1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Finest City has let too many get away

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

By Nick Canepa , UNION-TRIBUNE COLUMNIST
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010

We have seen them come, train, improve to goodness (in some cases greatness), connect with the populace, and then go, leaving San Diego as though they were moonshiners being chased by revenuers. Such is the case with many athletes who initially earned their keep in America’s Finest City to Leave.
    In short, we haven’t had a gaggle of Tony Gwynns, who shoved their sneakers into our concrete and decided to stay put. In many cases, it wasn’t their choice to either be traded away or allowed to leave for little or nothing in return.
    And that stinks.
    The latest to join Lance Alworth , Drew Brees, LaDainian Tomlinson , Fred Dean, John Jefferson, Dave Winfield, Ozzie Smith, Kevin Brown, Jake Peavy, Trevor Hoffman , Fred McGriff and Roberto Alomar on the outbound express could be Vincent Jackson, the Chargers’ most accomplished and feared wide receiver, who also doubles as their most troubled.
    According to our Kevin Acee, who knows the Chargers like the knot in his tie, the team will listen to other NFL clubs willing to trade for Jackson’s services. They are out there. Of course they are. This is one of the better pass catchers and deep threats in football.
    Jackson and left offensive tackle Marcus McNeill are restricted free agents who refused to agree to the team’s one-year tenders of more than $3 million (later trimmed to about $600,000). They don’t plan on reporting to the club until the season’s 11th game.
    In other words, they’re willing (for now) to take a $2.5 million hit while staring at a lockout year in 2011, which would mean they might not get paid what they believe they should until at least 2012. Bad advice.
    I hate to see good players leave here. Hate it. McNeill, who could be slipped a franchise tag in 2011, probably won’t go, and the Chargers have no plans to deal Philip Rivers’ blindside protector. In Jackson’s case, it’s almost a good-riddance thing, but I’m not quite ready to do a Pontius Pilate and wash my hands of the Pro Bowler, because he’s very good and the team probably won’t be as successful without him.
    It’s just that he’s always seemed much brighter than he’s behaved, which, on at least two occasions that we know of, has been stupidly.
    One drunken-driving conviction was enough, his second DUI a thousand too many. There is no excuse to drive drunk, even less for people who have enough money to hail a cab. I don’t get it, never will. And then Jackson went and got himself cuffed by the cops for whatever he was doing while driving to the stadium in January for the playoff game with the Jets. Nothing came of that little indiscretion, but before a playoff game?
    This is a man who has managed to evade cornerbacks much better than he has the law. You drink, you drive, it doesn’t matter if you don’t get caught. You’re an idiot.
    Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith, currently vacationing, says he’s stuck, in a way, not really eager to hand out the long-term contracts Jackson and McNeill want, with the uncertainty of 2011. But that doesn’t mean he can’t. Miami sent a second-round draft choice to Denver for Brandon Marshall, very similar to Jackson, and gave him a four-year, $47.5 million deal. And Marshall is not Captain Kangaroo, either.
    Smith showed no reluctance to trade away cornerback Antonio Cromartie (troubled) to the Jets or dump safety Kevin Ellison (troubled). I’m sure he isn’t thrilled about trading Jackson, but it could be the GM’s had one headache too many. Don’t forget, though, these are all A.J.’s guys. He found and recruited these problem children.
    As it is, even if Jackson returns late in the season, the NFL likely will slap a suspension on him for his double-DUIs, possibly for one game, two games, maybe more. If that happens, the receiver wouldn’t be of a whole lot of use in 2010. If left without a long-term deal, he no doubt would be out of here with not much in return in 2011.
    That’s the biggest thing. I’m tired of nothing-in-return San Diego. Smith, knowing full well Rivers was going to be his future quarterback, waited a year too long to trade Brees in a league desperate for good quarterbacks. Brees thus became a free agent with a severely damaged throwing shoulder and the Chargers got zilch for the QB who would be Super Bowl MVP with New Orleans last February.
    That’s just it. Smith has to get something really good for this guy. If other teams, who couldn’t draft and develop their own, want your best players, then they should have to pay through the ears for them. A draft pick is a total unknown. Vincent Jackson, on the field, anyway, is not. Tight end Antonio Gates could be seeing a lot more double coverage.
    They should sign both of them, sign them before training camp — while sitting heavily on Jackson — but that’s me. It’s not my dough.
    Alas, this is a team that traded Lance Alworth, the football equivalent of the Vatican swapping the Pope for a cardinal to be named later.

2. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    He's not going anywhere. No matter where he goes he will not get a long term deal right now, so he

3. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Did you run out of ink????:icon_shrug:

4. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    Helloooo....anybody there? Helllloooooo...operator.... :lol:

5. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    sorry guys, got kidnapped by that guy candle ja

6. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    You said it brother! Finally someone who feels just like I do. Sign em AJ. If there is a lockout I'll eat my hat. :tup: if we didn't have such a great passer at the helm I would say screw it but these two together are really something special.

7. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Here's the meat and potatoes of the article. I couldn't agree more with everything here. The players are taking bad advice and behaving inappropriately. The tenders were fair and the climate isn't conducive to long-term deals. DEAL with it, literally.

It's just a miserable shame that it also includes not having these players on the field producing for the team. We WILL face a problem losing Jackson, his idiocy aside, and Big Mac's absence will most likely mean that Rivers will have to adjust his rhythm.

This is not good; that is for damn sure.

• Like Like x 1