1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

FCC proposes elimination of blackout policy

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,355
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/12/18/fcc-proposes-elimination-of-blackout-policy/

• Like Like x 1
  2. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +208
    If the team really wanted to avoid a blackout, buy the tickets at 34c per dollar and then sell a couple to me for that price. I'd be at every game!

3. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I love the smell of football in the morning.

Ratings:
    +1,147
    For that kind of money, you would be in the Uecker seats...

uecker seats.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    What I don't get is that the NFL claims to have only one blackout this season (Chargers), but if you look at the NFL broadcast map for this upcoming Sunday, you see four huge broadcast areas (centered around STL, CIN, Charlotte, DC) in which there are no CBS early games being broadcast: "No game due to NFL rules." If that's not a blackout, I don't know what is. NFL map.JPG

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,602
    That's a 'soft blackout' or a 'well it's not really a blackout because it applies to other rules' kinda blackout. This is a cute trick a lot of companies use.

6. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,355
    Under NFL rules, a competing network cannot show a game if the team is at home and being shown locally.So if St. Louis is at home and being shown locally on Fox, CBS cannot show a game in that area.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +900
    The blackout rule is silly for so many reasons. One of my Raider fan friends thought he'd get a dig in because the Chargers had the first blackout this year. I pointed out to him that there were 65,000+ seats sold for that game even though it was blacked out. Meanwhile, a "sellout" in the tarp covered shithole in Oakland is 53,200. So roughly 12,000 less tickets allows for a televised game, while selling 12,000 more is a blackout?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,355
    Actually, what's considered a "sellout" in Oakland is much less than that. Those tarps cover 10,000 seats. Then they only have to sell 85% of the remaining seats. That figures out to be about 38,000-39,000 seats. And they struggle selling that many.

9. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +900
    I believe they added the tarps and removed the 85% threshold, they aren't doing both.

10. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Hey Savage,
    Nice to see you again.

I'm no expert, but as I understand NFL policy, by tarping off the relatively new ~11,000 seats
    (known, pejoratively, to A's fans as "Mount Davis") the Raiders are effectively changing
    the official "capacity" of O.co Coliseum...as if the newer seats never existed.

This reduces the new (unalterable, during the season) "capacity" at O to 53,286…
    and that's what the NFL would apply the 85% rule to.
    So, to get in under the 3-day broadcast rule, I think the Raiders only need ~45,293 tickets sold.

That would be the lowest in the league, but I think the O also has over 6,000 potential
    "Club" seats for each game, and--like for the Chargers--those fancy seats aren't
    counted in the totals already discussed.

So, in theory, even with the tarp up, a 2013 Oakland "sellout" could be as high as about 59,500 criminals.

11. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,147
    Speaking of blackouts, did the Chargers sell enough tickets for this Sunday's game? I read a report last night that there were still not enough tickets sold and the Chargers received a 24 hour extension.

12. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,684

13. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    @ChargersRHenne: Blackout has officially been lifted for Sunday's game vs. Raiders.

14. Fouts

Fouts Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Doesn't say if and when the elimination of the black out rule may happen? Next season? Or will this be something, that the FCC will just keep talking about, and be the gift that keeps on giving getting our hopes up. :D

15. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +295
  16. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,147
    ^^^ Not even the Raydur fans want to show up for this game. I feel bad for the sheep out in east county...