1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Final Cuts

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Sydalish, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,351
    Has he fully recovered? From what I saw of his play last year, it really looked like he lost a step.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +290
    He's my backup after Jimmy Graham, I hope he has a monster season, especially when Saints are on a bye.

3. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,583
    He only played 5 games last year, I'd be surprised if he was full speed at all. But like Freeney/Floyd I think there is still some upside there if healthy.

4. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +750
    Chargers RG Jeromey Clary underwent an additional hip surgery "about a week ago," and may miss the entire 2014 season.

He's now had two hip operations in a three-month span. Clary will open the season on reserve/PUP, and likely stay there for all of 2014. Johnnie Troutman is now San Diego's starting right guard after beating out rookie Chris Watt. Pro Football Focus gave Troutman plus run-blocking grades -- and Clary miserable ones -- so this could actually be an upgrade for Ryan Mathews

• Like Like x 1
  5. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I love the smell of football in the morning.

Ratings:
    +1,124
    ^^^ We will know how good this upgrade is once they hit the dance floor on September 8th.

6. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,583
  7. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,376
    Vickerson on the way?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,124
  9. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,376
    Shocker...... another ex-Colt. ;)

Michael Gehlken @UTgehlken · 3m
    Chargers add a D-lineman: former Colts nose tackle Ricardo Mathews, they announced.

10. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +492
    It's about time that we get a "Ricardo". We haven't had that name for quite a while. A bunch of Antonios but no Ricardos.

11. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,376
    Does that mean we get a Lucy too? ;)

[​IMG]

12. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +492
    You left out a "K" ;)

13. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,376
    Our luck may be changing....

Michael Gehlken @UTgehlken · 44m
    Chargers LB Manti Te'o (foot), NT Sean Lissemore (ankle) and DE Lawrence Guy (shoulder) are practicing today. First time in weeks for each.

14. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,760
    I'm more concerned about Lissemore and Lawrence than Te'O right now. I sure hope I'm wrong but Te'O looks like a guy on the wrong side of good to me.

15. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,376
    The Jacob Hester of ILBs? ;)

16. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,760
    That might be a bit to steep. Te'O just looks slow like a lost little kid in the grocery store. I don't know how else to explain it.

17. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +491
    I believe it's been mentioned before, but Te'o's issues could just be that he still has to think and he's not just reacting (similar to Jammers first few years). I have noticed that the dude has above average tackling ability (when he gets there). We should know this year if it's ever going to get better, I'm almost certain that the game is slowing down for him and an epiphany or coming-out game is going to happen this year. Hopefully, before the playoffs. <insert Jim Mora rant here>

18. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,583
    Could be, but it's contrary to everything we've heard about him in practice.

It could be we really haven't seen him healthy for an extended period of time yet.
    It could be the 1 time we did see him healthy we were playing against the Seahawks and our D-line was getting dominated.
    It could be guys like LBC were correct in their pre-draft analysis, that he just doesn't belong in a 3-4 scheme.

Regardless its way to early to throw in the towel like some are doing.

19. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,124
    This keeping keeping of the squad to just under the 53-man limit is interesting, like Telesco is posturing to make a bigger move. For example, he picks up Ricardo Mathews. Could the guy legitimately be lineman or depth for the squad? Of course he could. For all intents and purposes, he could play this week perhaps. But what if a better lineman becomes available, what then? Trade the guy out, or just drop him and get the better deal. Like musical chairs, one out, a new one in. Only TT knows when to stop the music...

Maybe these 'final cuts' aren't so final after all.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  20. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,583
    We have 53 on the roster, only 9 on the practice squad though.

21. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +492
    True but we are waiting to see if Grice clears waivers and whether he will be asked back to join the Chargers PS. Plus as for veterans go, sneaking them into the PS becomes a lot trickier depending on their accrued NFL games. Which player are we talking about in this instance? Ricardo Mathews?

22. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,760
    Jammer had the tools from day one, he found out very quickly that NFL receivers were able to beat him at every turn of the game until he refined his technique including finding the ball in flight.

I do agree with your assessment of Te'O but he'll have to learn to satay home and play his responsibility tightly as he lacks make up speed. From what little I've seen through camp of him I don't know if he was getting blown up and knocked out of the play or just doesn't know what the hell to do.

It used to be a given that a player was basically in training mode for the first two years of his career. In today game it's all at microwave speed, I find myself getting caught up within it too. That old "I want him to be a pro bowler yesterday type thinking" unfair to think that way but it's where the game seems to be going.

23. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Concerned Bolt Fan

Ratings:
    +214
    NORV! :mad: