1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

FB the Chargers should take a look at.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Sep 23, 2006.

1. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,475
  2. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Must be a typo on his 40 time. Has to be a 4.5 40.

Anyone seen Shmitt play? Blocking???

3. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,475
    not a typo, they announcer said it today during the West Virginia game, he said he heard it from the coach himself.

And he was just truckin people today while I was watchin. If we can keep Neal for one more year he would be a perfect mentor type for this guy.

4. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Grandpa Moses can run a 6.5 40 with a walker .... it has to be a 4.5 40.

5. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,475
    goddamnit it did it again. LOL

4.5 40!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hooorraaayyy:icon_rofl:

6. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    good one. That was funny.

Yes the kid looks good. He's a hitter big time.

7. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Screw that, when Neal retires, we should start using offensive sets involving H-backs. someone like Chris Cooley

Get more offensive weapons out there

8. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,475
    oh an Chris Cooley has worked out so well for the Redskins this year. LOL
    You can call me old fashioned, but didnt guys like LoNeal, Tony Richardson, Mack Strong, and Dan Kreider all block for the best running teams in the NFL? top 4 in Rushing TD's?
    All good offenses start with the ground game.

9. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Is it Cooleys fault that Brunell is one of the five worst starting QB in the NFL????

Last year, Cooley was one of the top TEs (775 yards 7 TDs) in the NFL despite splitting time between TE and FB and if im not mistaken, Clinton Portis was FOURTH in the nfl in rushing last year (1515 yards). This year, even with an injured Portis, the skins are averaging 4.4 ypc.

This year, the pats are using more of an H-back (Garrett mills and David Thomas) and have the #3 rushing game in the NFL right now, so having an HBack obviously doesnt slow down a good run game. Plus, were does it state that H-backs HAVE to be only good at recieving? Whose to say that an Hb cant be a good blocker???

Also, having an HBack back there helps the run game in that they can confuse the defense since they dont know exactly what they are suppose to do with that player

10. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Didn't Cooley drop 3 or 4 passes that hit him right in the hands in our game last year versus the 'Skins?

• Like Like x 1
  11. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,475
    OK any Hback thats getting 700 yards and 7 TD's is spending all his time playing reciever. NOT BLOCKER

And Portis only had 11 rushing TD's last year, where as Tomlinson, Alexander, and Johnson(teams with great FB's) had 20-27. BIG DIFFERENCE! And you might realize none of those teams have a probowl reciever to strech the field like Portis has Moss.

We already have 4 TE's all who can catch the ball including the best in the NFL, we dont need another one.:yes:

Pats arnt a good example either, as there offense is also struggling.

12. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    I like Pinnock.

13. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,475
    How do you know that, he never plays.

14. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    I've seen him play plenty during the preseason. He's the reason why we didn't keep Perkins on the roster because Pinnock can play RB as well. He might not be the blocker that Lo is but not many are. Pinnock is much more versatile he can run and catch the ball as well. The fact that he has made the roster in a postion where two FB's is a luxury (especially with 4 TE's) and is a ST's stud tells me that the coaches like him as well. The fact that FB is just about the only position that we haven't drafted in the past three years tells me something too.:tup:

15. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,475
    PRESEASON!!! You could have stopped there.
    and 30 rushing yards and 26 recieving in 3 years does NOT mean Pinnock can play RB. Dude dont buy into this new age Hback system. Id rather have that sixth lineman blockin for my man LT.

I say draft the big boy from WVU

• Like Like x 1
  16. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    As long as Lorenzo Neal is playing, there's no reason to look to anybody else.

17. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,475
    Theres always a reason to look towards the future. And Neal is 36, that shoud be reason enough.
    I just wanna keep our glory days rollin. :):icon_party:

18. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    I am a big believer in the full back position. It's just one of those unsung positions that can make all the difference in the world. There is a special place in heaven for guys like Lo and Mack Strong.

19. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    How about a fullback with some speed, like Earnest Byner in his heyday?

• Like Like x 1
  20. RMANCIL

RMANCIL Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223
    Dead on.

• Like Like x 1
  21. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,516
    And the college guy your touting doesn't even have PRESEASON production to recommend him.

Talent evaluation isn't about inserting a player as a starter and evaluating how he does. It's about seeing a player take limited snaps against inferior competition and determining how he might do against the best players on the planet. To dismiss a guy because he has not started, while touting a guy who is still in college, makes no sense.

I realize you got major wood for the guy from WVU, but try choosing a metrics to dismiss Pinnock that doesn't also work as an argument against your boy.

• Like Like x 1
  22. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    While I agree that Pinnock is largely an unknown I would very much like to see him get the first shot out our future fullback position. Don't get me wrong... I would like nothing more than to see Lo Neal clear a path for the next two or three years. But at the same time I will not be surprised if he decides his body has had enough and wants to hang the ol' helmet up for the last time. I think Pinnock ought to start a couple regular season games before we go trying to aquire a new FB AND before we designate him as heir apparent no Neal.

23. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    We ran the H-back system back when Dan Henning was our coach. Rod Bernstine was a very good H-back. It's no more of a "new age" system than the west-coast offense.

24. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,889
    What I'm starting to think is that Pinnock would become our RB/FB hybrid (think more like Mike Alscott) as a change of pace pounder because there is a damn good chance someone is gobbling up Michael TUrner even if he tag him. Pinnock though doesn't hvae turner's speed is a big bruiser which is a good change of pace from tomlinson's elusiveness. This FB from WV is really impressive and i"d like to get a shot at him.

• Like Like x 1
  25. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,475
    Yep, he looks to me like the hybrid type. I saw him completly run over a ECU linbacker the other day. Its studs like this that get overlooked in drafts but end up being signed as free agents, then shock people when they become probowl material.

Like I said, i just wanna keep these glory days rollin. Cuz if we dont win a Super Bowl, in 10 years well look back and say there was no excuse with the talent we had.