1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

'Final' offer given to LT....

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Boltergeist, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    From Acee...link on the SDUT forums...too lazy to dig it up.

Typical AJ fashion....Ultimatum to try to make a franchise icon look bad while he gets kicked in the *** out the door. Even if it is the final offer, why else publicize it? Obviously the Chargers know they are low balling and have no intention to keep LT.

I think it's over. :icon_evil:

2. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Its gonna be running back by committee even if LT stays. Which I hope he will.

Folks have to realize its a buisness. And the buisness is to try and win next year and in the future. Alot of famous football stars have had to go through what LT and the chargers are going through.

• Like Like x 1
  3. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
  4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,632
    AJ's tired of his hands being tied up by LT me thinks

5. timepiece33

timepiece33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25
    How many at age 30?

Tied from doing what?

• Like Like x 1
  6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,632
    Until LT is signed we are a bit limited as to how much cap space is available to resign long term our other big players like Rivers/Merriman/Sproles/etc

7. timepiece33

timepiece33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25
    Sproles is locked into the franchise tag, so any contract signed for him will alleviate cap pressure this year.

Rivers was the 4th pick in the draft (has a high salary) and most big contracts have deferred money creating a lower cap hit. Again, his contract is likely to alleviate cap pressure this year if signed

Merriman is coming of an ACL injury. You think they are in a rush to sign him?

Outside of Ed McGuire's time, there is little to prevent them from acting on the other contracts.

8. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +127
    Right now I hope LT walks away and the Chargers win the SB without him and his damn crying. Let him go play somewhere else for all I care. We can win with him or without him. I am tired of seeing him and his camp crying about a multimillion contract being a slap in the face. Dump his butt now and lets move on.

• Like Like x 2
  9. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    30 for a running back is getting up there. And LT has been hinting that he wants to retire soon anyway. He'd be smart actually if he did. I can understand why LT wants to play one or two more years. He wants a few more records. He can stay with the chargers and get those records if he wants. But at a more reasonable price so we can keep other players we need to keep. LT isn't the only player on the team.

10. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    LT had an injury last year and played through it...just like he had injuries in 2004 and 2005 and played through them and didn't have his greatest years while in his prime.....People talked about him falling off then.....and look what happened in 2006 when fully healthy and when he actually got some blocking. He still produces big numbers even in his worst year while injured.

LT will rip up the league somewhere next year...and it unfortunately won't be for us. Sure, he will split time just like Brandon Jacobs and Deangelo Williams did last year....just like just about every good team is doing with the current two back trend.

The sad part is that the Chargers could keep LT at his current salary and be just fine for 2009...We aren't signing any big name free agents....any big signing bonuses to lock in Rivers and /or Merriman could be done next year in an uncapped year. We have a legit shot this year...with a healthy LT to make a run....without him, we aren't going anywhere. Maybe one and done in the playoffs again....and we'll all be complaining about whatever runningback that has to step into his huge shoes.

I fear that the Spanoses and AJ are now just trying to nickel and dime so they can save the money for the buyout of the Qualcomm lease next year to move to LA. If that's the case, F them and F the Chargers.

LT leaves, I'll still be a Chargers fan....a bitter one...but a Chargers fan.....If they move to LA....I will give up 30 or so years of bleeding for this team.....They might as well be the Raiders if they are in LA as far as I'm concerned.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    Yea because those couple of million dollars will be the deciding factor in seeing if they can afford to move.

Also when they move they will move next year, even though they said they won't and there won't be a stadium in LA ready.. You sure hit the nail on the head with this one.

12. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111

That...plus not signing any of our own marquee fa's this year...plus not signing even moderate FA's who COULD help this team next year......but that's right...we locked in our 'stars' like worthless Luis Castillo, Jyles Tucker, and Nick Softwick.

They can easily buy out and are expected to next year...play in the Colloseum or Rose Bowl for a year or two while they build their fan base (and they'd be happy to take that revenue) and then move into new digs. If they don't lock in that deal,they risk the Jags, Vikes, or Raiders doing it.

Thanks anyway for your weak attempt at an insult, cupcake.

