1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Finally, a good rule change coming?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Competition Committee proposes killing the chop block

Earlier this month, we said it’s time to get rid of the chop block completely. The Competition Committee agrees.

Deliberations on dumping the chop block have resulted in a proposal from the Competition Committee that the chop block be scuttled completely. If at least 24 owners agree, it will indeed go away.

Currently, chop blocks are permitted in two situations, on running plays only. First, two offensive players who were lined up next to each other on the line of scrimmage at the snap may chop a defensive player on a running play. Second, two offensive players who were lined up more than one position away from each other on the line of scrimmage at the snap may chop a defensive player if the flow of the player is toward the block.

The only exception would apply when the defender initiates contact with a blocker above the waist, or if the blocker is trying to slip or escape an opponent and the contact is incidental.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Any idea when the vote happens.

I think Denver owners will vote to keep it.

3. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    No, I assume the next owners meeting, whenever that is.

4. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
    you know which rules I would like to see?

1) no automatic first down, I hate seeing a 3rd and 18 incompletion become a first down with a 5 yard penalty and automatic first down

2) this one is tricky, near the goalline, penalties to both teams would be half the distance to the goal, I hate it that a holding for one team (the one with their backs to the goalline) is one yard (half the distance) but for the other team it can be the full ten yards, doesn´t seem fair

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,725
    They need to do away with the coin flip. Replace it with Rock, Paper, Scissors, best two out of three.

6. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    I can't remember where I saw it but this sounded like a great idea. Remember when Amendola blindsided that KC player? Well it was on the NE 5 or something and half the distance made it 1st and 10 from 2.5 yard line. I saw someone say with the fifteen yard penalty you move it back but then it's 1st and 25 from the 2.5. Seemed like a good idea because a 2.5 unnecessary roughness is nothing

7. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +272
    i think eliminate the coin flip and the home team ALWAYS kicks off to begin the game.

• Like Like x 1
  8. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I'm always for less complicated. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  9. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,725
    Replace "gun" with "bum."

spock-fascinating-o.gif

10. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Could they please just fix what constitutes a catch? Two feet/one knee with full possession, THE END. What happens AFTER you have hit the ground AFTER having made a catch and being legally down shouldn't matter. The current rule pisses me off to no end.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Agreed. Anytime the guy falls out of bounds, or in the end zone, or crossing the plane of the goal line (with full possession) the ball should be immediately considered dead. If the ground causes the drop after that, I don't give two shits, it should still be a catch. As far as in the middle of the field, the current rule is fine because the clock doesn't stop in that area.

I also want to get rid of the stupid QB helmet slapping rule. Where after the ball is thrown the pass rusher's hand makes contact with the QBs helmet, and they award 15 yards, is completely asinine. It didn't affect the pass, it didn't rip the QBs helmet off, it didn't twist his neck...lets move on.

Oh! And lets get rid of the TUCK rule! If the QB "intends" to bring the ball back down, then in my opinion that means he "INTENDS" to keep possession; and when he doesn't that should be considered a ******* fumble!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,725
    How come this only happens to Bradee or any other team that the Chargers play against??

13. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635

• Like Like x 1
  14. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Didn't they get rid of the tuck rule a few years ago?

15. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,725
    ^^^ I thought that they called a tackle/fumble on a QB made this year during a game by one of our guys and cited the tuck rule?

16. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    NFL bans all chop blocks
    [​IMG]

The chop block is no longer legal in the National Football League.

For decades, defensive players have complained about chop blocks, which happen when one offensive player blocks a defensive player low while another offensive player blocks the defensive player high. In recent years, the NFL has added more restrictions to cut down on chop blocks, but today the league voted to ban them entirely.

Defensive linemen will celebrate the league’s decision, which came from a vote of the NFL’s owners at today’s meeting. Some offensive linemen and coaches, however, believe that in certain situations chop blocks are fair game and are necessary to properly block on certain plays.

Ultimately, the NFL decided that with its increased emphasis on player safety, the league simply couldn’t justify allowing a move that so many players say can lead to serious knee injuries. And so the 2016 season will mark the first year in the history of the NFL that all chop blocks are illegal, all the time.

17. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,725
    Someone needs to hand deliver this message to the Donks and Patsies O-linemen and their crooked-assed coaches.

18. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Anyone notice that the NFL is moving touchbacks to the 25 yard line this upcoming season? That might make returns even more rare. Why risk running it out of the endzone, if you can just kneel down and get it at the 25?

19. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Or it'll give kicking team more incentive to try to kick it in play and pin them inside the 25, knowing they lose an extra 5 yards if they just kick it through the endzone. Could backfire.

20. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    So, Nick's inability to get it in the end zone could be an advantage? Oh, the Lambo haters will have a field day. :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  21. Slam

Slam BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +137
    It was the Kansas City game.

Called rivers a fumble

Called Alex Smith, an incomplete pass, even though he was tucking

And that was the game...

And our whole season