1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

FBGP's 2015 Inside the War Room - Chargers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by EmDiggy, Apr 15, 2015.

1. EmDiggy

EmDiggy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +34
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Bruce Daniel

Bruce Daniel BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +241
    First off, thanks for posting this. A couple of things here
    1. Defensive line help is a dire need (see last years run defense) definitely more than safety or quarterback and should be addressed in the first 3 rounds, really first round
    2. Until Rivers is gone QB is not a need. Clemens is a viable backup
    3. You completely ignored LB help/depth in both the middle and outside. We lost JJ and Freeney, Gachkar and Walker. Gonna need some guys there.
    4. Wide receiver is a need. Not desperate, but if the value is right on a wr we could use some youth there

It's not what I would do, but I could live with Gordon/Cann in rounds 1-2.

You completely blew rounds 3-4 imo. You reached on a perceived need at safety in 3, when there had to be better value at wr (Lockett or McBride maybe?) or DL (Cooper or Anderson). Then round 4 you basically wasted a pick on a QB who won't see the field (like Brock Osweiler in Denver). I would fill the Linebacker depth here

You did great in rounds 5-6. I like Swann as a prospect and that is good value there. Randall is an absolute steal in the 6th, I'm fairly certain he's long gone by the sixth round

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    Thanks for posting, Em. Hadn't thought of a safety in round 2. Intriguing idea.

4. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +301
    That's a very nicely done presentation, but I would be really upset if the Chargers drafted the way you set forth.

I agree with Bruce Daniel's take for the most part. DL and OLB are positions of gigantic need with our departures and struggles against the run. ILB is also a position of need unless you trust Te'o and Butler to get the job done and it is a depth need at a minimum regardless of any issues with Te'o and Butler. We could pretty much stand pat at CB, SS, FS and QB and be fine. Because of this, I find the back two-thirds of your draft problematic.

I think Gordon and Cann are fine players, but I am hoping we go in a different direction in the first two rounds of the draft.

I am hoping we do not use a round 3 pick to go SS when we have Addae and Wilson competing for the job at SS.

Barring a miracle, we are not finding Rivers' ultimate successor in round 4 of any NFL draft. There are many drafts in which there are no QBs that could adequately replace Rivers. This year there might be exactly one--maybe (Mariota).

I think there may be greater value at other positions (such as RB and WR) in round 5. Swann does not impress me.

Randall looks like a pretty good FS prospect, but we already have Weddle and Stuckey and I can't find a big board anywhere that has Randall below #107.

Sorry, I do not mean to be harsh. I just have a very different opinion about what we should be doing in this year's draft.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Agreed. If you're going to draft Rivers' successor you do it by going to get Mariota now, or you wait until next year (while tagging Rivers, and possibly trading him then) when there is a pretty solid QB class coming around the bend.

You don't piss away a mid round pick on a so so project that you'll immediately be looking to upgrade on, like the Chiefs seem to do every year.

Chargers have all the leverage here. The only bad thing that could happen is Rivers turns down a $20+Million franchise tag to retire early.

6. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,731
    I think that TT is holding the cards close to the vest, and isn't personally sharing any information with anyone about what he plans to do come Draft day. Well, maybe a small "tell" on the recent group picnic up in Oregon... But that's it. Maybe...

7. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    If I'm in the draft room I'm screaming for ereck flowers at 17 and hopefully trade butler. Butler is unhappy or atleast is playing like it. If we could weasel a 2nd n 3rd or 2nd n 4th I'd be happy. I think our team could be improved with some key drafting.
    1..ereck flowers ot miami
    2.telvin Coleman rb Indy
    2.dgb wr Missouri
    3.stephoine Anthony ilb clemson
    3.ifo okmufro cb Oregon (hardest name ever)
    4.a better de
    5.a ss
    6.a nt
    7. A qb

8. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +90
    What about this possibility? We get our RB of the future (we have 3 current backs that can carry the load till Gurley is healthy), we get our QB of the future (who can learn behind Rivers for his last 1-2 years) and we finish our upgrade of the Oline with a sneaky Telesco trade back into the bottom of the second round!!

#1 Todd Gurley RB
    #2 Bryce Petty QB
    #2 Tre Jackson RG (Trade back up into the late 2nd)

9. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    Lol, a 2nd and a 3rd for Butler? We would be lucky at this point to get a 5th for him.

10. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162

11. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,731
    Okay, so who do the Chargers pick at #17?

12. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,731
    Wow! Such a flurry of activity around here. You would think that the Chargers are looking like they are going to a candy store with a bag of money in their hands.

13. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,731
    No last minute choices for the Chargers and their first round pick?

14. Montrose

Montrose BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +223
    I suspect a RB, probably Gordon as he seems to be portrayed as a safer bet due to Gurley's injury but I'd pick Gurley. This Charger management just seem a bit risk averse. I accept that is purely my opinion from what I read here and elsewhere.

If they don't go RB I suspect they'll go OL. No idea who.

I want them to pick a defensive beast who can get to the QB and inflict some pain :sneaky:.

This is all subject to the caveat that I'm a Scottish numpty who knows heehaw about it .

15. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Does it matter?....... they usually end up being a bust. ;)

16. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,731
    Okay, so which bust do you think they will pick first? :D

17. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Some guy........ the fans will hate the minute he's picked. ;)