13. sdbound

sdbound New Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

14. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +491
    I don't see where the "insult" or "low-balling" is (like some of you) it doesn't say what the offer is. only that is lower than his contract (we all knew that) :icon_shrug:

15. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99
    You guys are nuts if you think LA is going to be a good market for the chargers. They ( Los Angelinos) are not going to jump right into the SanDiego Chargers. They want their own team.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +447
    I know it is hard to do but...... IF u can remove yourself from the situation emotionally and look at it objectively. If LT decides the Charger offer is not good enough for him then it is time for everyone to move on.

I can't imagine he is being low-balled because if this got out AJ/the Spanos would never live it down. What he is being offered surely is fair considering the situation.

LT has suffered season ending injuries the last 2 seasons, the most recent being v v serious. His next one might be the end of him physically. One has to be realistic when judging this.

LT is the best thing to ever happen to the Chargers but the Chargers will be playing long after he is finished. One can only hope he returns and if he is to retire early he does so as a Charger.

:icon_toast:

Oh and he should get his mom to STFU. :icon_evil:

17. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    On his way to the SB with another team, I hope he runs right through your colon.

Good post, DB. LEt's just not drag this thing out. LT - make a decision. Don't talk about it to the media, just do it. If you're here, fine - give your best effort & be a team player. If you leave, best of luck & thanks for the memories.

18. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,763
    I hope AJ at least tries to trade him or give LT's camp permission to make the best deal. LT is still under contract so he may come back anyway, it doesn't look good but who knows at this juncture.

19. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +447
    He won't be traded that's for sure. This respect thing comes into play in that regard. Rather he'll be released so he can pick and choose where he wants to go.

• Like Like x 1
  20. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976

Why would a team trade?

If they are shopping him around, that is just telling everyone they are trying to move him, and we may in fact just release him. Why trade when you can get him for free!

21. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,763
    I know what your saying but LT is still under contract. It seems to me that LT is losing his respect in the eye's of most fans.

I'm in the camp of wanting him to hang his cleats up a Bolt, but if push comes to shove at least try and get something for him.

22. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,763
    See my reply to H8ter.

23. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
    LT still thinks he can still play at the top of his game.

AJ is thinking LT skills are declining.

LT is going to another Team, and it will be after he is released.

Football is a business now, and all us fans do now is supply the owners money.

• Like Like x 1
  24. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
  25. timepiece33

timepiece33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25
    Unfortunately, how exactly do we get better without Tomlinson? Next year?

There are enough examples of RB's at 30/31 who have strong years to discount this generalization. LT is 1 year removed from a pro bowl caliber year and still put up 1200 yards on an injured foot behind an OL that was struggling with injuries as well (Hardwick was a shell of his former self, McNeil had a down year, and Goff couldn't walk).

To me, it seems like the national media is going to hammer AJ and he's being typecast as something less than he is. For one of the better GM's in the game, he is being typecast as an egomaniac who gets rid of good players.

How many times do you believe getting rid of Tomlinson, Brees, and Turner will be mentioned if it happens?

• Like Like x 1
  26. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +127
    Get a running back that will be healthy in the post season? LT hasn't done much in the post season the last 2 years.

27. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,684
    it's sad that it has come to this...

and damnit, why is this going on when I have to go to class. there will be no concentrating for me today ><

i'll be praying to the football gods that LT signs and stays here. we need him as much as he needs us and if he leaves, it's the fans who truly pay the price.

28. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +905
    Because if A.J. doesn't roll over for players and their agents, he's a dick, and his ego is getting in the way. Haven't you been reading this forum?

29. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    when did LT cry? whats tiring is fans whining and complaining about NFL players trying to get the best deal possible. its a business, not a charity specifically for you.

after all he was top 5 in the AFC in rushing, even behind half an offensive line, no MT, and the receivers also being injured most of the year. its sad that the worst year of his career hes still a top 10 back in the league and fans just want to dump him

• Like Like x 2
  30. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    theres a difference between 'rolling over' and being equitable. you think sproles deserves more than LT? based on last year alone? the stats dont agree with that argument