1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Fire Marty

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Ride The Lightning, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    This run run run **** is ridiculous. We're just BEGGING the Raiders to get back into this game.

Give the kid a shot you frickin' NO BALLS having motherfugger

:censored:

2. Buttmunch

Buttmunch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    I 100% agree. Marty needs to let Cam run the gameplan. While I absolutely agree that they need to run the clock, etc, we're only up by 13 pts. That's nothing. We're giving the Raiders more opportunities than they deserve to catch up.

I phuking hate Marty ball.

3. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Probably because they want to get LT used to the hits. Wear him in and such.

Plus, let Rivers get comfortable with a win.

I expect we'll be throwing lots more in our home opener this coming Sunday.

4. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Yeah if it wasn't for Marty we might have won by 40. :icon_tease:

5. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Turds TOP: 19:48

:icon_rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Buttmunch

Ratings:
    +108
    The way I see it, we've got the talent to truly "win" a game without having to hide behind Martyball. If you shelter your young QB, you'll pay for it later. Please....no more, "well, but they won." We're way beyond that, and much like the players on the team, we all know that anything short of going deep in the playoffs is NOT good enough.

It's time for people to live by their raised expectations for this team.

7. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    MARTY COACHED LIKE A *****!!!!
    But i was soooooo close tocalling the score u dont even know!!!!!!!!!!!

I said 28-3!!!!!!!!!!! I dont believe it!!1

8. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    This season won't matter at all when we get to the playoffs and he coaches like he did tonight.

We will get bounced 1st round once again.

5-12 doesn't lie.

9. Flea Soda

Flea Soda BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    I think it was just clock burning and conditioning the OL.

10. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    If he hadent we probably would have won 40+ to nothing.

but mabye thats a little greedy

I think his idea was Oak need to beat our D first, and we had Scifers punting the ball anyway which was like AMAZING!!

11. compubolt

compubolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +186
    Why blow your wad early, we are in it for the long run, lets run all over the other team when we can, keep phillip doing as little as he needs, by half way through the season the play book will be much larger

12. Flea Soda

Flea Soda BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    Or if Rivers misthrows a comeback route and they take it to the house and bring the crowd and team back into it..

13. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    I wanted Philip to feel like Marty had the utmost confidence in him. The playcalling proved he didnt!!

Rivers is a passer not a pushover.

14. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Thats just playing scared if u think that.

15. Flea Soda

Flea Soda BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    I don't think that completely.. I'm just saying it's one thing to consider. I thought the running was BS.. why do something if it's not working.. Why show other teams all of our running plays in the first game.

16. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    I'd rather pass because we feel like doing it, not because we have to, or because fans are crying about losing fantasy points on our receivers and QB.

If our running game is working, keep ramming it down their throats.

Running it chews up the clock, keeps the opposing offense on the sideline where they grow cobwebs, and tires out the defensive line, while keeping your own defense fresh.

17. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    Man I didn't even read this thread but I'm sure it was hilarious.

Week 1 Fire Marty thread = hilarious
    Week 5 Fire Marty thread = cute
    Week 9 Fire Marty thread = acceptable
    Week 13 Fire Marty thread = annoying
    Week 17 Fire Marty thread = completely ghey

18. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Solid analysis as usual Mtl.

The Bolts struggled with moving the ball for a quarter, so Marty should be fired. If Marty should be fired, I guess Art Shell and his staff should be drawn and quartered.

19. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I've never been a Marty apologist, and I like more "open" offense, but Marty played the percentages. He felt his defense was giving Oakland more than it could handle, and he could get the field position game turned around by sacks on Oakland and great punting.

It worked. We started our first 3-4 drives inside our own 20. Finally, the Bolts started one around the 40, and Marty opened up and let Rivers throw.

In hindsight, it truly was the best decision.

20. Nomadic Bolt Fan

Nomadic Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    I agree. It wasn't the most exciting game after the half, but why change what works? Martyball worked, we won.....who cares if PR throws for a buttload of yards. :bolt:

21. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Man you guys are fickle.

There was one way, and one way only that the Raiders were ever going to get back into this game, and that was if we turned the ball over deep in our own territory.

Cam will open it up as the season progresses, but I had no issues whatsoever with the play-calling. When we beat the Raiders 27-0 on the road on national TV Marty gets nothing but props from me. If Rivers had dropped back to pass, got sacked, fumbled, then I would've had a problem.

22. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    BTW:

Last year, after the Cowboys loss, I felt the team was unprepared.

This year, to open the season, it feels totally different, for many reasons.

How many penalties did SD have? Two? Polk's running into the punter and Olivea's false start. I don't remember any more.

No sacks allowed. No turnovers.

Nice.

23. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    LT had 38 touches in the first two games last year, and we lost both.

LT had 34 touches tonight.

While I think 25 touches is the ideal number for LT, it goes to show that sometimes getting away from the running game is the worst thing you can do.

And I still have nightmares about Brees throwing that interception / TD to Champ Bailey last year. We had the Broncos on the ropes like we did the Raiders tonight, but that INT got them and their crowd right back in the game.

24. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Polk's running into the kicker was a Joke. Lechler fell down but Polk didn't really touch him.

25. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    While ticky tack in appearance, a rusher has to give the punter space to land after the punt. IMO, it was legit.

Maybe that was on Marty's mind. Had SD continued the strategy in Denver that we saw employed tonight vs. the Raiders, our 2005 season might have been different.

Or was Marty's mind on the play action vs Denver in the season finale (inside our own 10 yd line) when Brees got hurt?

I think we'll see Marty and Cam open it up more. As soon as SD had good field position, we saw Rivers go downfield.

26. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Yeah, but lechler had room to land. He landed fine. He just fell down because he saw Polk near his feet.

27. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Kaeding gets an award as well for dramatic acting. Still, I think both were legit, but not "real" hits.

I hope Sci-Fi learns from that tape. One of these days we might need that five free yards.

28. Buttmunch

Ratings:
    +108
    It's not about the yards, but rather the reps in a real game. Please don't say he gets enough at practice. All I'm saying is that last year some of you were all pissed off, because you thought we were running LT into the ground. You guys say that we should keep doing what works, but how many three and outs were as a result of continually running into a wall that wasn't giving in in the second half. He got decent yards here and there, but the punishment he took in game one is downright risky....especially for a guy that got no reps in the preseason.

That's all I'm saying. :icon_shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  29. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    At least Kaeding got some legitimate contact. The guy actually hit him in the chest. Sure, Kaeding made the most out of it. But he did get touched.

30. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Our defense was dominating last night. The only way the Turds were getting back into that game was if the offense turned it over. So the offense made sure they didn't turn it over.

I think alot of the conservative playcalling was dicated by the Bolts' poor field position. As soon as that turned around, we opened it up.

In the first two games of last season, everyone was screaming for Marty's head because LT wasn't getting enough touches. LT got his touches tonight and had a great game. Now you want to criticize Marty for using him too much?

Sheesh. Wake up and smell what you are shoveling. We won 27-0. We aren't going to be running it 40+ times every game. But last night that gameplan works, regardless of how that style does not conform with your sense of what we should have done.