1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Female kicker tryout for Virginia Tech’s football team

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by CoronaDoug, Apr 1, 2012.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Female kicker falls short in Hokies tryout

Posted by John Taylor on April 1, 2012, 8:29 AM EDT
    Fresh on the heels of a women’s soccer player attempting to make the LSU football team earlier this spring, Lauren Luttrell was hoping for a different outcome during a kicking tryout at Virginia Tech this weekend.

Unfortunately for Luttrell, that wasn’t the case.

According to the Washington Post, Luttrell was part of a 10-person tryout with Hokies Saturday morning. While the former high school kicker made seven of her eight field goal attempts, and actually advanced to a second round over three other male hopefuls, she was not one of the three walk-on finalists who advanced to a “live-fire” tryout Monday.

Luttrell told the Post that head coach Frank Beamer praised her accuracy and fundamentals, but added that her leg strength lagged behind kickers of the male persuasion who advanced ahead of her. That positive reinforcement from one of the best special teams coaches in the game has actually encouraged Luttrell to continue her quest despite the discouragement of falling short this weekend.

Luttrell said as she was leaving Virginia Tech’s facility Saturday, Beamer approached her and said, ‘Look girl, I’m proud of you. You have the fundamentals, you have the technique; you just need the power and it’s something guys are going to have on you all the time. But don’t be hard on yourself.’

“You can get stronger,” Luttrell added. “So I want to see, if I can kick as hard and as far as they want their kickers to kick, would I have a chance with my accuracy?”
    As for her football future, the Post writes that Luttrell “plans to meet with [Tech director of football operations John] Ballein and Beamer on Monday in hopes of figuring out a way to continue training in a more structured environment, and perhaps try out again next season.”

This was actually Luttrell’s second tryout with the Hokies. The first, which took place back in August, went well enough that it earned her an invitation back for this spring’s tryout.

Prior to this second go-around, Luttrell said she received pointers via Facebook from Mo Isom, the LSU soccer player who tried out as a kicker earlier this month. After a stint that reportedly included a couple of field-goal makes from 50 yards out, Isom didn’t make the cut for Les Miles‘ squad.
    http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/01/female-kicker-falls-short-in-hokies-tryout/

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Yes, all of the males in Virginia aren't misogynists like our ***-hat governor.