OLB in our 3-4. Tourek did some stand up and moving around. High motor, high energy very productive and never quits on a play. Really excelled in Special teams and should translate to NFL.
    Sorenson, BYU transfer. Scouts really liked, Tall, armstrength quick release. Studies the game. QB coach went and worked him out and got a feel for his intangibles.

Q: How is Rivers going to do with out enough help?

A: We think he has some help. Some deep reciving core, RM24 is coming back this year and we are getting better on the o-line. Watching Phil and Gates work together was pretty amazing. Something as an outsider I would never see. But I think you put a blindfold on both of them and they could complete a pass 9 out of 10 times. We think he has weapons and we will continue to look for more.

Q: Ryan has had some tough luck with injuries.

A: I know as a kid, he is a great kid. Guys get hurt in football and has had two freek injuries. From the outside, when he plays he plays very well. When we plyed the Chargers, we had to gameplan for him.

Q: When you first looked at this team, what was your impression then and what is it now?

A: Its always nice to look at the players when you are here. To be around them and see how hard they work. I was told what the work ethic was, but now I can actually see it understand how hard they are working. Believe me, I am looking at that and if they can't keep up with our demands then they won't be here. I know we are on the right track because of how hard they are working.

Q: How are you going to handle the safety position? Is Ghilcrist in the mix?

A: He could be in the mix at safety as well as corner. He played both in college and I love him when he was in college. He's one of those guys you want on your side. We will look at what backfield position is best for him. We also have Taylor coming off injury who did some good things.

Q: What is the next thing on your agenda which you want to accomplish?

A: Player accuisition never ends, every day of the year. After draft you see who is out there and explore different opportunities. Second part, this is a chance to analyze the football operations and how it works here. Too busy when I first arrived and now I can evaluate all aspects of football opperations. Vet mini camp in June with the whole team and see them working together.

Final Comment from Tom: Thanks for your support, out in the community everyone has been very welcoming. We are trying to put the best product on the field possible and will continue to do so. We are doing the best we can and feel really good with what's in front of us. Can't wait to get on the practice field at the stadium and put people in front of fans. We have a process before we get to games but it will be fun.

End of Interview.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +353
    Awesome job skuzzle! Thanks a lot for posting all of this!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,455
    Yes, thanks to everyone for posting his responses. :tup:

10. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,071
    "what are you going to do about Phillips blindside ?" ....

Looking into the possibility of surgically adding a third eye to the left side of his head ......

11. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
  12. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,071
  13. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Thanks Scuzzlebutt! Great work and valuable service, man.

14. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +316
    Thanks Scuzz and B4L. Great read! Man I feel good about this organization.

15. newjerseydamo

newjerseydamo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    thanks for the read! intriguing. can't wait for more football!

16. two1

two1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    Hearing this has me really excited about the season! I just hope that we find a lt somewhere or one of these other guys work out.