1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Final Mock Drafts of 2014

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by matilack, May 2, 2014.

1. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +771
    In a poll of 19 NFL personnel men, Oklahoma State's Justin Gilbert received 12 first-place votes as the draft's top cornerback.

Ohio State's Bradley Roby garnered three first-place votes and Michigan State's Darqueze Dennard got two, while Virginia Tech's Kyle Fuller and TCU's Jason Verrett each got one. At just under 6-foot, 202 with 4.37 jets and 33 1/8-inch arms, Gilbert pretty clearly offers the highest ceiling in this year's cornerback group. Unfortunately, he needs a lot of technique work and can be allergic to contact. We still expect Gilbert to be a top-16 draft pick.

2. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,610
    Jay Glazer reporting (and this guy is never F'n wrong) the Browns will NOT take Manziel at 4.

Good news for us, as long as they don't take a QB at all at 4.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +771
    I was having this conversation earlier today with guy about Manziel, I said I think at the earliest he would go in the 20's, he said no way and he should go number 1.

I replied there are probably 10 can't miss prospects and 22 other players I like before I would even consider the first QB. Even though the QB position is a higher priority than any other position, I just feel its too risky. The other funny thing is all the teams that are in need of a QB were the teams that had the early run with Gabbert, Locker, Ponder, Etc. 2 years ago.
    would make more sense to get your true player then trade back into the latter half to get your QB. Best case is we could raise our asking price, if teams get desperate.

4. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +382
    You guys have all thrown Trent Murphy and his 41.5 tackles for loss and 25 sacks against Pac 12 competition as a Jr and Sr, under the bus. Telesco thus far has only drafted guys who have been thrown under the bus for stupid reasons.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    Murphy would by legitimate value at #57. Much more athletic than your typical Cardinal rush LB prospect.

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,602
    I'll throw one more against the wall, what the hell

1) Jason Verrett CB TCU
    Don't see Fuller or Roby dropping to us
    2) Louis Nix NT Notre Dame
    Type casting means the guy the team wanted initially is available in the second
    3) Kelvin Benjamin WR Florida State
    Falling WR, questions during draft process, playmaker in college, where have I heard this from?
    4) Billy Turner OL North Dakota State
    Can play guard but could be molded into an impressive LT
    5) Brandon Thomas OL Clemson
    What's the lesson from 2013? You gotta keep Rivers well protected
    6) Gabe Ikard C Oklahoma
    Will go center at some point in the draft
    7) Ben Gardner OLB Stanford
    Chargers showing a lot of interest in him

7. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +116
    its easy murphy doesnt stand out, and he wouldnt fit us.

8. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +382
    Good effort Ant but I the chances of the Chargers drafting Billy Turner who is the most technically awkward lineman I have ever scouted are slim to none. Also, the Chargers are looking for speed at WR, remember what Telesco said. They wanted Steve Smith, not Hakeem Nicks. They want a certain kind of guy to line up across from Keenan Allen and Kelvin Benjamin is not that guy.

Gardner is interesting but his size is a concern and he plays more like a 5 tech and is undersized for the position with his frame. I doubt the Chargers draft a rush linebacker late, they already have a number of mediocre depth guys to push the guys in front... if the Chargers do DE/OLB it will be early and it will be on a guy with distinct talents and production.

9. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +382
    This is the MTL mock..... all these kids fit the bill of overlooked players Telesco has made a tendency of taking thus far.

1 – Jason Verrett, CB, TCU

Reason: Most talented CB in the draft in terms of pure coverage skills. If he were two inches taller he would be the first CB off the board. The Chargers will experiment with one of the smallest defensive backfields in NFL history with 5'11 Wright, 5'9 Verrett, 5'11 Weddle, 5'9 Jahleel Addae and 5'9 Steve Williams. Does height really matter? We will find out. We are already midgets, we might as well take the most talented midget CB to come along in a long time.

2 – Trent Murphy, DE/OLB, Stanford

Reason: Has kind of fallen off the radar but there's a reason this kid destroyed the Pac 12. He wasn't handed anything, he has worked for everything he has achieved. His statistical production speaks for itself. Because there are no speedy WRs the Chargers would take at the end of round 2 IMO they go two defensive selections in a row. Just because he isn't a speed demon edge rusher doesn't mean we shouldn't take him….. he gets sacks. He gets TFLs….. he just wins. 6'5 250, 34 inch arms 11 1/8 inch hands.

