1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

FCC considers ending the blackout rule

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/13/fcc-considers-ending-the-blackout-rule/

2. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    It's about freakin' time....... the other sports don't do it, but the NFL is "special". :rolleyes:

3. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Hells yeah :)

4. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    I can't remember the last time a baseball or hockey game got blacked out...

5. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    Was does the FCC have to do with it, its an NFL rule! I say keep it! It makes people go to the games

6. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    I would like to see the Blackout rules adjusted.

7. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,582
    Says the man who's not renewing his tickets.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    I am fine with the intent, but how it is administered is bullsh_t. I live 150 miles away from Qualcomm Stadium, but I get dicked by blackout rules whenever it comes up because we are considered part of the L.A. market.

• Like Like x 1
  9. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    and I dont have a problem dealing with blackouts. Winter League baseball goes through mid November. Adult League Winter League Championships are played in December.

10. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,582
    With all due respect, and you are one of the folks around here I do respect the most, you have been saying that (baseball) for years now.

11. Las Vegas Charger fan

Las Vegas Charger fan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +35
    Wow, that's bullsh_t!!! I'll renew my season tickets for $0.34 on the dollar of my current price. I don't care what they pay in Green Bay or Pittsburgh, consistent blackout need to be addressed and ticket prices lowered. Once your games are sold out on a consistent basis, don't bone the ticket holders, find a way to make more on TV adds. Give your home team the advantage by putting your fans in the seats, not Raider fans or Green Bay fans.

12. Cargadores

Cargadores BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Dodger and Raider games should be blacked out for the heck of it. :D

• Like Like x 1
  13. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    I don't think they need to make the decision on Thursday, I think they could make that decision by kickoff. I know its not that difficult to type 'San Diego' into the broadcast computer. People get paid on Friday so any remaining tix most likely will be bought then. But then again, when the city promised the fans 'no blackouts' people were still going to the games.

It is an out dated policy that needs to be revamped.

14. starry

starry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +13
    Not everyone likes baseball.

There's no excuse for blackouts and the internet has now made them laughable anyway, people still see the games despite the NFL desperately acting like Big Brother and trying to stop people watching. They should be encouraging people to watch.

15. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    I am not you!

If you want to watch a game buy a ticket, its probably the only way you going to be able to do this year! The owners have to vote on it, there are but only a few teams that deal with it, the other teams have a solid fanbase, the Chargers do not.

16. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Have Internet will watch...

17. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    isnt that to easy to have your computer "Catch a cold"? If I wanted to watch it, I'll buy a ticket. So its by my choice, and if the game is blacked out, I will just have to deal with it.

18. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +268
    I am all for them removing this stupid rule. Would force owners to get better teams if they want people to buy tickets to come to an actual game. Never liked the blackout rule, and I have 4 tickets that I am going to renew anyways. ;)

19. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    back in the day they never broadcasted the home games. People complained about it because they could NOT get in to the game because they were sold out. lets go back to those days!

20. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Yes... It is your choice... You have said that repeatedly and been agreed with... I believe you have driven the point home very well... :tup:

21. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,582
    Because the interest in the team exists OUTSIDE the stadium as well. It doesn't end when a game is sold out.

22. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    it did not matter, if you did not have a ticket you did not watch a home game. That is why home games started to be broadcasted. The NFL has changed since then, the game, the league everything has grown. But it wasnt long ago when things were entirely different. Owners now make money hand over fist. You used to be able to bring in your own drinks, my uncle would bring in a 5 gallon container FULL with beer in it.

23. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Anything that can be/is broadcast on TV, radio, or satellite. So yes, the FCC (Federal Communications Commission) has the rights to do what ever they want, unless the NFL wants to stop all broadcasts on TV and radio

24. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    Permitting "limited view" seats to be installed in a stadium partially built with TAX money - then issuing blackouts over their lack of sale is plain old BS I don't care how its painted.

25. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,582
    The city controls what you can bring into Qualcomm, not the NFL or team.

Face it, the league ain't going back to 1971. The NFL expanded it's brand via TV. That is by and large a good thing.

26. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    but to understand where you are, you have to remember where you have been. The city could have cared less what you brought in, the Chargers where in charge of concessions. The Chargers were the ones who were losing money. There used to be all night tailgate parties, those days are over also.

27. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072

The FCC controls what is ON the Airwaves, The NFL is in control of what is GOES on the Airwaves.

If the NFL does not want a game broadcast the FCC has no say in the matter. The NFL is the one with a contract with the broadcasters. The FCC does not have a contract with the broadcasters.

28. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    that isn't how it works. The FCC owns and controls the lines that the signal is transmitted on, and therefor has unlimited control. The FCC does and should have control over the NFL denying viewers from seeing the game on TV. Whether they have the balls to force them to abandon the rule, that is yet to be seen

29. BlazingBolt

BlazingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +36
    The Blackout rule is stupid because fans don't decide whether or not to buy tickets to a game based on whether or not it's going to be on television.

So the rule doesn't sell tickets.

It's also stupid because the league makes most money off it's television deals because the games draw in big ratings.

A blackout only hurts the leagues television ratings.

It's a stupid rule on both ends, lose lose. It needs to go.

• Like Like x 1
  30. starry

starry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +13
    If it was such a good thing every sport and every country would blackout games, they don't though so it obviously isn't considered a good idea.

• Like Like x 1