1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Final 3 cuts made, down to 75

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by MadMike, Aug 27, 2013.

1. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +479
    Michael Gehlken ‏@UTgehlken 1m
    Chargers set 75-man roster. Place three on IR: WR Dan DePalma (shoulder), FB Chris Gronkowski (ankle) and WR Mike Willie (shoulder).

So pissed, was sure Willie had a shot to make this team, and Depalma looked like a great project for the practice squad.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,243
    Wee Willie just cant catch a break.... Or maybe he did just that...:cautious:

3. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,707
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

DD and Willie lost for the year :cry: Damn you football gods!

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Ughhhh! all these WR injuries yet Meachem is as healthy as a freakin' ox. and runs like one too.

I swear the dude is turning into the Jeromy Clary of WR's

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    49ers put Tank on the IR, we can claim him right?

6. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,243
    I do not believe so.

7. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    yeah, never mind I just read its like a PUP thing

8. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +450
    If Tasker ends up making this team as last man standing I will puke.

9. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,524
    First Jerideau, and now DePalma, and Willie....... Hmmm, Chargers Warehouse? ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +636
    I hope Bryan Walters gets released by the Seahawks.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,243
    Please AZ cut Fitzgerald, and TT get him...

• Like Like x 1
  12. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,079
    Moreover... this is securing Goodman's spot more and more with each injury.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +319
    If these guys are really injured, *^%$*&*^^%!!!!!
    But if this is a ploy to hold onto these three guys until next year, I'm fine with that, but it raises some questions.
    Can IR'd players practice with the team or the practice squad?
    Can they use team facilities such as training room, med staff, film room, etc?
    Can they sit in on team meetings?
    Can they be on the sidelines?
    Do their salaries count against the cap?

14. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Here's some CBA language translated to English,
    source: http://russellstreetreport.com/cap-glossary/

(I bet the new IR rule will come into play this season for the Bolts--might even have influenced all the recent IR adds)

"
    Injured Reserve (IR) – Once a player is placed on Injured Reserve (IR), the player is done for the season and can not practice with the team until after the completion of the season. A player on Injured Reserve (IR) does not count against any roster limit, but does count against the team’s Salary Cap.

A player can be released from Injured Reserve (IR) once he has passed his physical and has been deemed to be recovered from his injury or if the player and team agree to an Injury Settlement. The player is then free to sign elsewhere and can participate in games for the new team.

In August of 2012, the NFL and NFLPA agreed to a new IR rule that allows a team to designated 1 player for an in-season IR spot which allows that player to return later in the season. The player has to be on the team’s 53-man roster on the Tuesday before the 1st game of the season and could then be placed on IR with the designation of “designated to return”. After that the player would have to sit out for 6 weeks, during which he cannot practice. After 6 weeks, the player could practice for 2 weeks and then be activated to the 53-man roster. The player must sit out a minimum of 8 weeks.

Injury Settlement – In the NFL, an injured player cannot be released. Often a team and player will reach an Injury Settlement in lieu of putting, or keeping, the player on IR for the rest of the season. Once an Injury Settlement is reached, the player is released. This is done when the player has a chance to recover from injury and play again in that season. However, if the player is still under contract for future seasons and the team wants to retain the player’s rights for the future, the team will not agree to an Injury Settlement and instead decide to continue to carry the player on Injured Reserve (IR).

An Injury Settlement is usually based on the amount of time that the team and player agree the player will be unable to play. So, for example, if the player is only expected to miss the first month of the season, the team and player will usually agree to a settlement of 4/17ths of the player’s scheduled base salary. The team then receives a Salary Cap credit of 13/17th of that salary. An Injury Settlement is attractive to both the team and player because it allows the team to create additional Salary Cap space and allows the player an opportunity to catch on with another team and not have to sit out the entire season on IR.

Injury Waivers – In the NFL, an injured player cannot be released. From the beginning of the league year in March up until the first cut down date, Non-Vested Veterans (players with less than 4 years of service time) must pass through Injury Waivers (officially designated as “Waived-Injured”) before being place in Injured Reserve (IR). Vested Veterans (those with 4+ years of service time) do not have to pass through Injury Waivers and can be placed directly on Injured Reserve (IR).

If the player clears Injury Waivers, then the team has the option of either placing the player on Injured Reserve (IR) or working out an Injury Settlement with the player, thereby allowing the team to release the player."

Here's link to CBA if you want to dive in to a poorly indexed document:
    http://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/collective-bargaining-agreement-2011-2020.pdf
    "

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  15. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,524
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Floyd, Brown, Allen, Tutu, Royal, then pull Willie off the IR when/if the time comes. **** Goodman.

17. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,732
    Can IR'd players practice with the team or the practice squad?
    Can they use team facilities such as training room, med staff, film room, etc?
    Can they sit in on team meetings?
    Can they be on the sidelines?
    Do their salaries count against the cap?
    Can they still get automatic bottle service in the Rooftop Oasis at Stingaree?
    Do their families now have to sit in football purgatory (View Level Sections 54-58, Rows 5-26) ?
    Can they still get firm butt slaps from Fred Graves (or just second-rate limp 'Whisenhunt taps') ?
    Do they still get Heinz ketchup for their fries, or do they now have to 'finish off' the Hunt's?
    Can Haley Joel Osment see them?

