1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

File this under "Yeah... Riiiiight..."

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Tom Jackson insists he picked Pats because it'd inspire Jets to win

Tom Jackson wasn't alone in picking the New York Jets to lose to the New England Patriots on Sunday. Oddsmakers installed the Pats as 9.5-point favorites and nearly everyone on the morning pregame shows was predicting Tom Brady(notes) and company would advance to the AFC championship.

But in his postgame interview with ESPN, Jets linebacker Bart Scott(notes) singled out Jackson, who picked the Pats to win 30-10, as someone the team proved wrong. One day later, the ESPN analyst took to radio defend his pick, insisting that he only predicted New England would win big because it'd motivate the Jets. "It was done pre-meditated," he told "Mike and Mike in the Morning."

Uh, alright.

Here's Scott's excellent postgame rant, in case you've forgotten:

Jackson took exception to this and felt the need to clarify why he picked New England (other than the fact that they had won 45-3 one month earlier and were thought to be the better team by all objective observers):

There you have it. Every time Tom Jackson picks a game, there's some mental manipulation going on under the surface. He can will teams to victory simply by doubting them. And here you thought Chris Berman was the most narcissistic person on ESPN's NFL crew.

The Jets like to create their own narratives about upcoming games. Playing the Patriots was about the believers vs. the non-believers. Scott fixated on Jackson and Keyshawn Johnson as the guys he proved wrong, but if they had picked the Jets he'd have yelled the name of another doubter. It didn't matter who didn't believe, it just mattered that it was someone.

I suppose the next logical question is who Jackson will pick to win between the Jets and Steelers and what subtle, Machiavellian undertones said prediction will have. We'll find out Sunday. CAN'T WAIT!

2. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I have always likes Jackson, even though he is a bonified "Orange Crush Homer" and dosent seem to like the Chargers much. He always seemsed to give it level and not play ego games.

This doesnt speak well for him. Hey Tom, say "Yeah I picked the Pats. Good for you Jets, I may pick against you this week too!"

3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Tom Jackson is about one jiz.z slurp short of Jamie Dukes.

4. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    That is a visual I did not need....

I will say one thing for Dukes. He has always (that I saw) backed Rivers. When the media was crying about Rivers saying 'bye bye baby' to Cutlet that December. Dukes was the only one to show Cutlets head going back and forth and point out that Cutlet has a habbit of getting into verbal confrontations.

5. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    :lol: but too far. NO ONE is as bad a Dukes

6. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Wow. Sounds like he should be an Irish Politician. F me, wot a moron.

7. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    God I hate the Jets.

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I'm with Conc, i've always respected and liked Jackson for being real and for being a solid broadcaster but this is BS. Don't know why he would be saying this except as a joke or if he's trying to delude himself

9. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Tom,

You can't bullshiit a bulshiiter.

10. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    People do funny things when they get embarrassed. Like get brain freeze. Nice to be back.

11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    You're welcome. :p