1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

(Fat) Karlos Williams

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Chaincrusher, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    Karlos Williams was released by the Bills. They are loaded at RB and Williams reported to camp overweight, apparently having weighed as much as 261 pounds during the offseason compared to a normal playing weight of about 225 pounds.

Williams proved he can play last year and that he has a nose for the end zone. He averaged 5.6 yards per carry and scored 7 TDs.

I wanted us to draft him last year and would love to see us sign him and set him up with a weight control program (like Cincinnati did with Vontaze Burfict) as he could be a great #2 RB for us at a minimum.

I think he is easily better than Oliver.

What do you guys think?

2. OwenBoltMeany

OwenBoltMeany BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    He's also facing a 4-game suspension for drugs.

3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Oliver is going to beast this season.

That is all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    I will believe that when I see it.

5. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    True, but I would sign him anyway.

I wouldn't even see him as being in competition with Oliver. I would see him as being in competition with Gordon for the #1 RB job.

Besides, if Whiz wants to run more, we will need two actual primary ball carriers instead of one and a third down back.

6. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I'd give him a try, but I think Oliver is better suited to our scheme. I don't see many carries for Williams unless Gordon really does meltdown.

7. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I will believe THAT when I see it... ;)

• Winner Winner x 3
  8. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    I worry about a guy that can't spell "Carlos."

I don't doubt the guy's talent...but all 31 other GMs passing on him (on the waiver wire) makes ya think twice...

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. woodeye

woodeye Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +51
    IMHO Stay away--far away from Karlos.

Granted, his rookie campaign was impressive.

I will take Farrow and/or Swain 24/7/365.

I am even looking at trading BO for trench help.

But NO on Karlos.

10. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Given that Woody is a FA again after this season, and will be 32, I think Oliver is going to stay if for no other reason than to fill that role next year.

As for Karlos Williams, I'd give him a camp spot, and let him duke it out with Farrow over the next few weeks. If he shows signs that he can play, I see no downside to keeping him while the roster is still relatively healthy. After a few injuries though, he's likely going to be released.

To be real, the guy is no fatter than Eddie Lacy. He can move a pile.

11. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    I think an in shape Williams is probably better than every RB on our roster.

I expected Gordon to be better than Williams, but so far he hasn't been.

12. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    As much as I like Oliver and his story, I think the truth is that there is about a 50/50 chance that we could make an upgrade to him by doing nothing more than casting a net when other teams make their roster cuts.

IMO, Oliver is significant downgrade from Woodhead.

13. OwenBoltMeany

OwenBoltMeany BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    Okay. So if he hadn't ballooned to 261 pounds; and wasn't being suspended for drugs, he'd be a better option. Assuming of course that there werent other additional factors that cause him to be cut in just his 2d year. Or that are currently causing 31 other teams to pass on him.

Terrific. Yeah, let's put him ahead of MG3, Woodhead, and Oliver. Let alone our other RB options.

:rolleyes:

14. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    When the Browns say: "Uh...yeah...we're better without that guy" a red flag literally goes up! :p
    man_waving_red_flag_w640.jpeg

15. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    The Bills are stacked at RB even without Williams. They have Shady McCoy, Reggie Bush, Jonathan Williams, James Wilder, Jr., and Mike Gillislee.

So when Williams was suspended and out of shape, I am sure that didn't sit too well with the team and they decided that they didn't need to deal with the headache Williams was causing them even though he clearly demonstrated the ability to play last year.

We do not have either the depth or the top end talent that the Bills have at RB, so we should put up with more of a headache given our comparatively greater need at the RB position.

16. K-Bolt

K-Bolt Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I'm not sure putting a guy who turns up overweight and has a suspension on the team is a great idea. It doesnt matter if you think it would be an upgrade to our RB depth. This is his 2nd year, for me thats a sign of lack of commitment. Thats a headache I'm not sure the team needs.

17. OwenBoltMeany

OwenBoltMeany BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    That is hardly a "stacked" line up. In fact, both of your assertions above are absolute laughers.

I've always loved McCoy. But is he the same guy? He rushed for 895 yards last year.

Reggie Bush? 297 in 2014. 28 in 2015.

Jonathan Williams? 5th round draft pick rookie.

James Wilder? The UDFA who just spent two years on the Cincy practice squad?

Mike Gillislee? A 5th rounder who was cut by the Dolphins, then spent last year on the Cardinals practice squad? (When they had a zillion RB injuries?)

Listing a bunch of names does nothing to advance your position, when you clearly haven't done your research on any, or each of them.

In fact, now that you made me look up the Bills' depth chart at RB, my initial inclination toward K Williams has become more concrete. If they can cut the guy with that rag-tag lineup --- HARD PASS.

18. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    I would say that you are significantly underestimating what Buffalo is doing with regard to the RB position pretty much across the board.

Shady McCoy put up his 895 yards in just 12 games last year. His numbers are in line with his career numbers, so he appears to be the same great player as always. Any assertion to the contrary is simply unfounded.

Bush was injured last year and is obviously a reserve/third down RB and historically a very good one. We have all seen what he can do.

Williams' stock fell in the draft because he missed the entire 2015 season and he had split carries with Alex Collins before that.

Wilder came out a year too early, causing him to be undrafted. He then got stuck behind Bernard and Hill (both 2nd round picks), who had all but 4 of the Bengals' RB carries last year with the majority being handled by Hill, a bigger RB similar to Wilder. Bernard had the majority of the RB receptions. Bernard and Hill are both better than anyone we have.

Neither the Cardinals nor Dolphins ever really gave Gillislee much of a chance to play. When the Bills did late last year, on just 47 carries he managed runs of 30, 50 and 60 yards, the latter two for TDs. Seeing that he had some breakaway potential, the Bills re-signed Gillislee as a nice and cheap option.

Your post makes it sound like Gillislee was just some practice squad signing from another team that never played when the truth is that Gillislee did play for Buffalo and played very well.

The most impressive part of what the Bills are doing is that they have found value at RB with players like J. Williams, Wilder and Gillislee, who are all players that were undervalued on draft day just as they did with Karlos Williams. I would take every one of those players over Oliver without hesitation.

But when you add those players, including Karlos Williams, to McCoy and Bush, that is 6 NFL caliber RBs, which is probably two too many.

Of course, with that many good NFL caliber RBs on the roster, there is going to be less patience for a player that gets suspended and fails to maintain his best conditioning.

As for my research, I had every one of Gillislee, Wilder, K. Williams and J. Williams on my radar as potential late round bargain picks at the time of their respective drafts. Rex and company appear to see RBs in a very similar way to the way that I see them. For three 5th round picks and an UDFA, there is some great value there.

19. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    I hear that argument, but I think that Karlos Williams has proven that he can play and his situation is entirely fixable.

If the team could get him fixed like the Bengals did with Burfict, they could end up with a good player for very little investment.

And if he doesn't work out, what has the team really lost? Our situation seems different than the Bills' situation. We have an OC that wants to run the ball and yet we only have one primary ball carrier and I don't even fully trust him. We don't have 6 NFL quality RBs like the Bills did before they cut Williams.

Good teams have two and sometimes three players that can handle primary RB duties if necessary. I think Woodhead is a good player, but he is 31 and his best value is as a third down/passing situation RB. Oliver is a fringe roster player on his best day and more of a third down RB in his own right. So we just have Gordon, who sucked last year.

We need a co-#1/#2 RB. K. Williams could be that player for us. He was better than Gordon was last year.

I wouldn't pass on him just because we might have to put in a little extra work with him to get him right.

20. woodeye

Ratings:
    +51
    Don't forget about Dreamius.

Crazy talk.

We will have to squeeze it to find room for Farrow.

HAVE YOU WATCHED HIM PLAY FOOTBALL ?

:sneaky:

21. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    I am underwhelmed by the likes of Dreamius, Farrow and Watt.

I would like to see us keep Swain as our FB.

22. woodeye

Ratings:
    +51
    O-tay. O-tay. (Not a geographic reference)

Previous comments submitted to
    BoltTalk
    in its entirety, for peer review...

23. Lawyers guns & money

Lawyers guns & money BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    While we're at it lets make a run at Jamarcus Russell

24. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +537
    I don't think this team has the culture to turn a guy like Williams around.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    Why would we do that? Unlike Russell, Karlos Williams has proven that under the right circumstances he is a very good football player.

26. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    My guess is, you should worry about his mother then.