1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Faulk on LT

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Feb 13 2009
    By Kevin Acee

Marshall Faulk spoke this morning on a conference call regarding his induction into the Hall of Champions. He was asked what he thought about the LaDainian Tomlinson situation, wherein the Chargers are deciding how to restructure his contract.

Faulk opined:

"I know A.J. (Smith) and I know the Spanoses, and I know right now that they're in a tough situation. They're thinking economically, and they rarely make mistakes economically. (But) I think this situation, if it's thought of economically, could really hurt them.

It could hurt them in the public's eye, it could hurt them in the public's perception in terms of the type of organization they've always been. It could really, really hurt them."
    Tomlinson is due to make $6.725 million in 2008 and count $8.79 million against the salary cap. The Chargers are going to offer him a restructured deal in the next few weeks in an attempt to fit him into their financial constraints as they attempt to sign numerous players.

"They really have to be careful with this situation, because you can't just replace the character portion of what LT is. Even though he might not be what he was two or three years ago, he's still better than most and very effective. I'll say this anytime: LT at 70 percent is better than most guys at 100 percent. And they haven't had him at full strength for two years now. If they allow that to be their determining factor, they're making a bad decision. The decision should be left up to LT: Do you want to be here? and if you do want to be here, let's find a way to get your cap number down. He's earned the money. But this whole pay-cut thing is crazy. Now, if you want to defer it, let's defer it. But pay cut? I don't believe in that. Right now, if he was putting up 2,000 yards, would he get a pay increase? No."

Very interesting. Faulk is an excellent analyst on NFL Network and a smart dude.

I do think if LT was putting up 2,000-yard seasons, he and the Chargers would be talking about a new deal with more money. Whether it would happen or not is a different matter.

2. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I say, "Faulk It"! Pay the man!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  3. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    LT is the highest paid RB in the NFL, why would we offer him more money if he had 2000 yards? Isn't that something you'd expect from the highest paid player at his position?

• Like Like x 1
  4. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Excellent analysis from Shamrock:

I'll bet all the Seattle fans blamed Shaun Alexander's poor production his last two years with the Seahawks on a bad OL, Hutchison leaving, and the little injuries (oh, he won't have them next year) ....

I wonder what the Rams fans thought when Marshall Faulk had over 1300 yards in 2001, signed a HUGE contract extension in 2002, then bilked the club for over $23 million in the next five year with journeyman production.

SI.com story about Faulk's last NFL contract, the 2002 extension.

Marshall Faulk signed a seven-year, $43.95 million contract with the St. Louis Rams on Monday, a deal that will enable the running back to finish his career with the team.

Faulk was about to enter the fourth year of a seven-year, $45.15 million deal. The new deal features a $9.3 million signing bonus.

Faulk would have been due a $7 million salary and $5 million roster bonus next season. He also could have voided the contract and become a free agent after next season.

What did the Rams buy for that extra cash?

Marshall Faulk page - NFL.com

Rushing yards

2001 - 1382 (year before contract extension)
    2002 - 953
    2003 - 818
    2004 - 774
    2005 - 292
    2006 - 000 - Missed season (but was paid) - injured

Receiving yards

2001 - 765 (year before contract extension)
    2002 - 537
    2003 - 290
    2004 - 310
    2005 - 291
    2006 - 000 - Missed season (but was paid) - injured

How much money did Marshall Faulk bilk out of the Rams for journeyman (or worse) performance?

USA Today Salary Database - Marshall Faulk page

Total REAL dollars paid

2002 - $11,595,000
    2003 - $....657,500
    2004 - $ 6,000,000
    2005 - $ 4,001,210
    2006 - $ 1,000,000 (didn't play a snap)

Total - $ 23,253,710

Let's just ignore history about RB's that are aging, injured in back to back years, have a ton of mileage on them ....

2001 was Faulk's last good season .... his 8th NFL season.

LT just had his 8th NFL season in 2008.

5. fan4ever

fan4ever BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    NO one has been or is even close to the class of character that LT is all about.

• Like Like x 1
  6. gobolts_charger

gobolts_charger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11

Hard to argue your point really.....good work.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    except that LT isn't Marshall Faulk :icon_shrug: and he still had solid numbers despite playing hurt all season long and having his # of carries considerably lessened from years prior.

I just don't buy the "well so-and-so did xyz so LT will be just the same result" argument. Sure, the numbers presented look compelling, but there is a whole lot more to the story than just Faulks stats. What was going on with the team? How many carries did he get? Injuries? O-line issues? etc...

find a way to keep LT, period. if not, i guarantee we will always regret letting him go.

• Like Like x 2
  8. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

I'd rep you if I could!!! :yes: :tup:

9. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Lt and Faulk are like BFF's....

I've seen like 20 LT-Faulk interviews. :lol:

10. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    If Marshall would only invest his money in establishing a new university, he could name it after himself, and then we'd all have fun making references to "Faulk U." :yes:

• Like Like x 2
  11. BOLT POWER

BOLT POWER Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +13
    :tdown:If LT wants to be a Bolt like he says then take a cut, let us sign back up Rivers Marcus & shawne, LT was the Highest paid back for some time, now take one for the team and stop whinning, endorsements alone make more.:tdown:

12. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    The organization is fully capable of restructuring his deal without screwing him over and if they try to jerk him around I wouldn't blame him for turning them down. It's business. So long as Condon and AJ act like rational adults and don't get into a tough-guy pissing contest everything should work out just fine.

13. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    You can cite faulk. You can also cite Walter Payton, Barry Sanders and Emmet Smith who had off years and then continued to pile up impressive seasons. I put LT in the trio and not with Faulk. We need to draft fat boys and the middle linebacker. The rest will take care of itself if we sign the guys we have to contracts.

14. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Faulk makes a great point. You have to keep the guy.

• Like Like x 1
  15. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Yes, we need to keep him and he will stay as long as AJ doesn't low ball him.

Keeping Neal on the bench then releasing him was a MAJOR mistake that I hope they learned from.