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +319
    Can they still get automatic bottle service in the Rooftop Oasis at Stingaree?
    No, but they get free parking on Sundays.
    Do their families now have to sit in football purgatory (View Level Sections 54-58, Rows 5-26) ?
    Helen Keller says, F-ing A!
    Can they still get firm butt slaps from Fred Graves (or just second-rate limp 'Whisenhunt taps') ?
    Limp Bizkit was a 90's band. Horrible decade. Please move on.
    Do they still get Heinz ketchup for their fries, or do they now have to 'finish off' the Hunt's?
    See above post on Colonel Mustard
    Can Haley Joel Osment see them?
    It depends. On a scale of 1 - 10, what's your favorite color of the alphabet?

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,243
    No. "A team may place a player on injured reserve (reserve/injured list) who is "not immediately available for participation with a club". Generally, these players may not practice or return to the Active List for the rest of the season (including postseason games or the Pro Bowl) that they are placed on injured reserve, but are allowed to be with the team." Note the new CBA allows for one player to be designated on a 'short-IR' list and return the season they were injured. I believe the is Melvin Ingram's designation this season.
    I believe so, yes. "are allowed to be with the team"
    I believe so, yes.
    Yes.
    Per the latest CBA
    "For the 201 1 League Year, each Club may designate up to three players who, as of July 25, 201 1 , have five or more Accrued Seasons and are under contract to the Club with a Salary of at least $ 1 ,000,000 over the Minimum Active/Inactive List Salary for such player, for each of whom the Club will receive a credit to Team Salary for the 201 1 League Year of $1 ,000,000 provided that the player remains on the Active/ Inactive Roster, Reserve/Injured List, or Physically Unable to Perform List of the Club throughout the 201 1 League Year regular season. The amount of the credit shall be reduced proportionally for each week of the regular season such player is not on the
    Club's Roster as described in the immediately preceding sentence. The amount of any such credit to Team Salary in the 201 1 League Year shall be offset by an equivalent charge to Team Salary, spread over the 201 4-17 League Years in a manner to be determined by the Club. (By way of example, if Club A identifies two players with five or
    more Accrued Seasons who are under contract as of the effective date of this Agreement, Club A will receive a "credit" to Team Salary for the 201 1 League Year of $2,000,000 (i.e., an additional $2,000,000 of Room) .
    So if I understand this correctly the club can get some credit back from having certain players on the IR list. There is a second section allowing for 3 more players who get less over the league minimum. I am not sure the ins and outs but it appears the answer is a firm 'kinda'...

Depends on star status. Some will not be allowed in (See Kaeding, Nate)
    No change from previous seating.
    They have to settle for generic.
    Yes, though some throw up on him.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,670
    So at WR we basically have

Floyd, Brown, Allen, Royal (ish), Meachem, Goodman......?

21. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Ajirotutu...

22. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,732
    Gesundheit!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  23. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    We should really go after Tommy Streeter, if groomed well, he can do everything Malcom Floyd does, and with more speed and ability to stretch the field.

Still holding out on the Seahawks dumping Bryan Walters, guy had a great pre-season here, can play special teams and is a great YAC guy.

I'd feel more comfortable with Floyd, Brown, Royal, Allen, Meachem, Streeter and Walters.

But I think they believe Luke Tasker is very similar to Walters. Atleast go for Streeter!

24. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I love the smell of football in the morning.

Ratings:
    +1,218
    Was that Charlie Murphy posing for that pic?

25. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +450
    I thought u were kidding above about Walters. The guy might look like Josh Ritter but a WR that does not make. We've enough of those types, see Tasker and formerly DePalma (who I think is the best of the 3 easy).

26. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +450
    And don't forget Luke Tasker. Heaven help us.

27. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    Walters had a great pre-season with us. And he can excel in Ken Whisenhunt's offense. He is a YAC (Yards After Catch) guy. He can also be an effective pre-season guy.

I'm sure Giants fans said the same about Victor Cruz when he exploded in 2010 pre-season. Brushed him aside, until he came out in 2011 with a huge season.

28. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +450
    Speaking of cuts I'm hearing the Jammer at S in Denver has failed and he is back playing corner.... v much on the bubble now.

29. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +450
    Ras I Dowling just let go by Pats, 33rd pick in 2011 and gone already, highly touted coming out, is he worth a look anyone know the juice on this guy?

30. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,079
    He was the Pats' best CB on the field as a rookie (for two games before going on IR) and by all accounts looked good this past spring, but those are also the only times he's ever been healthy his entire NFL career - and this is a guy who came out of college year later than originally anticipated because of an injury.

If we weren't a team that's already so racked by injuries and guys that have trouble staying healthy, I'd say go for it. It's a situation similar to DX from last season. But as the DX endeavor also showed this season, with guys who start down this road to chronic injuries, it's almost never a matter of if but when.

• Informative Informative x 1