3 – Paul Richardson, WR, Colorado

Reason: Might have seen his stock drop a bit, could be snatched up like Allen was and stolen if enough teams pass on him. Has some issues with his small hands and catching and needs to work on his routes but is a field stretcher with a big football resume, early entry and could be a game changer. Supposedly upped his weight to 180 from 175 at the combine…. fits the type of receiver we are looking for to complement Keenan Allen. Has talent and because of his skinny frame and developing game, might be hard for teams to pull the trigger on him for a while and we could see him fall into our lap. Worth gambling on.

4 – Zach Kerr, DT, Delaware

Reason: Most of the NTs suck in this draft but we need some competition badly. Kerr isn't a traditional NT but shoots gaps like a pro and seems to fit what Pagano wants to do so we take him and let the team try to mold him into a stud. Has potential to be used as a situational interior rusher. Not sure if 4 is too early for him but it's late 4 and there are only so many guys with his size/athleticism. Outperformed Louis Nix in athletic testing and his athleticism warrants the pick at this spot. Was recruited by many schools with histories of pumping out NFL quality defensive tackles before going to Maryland and then transferring to Delaware.

5 – Corey Linsley, C, Ohio State

Reason: We need a developmental C and Linsley was the leader of a monster offensive line at a huge school and football program. Is competitive and intelligent. Was a high star recruit for Ohio State and has the kind of intangibles that make for a quality NFL player. Can ride the bench and learn the offense and apply himself in athletic training until we need him to step in. Is a better prospect than Weston Richburg IMO.

6 – Damian Copeland, WR, Louisville

Reason: The Chargers double dip on WR with Vincent Brown and Eddie Royal unlikely to be resigned. Copeland lit up the combine with a 4.5 40, 40 inch vertical, had the fastest 3 cone drill and top 20 and 60 yard shuttles. His short area agility and jumping ability is elite. Because of his injury history and limit as a #2-#4, he will not be selected until the 3rd day. With him available here the Chargers jump on it. Reminiscent of Eric Parker. Telesco steals another elite athlete like he stole Steve Williams who put up insane testing #'s yet was thrown under the bus.

7 – Brian Clarke, OG, Bloomsburg

Reason: Put up good athletic testing #'s the Chargers can take him and let him ride the bench for a year while Joe D transforms him into an animal. Can bench 225 35 times, is a strong, tough, blue collar lineman. Could be another small school gem interior lineman and Bloomsburg has produced a few in the past. The Chargers are satisfied with the situation at guard right now and with his natural strength, athleticism and work ethic, is nice clay for Joe D.

• Like Like x 1
  10. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +382
    Define "stand out". The guy had the respect of every coach in college football, was beloved by Jim Harbaugh and dominated Pac 12 competition. Like I said, you're throwing him under the bus. Nobody gives a **** if he looked bad playing 4-3 DE at the senior bowl and Dee Ford looked like the second coming of Lawrence Taylor.

11. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +382
    Yeah guys, Trent Murphy was a key cog in an elite defense in the nation but we should forget him and instead focus on Justin Ellis in the 3rd round, a guy who could barely stay on the field because he ran out of breath so quickly and whose defense gave up 40 pts to NC State, 35 pts to Army's triple option, 35 pts to Utep's dogshit offense, 30 pts to Texas-San Antonio and 52 pts to Rice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +382
    Also I think my mock offers the Chargers a good mix of high end bling potential with Verrett, Richardson and Copeland being all phenomenal, cat-quick athletes.... then you have tough *** mother fuckers in the trenches in Murphy and Brian Clarke then Linsley and Kerr are solid through and through although they have some finesse to their games they are not pushovers and offer above average anchor potential in the middle.

Good mix of toughness and game-breaking speed.

13. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,039
    I'm actually on board with this. Only difference I could see is swapping out Copeland for another underappreciated WR with similar elite athleticism on tape in New Mexico State's Austin Franklin only some of which showed up in the workouts (the explosion numbers were there and definitely translate to the tape).

14. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,610
    Not bad at all, I just don't know if Murphy is going to get sacks at this level. But I don't love the alternative options at this point either so I can't complain too much.

15. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +382
    interestingly enough for all the **** murphy gets about his athleticism he posted the 9th best 3 cone drill out of ANY defensive prospect invited to the combine and his arm length is good and hand size is absolutely freakish. listen he is a bit of an enigma but i'll tell you what, when you look at other late 2nd DE's selected the past few years, he has a much better chance of being an impact football player than margus hunt, jamie collins, vinny curry, da'quan bowers, brooks reed, etc...

the reality is nobody knows if he'll get sacks at this level..... that's why you take him at the end of the 2nd. his length, ridiculous hand size, maturity, competitiveness and pedigree should not be overlooked. it seems like he could be the kind of player who is just a huge load for offensive tackles to deal with over the course of a game and he will gradually wear the opposition down. he understands football concepts and gap containment which is great. he uses his hands well and when he rushes the passer he rarely gets stopped in his tracks and is able to push upfield with consistency.

the guy played against top competition and practiced against NFL quality offensive linemen. there's no guarantee we'll take him but people are dismissing him pretty much because he's white and looked out of place with his hand in the dirt in offseason practice sessions.

IMO he would be much like teo..... would struggle at first to get on the field but after 8-10 weeks once he fully absorbs the system and knows what he's doing, that's when he can go at it 100% and do his thing.

16. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +382
    also not to be ignored is that murphy never regressed in terms of statistical production at stanford and you like to see that consistent improvement. dude also had two ints for TDs in his last two seasons and 11 PDs and is a very good tackler who strikes true and doesn't let guys escape.

17. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +382
    I can see Austin Franklin being in the mix with Copeland. These are the kinds of guys I believe the Chargers will target if they go in that direction, not the Robert Herrons, Jalen Saunders and Bruce Ellingtons of the draft... none of those guys strike me as Chargers guys. Copeland and Franklin do.

18. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +125
    Another guy thats interesting to me, though will probably go earlier than Copeland/Franklin, is Shaq Evans. Similar kind of athleticism, but also very clean rout running, and solid hands from what i remember. If he drops a little, Devin Street is also a really intriguing option. I'd add Josh Huff to that, but thats just one of my Oregon guys that i really love (and could probably never make a real opinion on at this point, along with Mariota, T Mitch, DAT, Ifo, and Arik Armstead and especially Tyler Johnstone), so its hard to tell if its biased or if i think he'd be a good fit.

Also i really like your mock, and if Pauline is telling the truth, then the Chargers really like Corey Linsley too, and from what i've seen of him, i would have no reason not to love the guy. I'm not entirely sold on Richardson, but I'd be willing to take the risk in the 3rd.

Linsley is a guy i could actually see playing LG for a year and sliding over inside to C if he can gain about 5-15 lbs of bulk before the start of next year. I really like his physicality, playing strength and quickness out of his stance, he's tailor made for this blocking scheme it looks like.

Also i think Kerr has the potential to handle double teams pretty easily, not just be a 1 gap, penetrating type NT.

Also i think Clarke is a little to similar to Linsley for me to sink a draft pick into him. If we were going after another project OL, i'd go with another guy that we've visited. Either Garrett Scott, a REALLY athletic OG/OT from Marshall (i really like his play personally), Jordan Pughsley or possibly even an OT project like KaDeem Williams. The latter two of these guys have gotten quite a bit of attention, meeting with 4 or 5 different teams.

19. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,039
    Jamie Collins is the only one of those names I'd take exception with. I'm not convinced the Pats are playing him at his best position, or to his best utility, but metrically he tested through the roof in ways that other uber-athletes like Hunt, Bowers, etc. didn't.

One thing that should be pointed out about Murphy's game that's rare for prospects (literally, probably only Demarcus Lawrence and a few others... Shaquille Richardson, who had the benefit of learning at the knee of Joey Porter), his handwork and use of advanced pass-rushing techniques is already on display. It's not just one single move, he uses counters effectively, he sets up guys by varying his moves and what his counter from one particular first move is to keep blockers guessing. The downside is the question of upside, but again, that's why the value you want is him in the late 2nd.

20. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +382
    kerr has a lot of work to do once he gets into the league but he's not a vaughn martin. the competition he faced early in his college career and at delaware is like 10-15 times more advanced than canadian university competition. most canadian university teams would get destroyed by the elite high school teams in the usa.

i don't know who this pauline guy is but linsley is a guy i've had on my radar for a while and with the limited center class and the chargers need for a replacement eventually, he fits the profile of what telesco looks for. intelligent understands football concepts with a 3.3 GPA, big football resume prized recruit, is a C/G versatile enough to play guard in emergency situations, played in a big program and started every game the past two years for a dominant ohio state team. isn't the best athlete out there but he can hold a line together.

to be honest i'm not a fan of devin street at all. i don't see the chargers pulling the trigger on any of those guys really, unless evans is available very late perhaps they would consider him. copeland is a superior athlete to those guys and looks dynamite on film. i don't think huff is a telesco kid.

i can also see the chargers doubling down on CB if they don't on WR.

21. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +382

remind anyone else a bit of eric parker but more athletic? copeland is a fraction of an inch shorter and 4 lbs heavier, both come back to the ball very well, work the boundary very well and are very agile. can be lined up along the boundaries or in the slot. weapon.

22. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +125
    Also i think i just inadvertently added another trend in my Joe D book of preferences. Almost all the interior guy's he's looked at have very good to elite skills blocking at the second level. Linsley is a perfect example of that, but all the guys he's looked at are very good at that, who seem to be OG's (Garrett Scott and Linsley particularly).

Also Pauline is a sports writer who covers the Chargers and just the NFL in general, but he tweeted that he has sources saying SD really likes Linsley and are willing to take him in the mid rounds, he's the same guy that said the Chargers loved Fluker as well, so take it for what its worth.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +125
    I really like Copeland, and aparently there's at least one chargers scouts that love him too (remember seeing something about that around the time of the shrine game/Sr Bowl). But i dont get what you mean about Huff being a "telesco kid". I know the guy a little, but he went through some pretty rough stuff, but really turned his life around his Soph or Jr. year i can definitely attest to that change. Read this article on him....http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2013/09/oregon_football_ducks_receiver.html

I honestly think that if we do double up on CB's T Mitch would be an interesting fit for us, with great short area quickness, but a little lacking in long speed, and really solid instincts. Never going to be a standout guy, but i think he can be a great backup/spot starter for a long time.

24. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +382
    interesting. i wonder if they think linsley is late 3rd round good. i mean he has nfl starter traits....... it will all depend what the pool looks like at the end of the 3rd. thinking about it more now, i have a feeling this kid might end up going late 3rd-mid 4th.

25. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +125
    Its possible, i think that a 3rd to 4th round grade is what Pauline meant by mid rounds. I cant say i'd be overly upset or even concerned about any pick the chargers made at this point on the OL at least, I trust Coach D to know exactly what he's looking for as much as almost any coach in this league.

26. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +771
    Tony Pauline is also saying he's hearing The Chargers may consider Joel Bitonio at 25

27. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,610
    Yuck.

Not the player, just the position value. We need speed on both sides, we need playmakers, Joe D can develop the O-line.

28. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +382
    If Cooks and Verrett are off the board, I could see Bitonio to the Chargers at 25. They know he won't be there in the late 2nd. For all the people mocking Louis Nix and Jeremiah Attaochu to the Chargers at 25, the likelihood is that neither are in the cluster and Bitonio is. Others have mocked Darqueze Dennard or Kony Ealy to the Chargers, I don't think either are in the Chargers cluster either.

What I would be surprised about is if the Chargers were to select Bitonio with a Verrett or Cooks still on the board. I mean, maybe I could conceive them grading him higher than Cooks but not Verrett unless they have some serious concerns about something we don't know about. Remember, Telesco was comfortable with a lot of undersized CBs in Indy. Also I think the Chargers will have graded Bitonio higher than Su'a Filo and his ability to potentially play left tackle protects the Chargers in the event of Dunlap sucking or leaving.

I definitely think Bitonio is part of the Chargers 1st round cluster, just not at the top.

• Like Like x 1
  29. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    Agreed, nice player, but that would suck.

MtlBoltsFan's mock is pretty good. That's a draft I could get behind, despite the fact that I'm not really in love with any of the top three picks. It's a solid draft.

30. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,039
    I've seen reports coming firsthand from Bitonio saying that a number of teams have been evaluating him at center as well. If that's the case it certainly pushed the position value.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk