1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

FA'S we've signed

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by charger1993, Jan 8, 2012.

1. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    1/5 Brad Taylor (TE) signed.
    1/5 Damik Scafe (DT) signed.
    1/5 Charlie Bryant (DT) signed.

2. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    those are just practice signings for now....

3. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    im just going by what i see from the internet, im hoping we land someone big

4. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Two of them are DTs so I hope at least one of them is big. :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    haha agreed,i meant as a impact, if we can land a decent TE we can focus more on other needs in the draft

6. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Championship.

• Like Like x 1
  7. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    The NFL season isn't even over. I wouldn't expect anything more than yawn inducing practice signings at this point :roflmao:

(Not that I'd hold my breath for when the time does come for real free agents)

• Like Like x 1
  8. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    i agree but im trying to find positive in the norv and aj situation

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    Bryant is supposedly moving to the OL

10. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    To add to that, Bryant's actually a former OL who converted to DL when he was at Memphis, and is now converting back to OL for us. And yeah... I'd say 6'7", 318 lbs (and that was his college playing weight) constitutes a big boy.

Taylor was on our PS earlier in the season, was waived at one point, and is basically just getting future/reserve deal right now to ensure he's back for camp next season. No huge impact one way or the other on the position or how aggressively/passively we'll likely be in addressing it this offseason.

Scafe is the same as Taylor. He was a guy who went on IR and was released from the PS as a result, and now he's getting an early camp contract so that he can at least make use of team facilities for offseason strength and conditioning if he so chooses and will be on the books when minicamps kick off. (6'2.5", 309 lbs. for anyone who didn't remember his size)

11. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Bryant was supposed to be doing a Dielman last year but his position status still says DT WTF?. All he is is a bull rusher and not even a good one at that as a DT. No athletic ability so maybe he can become an O lineman. Scaife might be a Cesaire at best. Yawn.

12. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    1/12 DeAndre McDaniel (S) signed

13. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Scafe is listed as DE on the Chargers site and is 6'2 300lbs
    Bryant is listed as a DT and is 6'6 320lbs

We won't see anything big for a few months

14. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    o i know, FA dont start until march 13th, but im still keeping track of all the practice squad players to

15. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Cool. Glad someone is keeping up with it

16. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    well i figured that aint anything else to do, so any new i can find on the team during the offseason, is what ima do

17. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I was being serious. I appreciate it. Now I just need to look here to see the teams activity

• Like Like x 1
  18. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    I don't get what is wrong with this kid, he was a top prospect coming out of the weak safety class of 2011 and went undrafted.. I know he had off the field issues but I watched this kid at Clemson and he looked really really good coming into the draft..

Hopefully his buddy Marcus Gilchrist can help him out here in San Diego..

• Like Like x 1
  19. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    Depending on what John Pagano wants to do with the linebacker corps, he knows the players best, whether to keep Cooper or Diggs, I think one will stay, and I believe that will be Cooper, or both will be gone, I wouldn't mind reaching out to a guy like Kirk Morrison who will be a FA as he didn't quite impress in Buffalo.. he's a San Diego State grad, was a pretty solid ILB in Oakland for a few years and will be 30 come Feburary, wouldn't mind signing a vet like him to a two year contract or so.. ILB we need depth at this year, Cooper I think has became unreliable the past two years and you never know with Mouton.. I'd make a move as long as its on the cheap for Kirk..

20. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,378
    OK, I'm giddy [​IMG]..... so which is it, is Koop the Klown staying, gone or just unreliable ?

I haven't seen that many contradictions in one post since my days reading OldSchool's posts at the CMB !!!

God, if either of those 2 are on the next roster its gonna be a long season again.

21. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    I dont think Either will be kept, Cooper didnt show any promise what so ever this year none, and diggs made some good plays but hes slow and doesnt make tackles. IDK if he's a free agent but i would more than love to bring in gary brackett, for fundamental teaching to the younger ILB's he was a solid tackler and took up gaps in Indy he could help develop the young ILB

22. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    yea i hope he stays to, he has great ball skills, but we will have to wait till the preseason, this kid will have to show his skills

23. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    Brackett was utter garbage this year in Indy.. he looked like a Diggs out there.. No thanks, even though he will prob re-sign, are you sure he is a free agent?

Like I said, I'd rather take Kirk Morisson, will be just turning 30, he's a SDSU guy, bring him in on a cheap one year or two year and were good..

24. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    i dont want to bring him in to play, i want him in camp teaching technique, ILB is in the years draft,Burfict= physical, a better OLB. Audie Cole- a good technique players, james michael johnson= talk about butler speed and decision making look at this kid, emmanuel acho= fast quick and smart.

25. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    Well Coop I wouldn't mind, Diggs I don't want..

Coop can serve as a back up, but he is unreliable and his durability is being questioned the last two years he's been hurt.. I wouldn't mind him on special teams and offer him the vet minimum..

But I wouldn't be surprised if he's gone..

26. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    I don't think he is retiring or coming into San Diego's camp to teach youngsters.. whats the point of keeping him on the roster if we draft another ILB? that means we will have Butler, Spikes, Mouton, a draft pick, and Gary Brackett? he won't take the vet minimum i don't believe either so we would be eating up a roster spot AND putting 1-2 mill on the line for him the least..

I don't see him going anywhere but Indy or retiring.. and he did sign a 5 year deal in 2010..

27. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    i just think he would have been a good mentor, i didnt know if he was a FA, but we need a Mentor with good technique

28. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Cooper should under no circumstance be brought back as a player. If he wants to retire and join the staff, cool. But no way he should be in uniform

• Like Like x 1
  29. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    Since there will be a "normal" off-season this year, there will be plenty of time to evaluate the available free agent ILB's. I suspect that part of the upcoming roster changes will involve cutting players that spend more time in the training room than on the field. Cooper has become old, slow and now more prone to injury. I would prefer to cut / not resign Diggs and Cooper and find an up and coming ILB coming off of his "rookie" contract instead of getting another end of career "rent a vet". I am fine with Spikes as long as his level of play does not drop off, but we need linebackers we can groom and keep for a while instead of a revolving door of old guys you have heard of that used to be good somewhere else.

I don't want to fall victim to the "Johnny Unitas effect"... let me explain: When I was young, the Chargers acquired former Baltimore Colts star quarterback Johnny Unitas, with the high top cleats and the flat top haircut, who I had watched on TV for years...sadly, instead of getting the NFL championship winning Johnny Unitas, we got the old, tired, sucky Johnny Unitas. In short, I would prefer to bring in players on the way up than household names in decline. I guess I'm just funny that way.

30. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I think we have 2 up and coming ILB's in Mouton and Butler. I am fine with teaming them with a couple veterans