1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Latest Chargers News & Headlines' started by robdog, Aug 6, 2005.

1. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Jun 29, 2009
    <strong>August 6, 2005</strong>
    Source: <a href="http://www.chargers.com/news/headline_detail.cfm?news_key=2225">Chargers.com
    Throughout training camp, several Chargers including Head Coach Marty Schottenheimer, quarterback Drew Brees, and linebacker Steve Foley have spoken about the important role that Bolts fans have played in the team's recent success. The Chargers took time to show their appreciation Saturday as the team moved its practice to Qualcomm Stadium for Fanfest '05 - presented by Budweiser .

Approximately 10,000 fans filled the sidelines of Qualcomm to interact with their favorite players and receive autographs.

"This is crazy, and I love it," Foley said. "Our fans showed up today and really gave us a lot of energy. We're grateful for them."

The Chargers had previously held Fanfest at the Home Depot Center in Carson, but with training camp's return to San Diego, the event was moved to Qualcomm Stadium. Fans seemed pleased with the event.

"All the players were generous and took time to speak to us," said 18-year-old Pablo Caballero of Chula Vista. "This was the best Fanfest that I've ever been to."

Bolts players circled the stands for roughly an hour, signing everything from pennants and hats to young children.

"It's hilarious," said defensive tackle Luis Castillo. "I bet I wrote on five babies this morning. I also signed a couple of my football cards. I didn't even know that they'd made cards of me yet."

The fans also got their first look at the 2005 Charger Girls. The NFL's top dance squad performed for the crowd and then spent time interacting with the fans.

"I'm so proud of San Diego," said Charger Girl Cameron. "They really came out and supported the players and the Charger Girls as well. Today gave us a great feel for what the season is going to be like. It's obviously going to be very exciting."

Following the autograph session, the Chargers conducted their lone practice of the day. The team got roughly two hours of work in, which wasn't as long as Schottenheimer planned. But according to the head coach, it was a nice surprise.

"You can always tell that you're doing it efficiently when you get done early," Schottenheimer said. "We got everything accomplished that we needed to. I'm really pleased with how our camp is progressing."

Each time that running back LaDainian Tomlinson touched the ball, the crowd erupted in chants of "L.T!" Tomlinson had an impressive afternoon, weaving in and out of defenders and making several receptions out of the backfield. Guard Toniu Fonoti continually opened gaping holes for his All-Pro back and drew raved reviews from those in attendance.

Things got a little testy late in the practice when rookie linebacker Robby Farmer got into a scuffle with a host of offensive linemen. Guard Mike Goff stepped in to break things up before they got out of control.

Defensive linemen DeQuincy Scott and Ryon Bingham turned in nice outings Saturday. Scott recorded a sack during team drills, and Bingham knocked down a Brees pass.

Those not practicing Saturday included tight end Ryan Krause (foot), tackle Courtney VanBuren (knee), linebacker Ben Leber (foot), linebacker Marques Harris (back), linebacker Randall Godfrey (knee), wide receiver Malcolm Floyd (calf), and Castillo (foot).

Saturday's workout was the first that Castillo has missed during camp, and Schottenheimer said that his injury is not a major concern.

For the first time since they opened camp nearly two weeks ago, the Chargers will have a day off on Sunday. They'll resume practice at 8 a.m Monday morning. Fans are invited to attend the workout at Chargers Park.