1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

FCC and NFL Blackouts

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by in_a_days, Sep 30, 2014.

1. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    So I either stream games online or watch in public places, but this is cool for folks that rely on more traditional programming.

F.C.C. Appears Poised to Loosen Sports Blackout Rule, Despite Protests by the N.F.L.

I don't expect anything to happen quickly, but it looks like we may be on a path to getting away from non-sellout blackouts. I know nothing about the logistics of all this and I'm curious as to what kind of leverage the NFL will have to prevent local affiliates from broadcasting a game. But it sounds like progress.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. gonzokrb

gonzokrb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +64
    If the NFL becomes Aholes, like that hasn't happened in the past, Congress needs to take away the leagues tax exempt status.

3. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    WHY?

Because you're too cheap to buy a ticket? They need people in the seats to get loud. Not to sit at home.

4. gonzokrb

Ratings:
    +64
    While SD doesn't rape the fans as bad as other teams, the league in general does every thing possible to squeeze every dime out of the faithful. Also, Bite me on the "Cheap" crap. Some of us aren't fortunate to live in SD so the elevated ticket prices, food, & drink costs can hit pretty hard along with the travel expenses.

5. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,422
    It costs 50-60 bucks if you want to sit at the very top of the stadium....and that's if you're going by yourself. Not everyone is privledged enough to be able to afford that.

It's also kind of funny how the way to help prevent it from happening is to make it so you don't benefit from the game airing on television anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,422
    To be fair, if you don't live in SD the blackout doesn't really affect you anyway.

Of course, if you live in Escondido or some outlying area like that that's probably the worst of both worlds.

7. gonzokrb

Ratings:
    +64
    In Vegas lately, when SD has the black out we don't get the game. We get switched to SF or Den. Last week we got Philly at SF.

8. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,422
    That's even lamer.

How is it people over 300 miles away get punished for that?

9. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I live in the next county and get blacked out. Hell I think Savage Lizard gets blacked out in Bear Lake.

The rule is antiquated. Baseball does not have blackouts. I recall that like 70% of the NFL's revenue is from TV. Not ticket sales.

H8er has a point, we need fans to make the house loud. But some cant afford to go to live games, after all, it is a costly event for the day even if you get cheap seats. The NFL will have to learn how to put butts in the seats without cutting off the home town fan.

10. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,422
    If they want to put buts in the seat they should lower ticket prices across the board.

That's how supply and demand is supposed to work...if demand isn't high enough the price must come down.

Instead they prefer to try and strongarm us into coming.

11. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +481
    HAHAHA!!!! I love it.....the bizillioniare NFL may have to SUCK IT!!!.....:tup:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I'd love to go to every game - I just can't afford it. I'm not cheap I have ******* rent to pay, a gas tank to fill, a wedding to pay for, college classes/books/parking bills, etc... The tickets I want to spend my money on are $100-120/each. Even for the cheapest seats, just for me alone, that's $54 + $25 (parking) + 80mi round-trip drive + 10-12hours of my day including the tailgate = LUXURY EXPENSE.

Do I love going to games live? Of course, but I also enjoy living without unnecessary debt :p

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,412
    That was the problem with giving them the special status to begin with. The owners think they're above normal business practices. If your product isn't selling, you have to offer incentives, or cut the price. That's how it works in the real world.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    When they were winning the prices jumped almost every year. And its just not football where food and drinks are expensive. Baseball, Hockey, Basketball, Movies, Races, Golf, Amusement Parks, just about everyone jacks the prices up.It costs more to go to Disneyland just to spend 90 minutes waiting for a 2 minute ride.

15. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    The NFL is not real world.

16. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,422
    They're selling a service in the real world just like every other company out there. They shouldn't be exempt from the dynamics of supply and demand.

17. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,422
    That doesn't negate the fact that it's expensive and therefore someone's not just being cheap if they can't go to every game.

18. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I had 6 season seats from the late 80's up until a year or so before I moved here to NC, pricey but worth it. A good friend of mine from the Valley new the owners of Kennedy's Meats out in El Centro and we always had great tailgate chop-chop. Those were the days and can bring a tear to me eye.

19. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    Green Bay has a waiting list for season tickets that is decades long. We don't have enough Charger fans in this town to fill our own stadium. We have to rely on the OTHER team to help buy tickets. I might be old school on this one but I am in the owners favor on this one. In the Air Coryell days San Diego Stadium was sold out to season ticket holders. Thats why I became a season ticket holder. Every game was jam packed with San Diego Chargers fans. You could feel the electricity in the air when you entered the stadium. Everyone wore yellow Charger Power T-Shirts. Those days are LONG GONE!

20. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,422
    Did tickets cost upwards of $60 per seat for the nosebleeds in the Air Coryell days?

21. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I can't say I have ever known a soul that has moved to Green Bay, met lot's of from there though.

22. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,422
    Green Bay also doesn't own the nation's 2nd largest Navy base full of displaced military personnel still fans of their hometown teams.

23. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    I was there, too...and to be fair, the capacity was 74% then of what it is today...
    and the team hadn't seen a playoff game for 14 years when the drought ended in '79...
    there was a hell of a lot of pent-up demand! (by comparison, this team has been in the playoffs 6 of the most recent 10 years)
    It absolutely is not the same...

24. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    When I started buying my own Bolt seat they were around 12 bucks maybe a bit more and that wasn't nosebleed seat though. I can't remember what they called them back then but I think they were brown in color but they still had the gardens under the scoreboard back then too. Party days and to much haze to have a vivid detail of it all.

25. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,422
    And according to this site that only equates to $36.46 in today's money, so NFL ticket prices aren't exactly keeping a steady pace with overall inflation here.

26. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    You picked a very poor team to compare to. The people of Green Bay OWN their team. Hell, if we owned the Chargers, it would be a very different environment. Frankly, there isn't much else to do in Green Bay anyway.... the people live for their team. It's the one major social outlet that they have. San Diego has more things to do year round than almost any other city in the country. You couldn't pick to places (and situations) that are more different.

27. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,422
    Or two eras of the game and it's economic standing.

28. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    and your point is
    a City with barely 100,000 people in it has a waiting list for season tickets that lasts for decades. San Diego has a population of well over one million.

Green Bay's weather is horrible and people will get on a list and wait for decades to get the right to freeze their butts off to root for their team. We cant even sell out a game in San Diego. If there are so many things to do, why are people complaining they cant watch their team for free? Bottom line is we do not have enough fans that care enough to get the game and cheer their team on. They will when the team wins but haulass when they lose.

29. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,422
    Displaced football fans who cheer for their hometown team like to go to football games in a stadium in the same city they're stationed in conviniently down the road....especially when the Chargers are playing their favorite team. They're probably not going to do so wearing a Chargers jersey.

I'm sure none of those season ticket holders come from the 5,622,341 Wisconsin citizens who don't live in Green Bay.

But that's besides the point. I'm glad they're proud of their team and tickets to watch Packers games are in such high demand.

That doesn't negate the fact that they aren't in high demand in San Diego and many other cities. In fact, you're making my argument for me here. If the demand isn't as high they shouldn't be charging $60 per person to sit in the nosebleeds.

30. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    Did you read what I wrote? The people in Green Bay don't have anything else to do but watch their team play football...... the team that they actually OWN. If you actually owned a stake in the Chargers, don't you think that might make you more invested in the team... Not just financially, but emotionally? It should would for most people.