1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Fire Norv

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by JohnnyX, Oct 16, 2012.

1. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Hall of Fame

Ratings:
    +242
    Spanos made a horrible choice by keeping him and AJ. AJ at least redeemed himself with the draft, Norv on the other hand proves game in and game out that he is the scruge of the NFL.

Seriously promote John to HC and hire a new own next season. The game was inexcusable and heads MUST roll.

2. gonzokrb

gonzokrb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +46
    The more accurate description is "Games". Yes I totally agree, Head Coach must go!

3. ChargerJeff

ChargerJeff Boltaholic

Ratings:
    +342
    <----------------- see avitar

• Like Like x 2
  4. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +262
    I doubt we are going to see Norv fired until the end of the season. And he will be staying if we somehow win the division or make the playoffs.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
    and one has to wonder if the Spanos family wants to win a Lombardi or are they interested is saving money

Now then the $64.00 question, would Norv survive all of this if he worked for Jerry Jones?

6. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +262
    Football is a business and that is very apparent with the way the Spanos family runs the organization.

Norv would of been gone by now under a number of other owners... :poop:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings:
    +276
    Lets analyze for a minute:
    A good coach puts this team at 5-1 heading into the bye. They do this by not allowing their team to let up, and being able to put teams away when the team has a commanding lead.

A bad coach seems to always find ways to lose games, a bad coach can take a good team and find ways to beat themselves with ill-discipline and poor mental focus. A bad coach lets his team get outscored 45-0 in the second halves of 2 games in a row, throwing away 2 double digits leads and losing games that should've been easily won.

Norv is too mentally weak and not nearly fiery enough to be a head coach. He does not inspire or discipline his players, and for a supposed "offensive genius" his teams do not execute well at all.

I know people will say Philip threw those INTs and gave away those fumbles, some others may even blame AJ for not surrounding Rivers with a stronger O-line.

The bottom line though is this: Norv is the one calling those plays, and while Rivers poorly executed them, Norv really set him up to fail in a way. Up 24 points, there is no need to make high risk throws when it's clear your team doesn't have the o-line to protect you. Run the ball, take some time off the clock, play shorter passes so you can get the ball out before pressure arrives. Mathews can take a screen, Royal is a slot option, and the short route to Gates works, but yet we don't see this.

We had 6 possessions in the second half. Even in worst case scenario every single one of them had ended up in a punt, at least you didn't have up 2 TDs to their defense. It's inexcusable to be so careless with the ball, it's poor play calling, equally bad execution, and has cost us back-to-back wins in a division that we could've took a huge step toward winning.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings:
    +276
    Of course not, but another question should probably be would he have ever got the job from Jerry jones in the first place...

9. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
    It is in todays world. And we as fans suffer because of what someone thinks is the right way to build something. To bad he is in construction to. I was at the game where he was introduced to fans right after he bought the team, he was booed then also.

10. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
    good question, I guess we will never know.

11. eoconnor101

eoconnor101 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +35
    I have to agree 100% with Moses, even 6 punts may have one the game...You can't put the ball in Rivers hands with those leads...happened last week, last year at NY Jets, last night. He isn't mobile and makes bad decisions when ahead. Why isn't Matthews getting the ball more with the lead. I stood up and screamed at my TV on our first drive of the 2nd half on 2nd and 8 from Broncos 33 when Norv called for a dangerous pass over the middle....the next play was the nail in our own coffin, we just didn't know it yet. Ryan Matthews twice, maybe you get 1 yard, maybe 5, maybe he goes to the house, but likely you take 1:30 off the clock and get 3 points and give Manning 80 yards to go down 20. Absolutely arrogant play calling. I did predict this loss though and still have us 10-6, there are a lot of teams out there with sub par QBs on our schedule who won't be able to take advantage of our collapse.

Norv will not be fired and if we do win division he won't be then either, but he won't get us a super bowl. Chargers have a lot of talent so winning easier games will happen and Pittsburgh and the Jets look pretty averge so far this year so even a road win on one of those is possible.

12. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +484
    I have never been behind the fire Norv chants. I have never felt that Spanos/AJ would hire anybody that would be better than what we have in Norv. I fear another Mike Riley. I fear another June Jones. I fear another Kevin Gilbride. I think Norv is light years ahead of those guys. But!, But I sat in my seat in F39 Row 14 almost within spitting distance of our players and coaches yesterday an contemplated life, liberty, and being a Charger fan. I hated that I knew as soon as Manning waltzed the Broncos down for the first score after half like we werent even on the field that we were going to lose. I knew it. Made me want to throw up. So I now throw my hat in with the group. Fire that horrible douch bag of a coach named Norv Tuner that has castrated my team. Remove him. I'll live with Bisaccia for the rest of the year and whatever comes next. I'm tired of knowing were going to lose when were winning. I can handle being a bad team. Just cant handle this. Talent and no heart. And while your at it, bench Rivers for Clipboard Jesus for 1 game and let Rivers know his spot isnt cemented, that he to can be removed for poor performance.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Just take a gander at this and tell me this doesn't piss you off even more with every thing he is saying

Coach Turner opens up his press conference by emphatically saying his team will eliminate the turnovers that cost them last night.

Turner says he will fix the issues that have kept his team from winning the last two games. That's his message to the fans

"For most of the last two games, we've played at an awfully high level"

Turner says what gives him confidence is his coaching staff. Says they are as hard working a group he's ever been around.

Coach is showing a lot of passion in talking about how he will fix this team's issue.

Turner says he will call more plays that may not net the big gain, but will be a lot safer. That's one way he plans to limit turnovers.

Turner says his team has done a good job this season already fixing mistakes from earlier thus season. It's what gives him confidence.

14. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings:
    +276
    Picking up on Bolts4lyfe Norv quotes (btw thanks for those)

"For most of the last two games, we've played at an awfully high level"
    I think Norv means to say "For the second half of the last two games, we've played at an awful level"

and then this gem:
    "Turner says he will call more plays that may not net the big gain, but will be a lot safer. That's one way he plans to limit turnovers..."

If being up 24 points with a 4-2 record and 3-0 division record in sight isn't the time to play safe, then when is? Don't come out and say you should've wore a rubber after you've already got her pregnant!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. gonzokrb

gonzokrb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +46
    I just fired off another letter to Deano. It doesn't do much good but it helps relieve the stress!

Dean Spanos October 16, 2012
    Chairman of the Board and President
    San Diego Chargers

Sir;

When it was announced that both Head Coach Norv Turner and GM AJ Smith would return for the 2012 season I wrote to you expressing my extreme displeasure. I am content that I have kept my promise to not buy any Charger gear in protest. I am now encouraging my fellow Bolt brethren to boycott attending anymore home games. It seems to the fans that the only way to get your attention is to hit you in the pocketbook. Please consider selling the team so a more committed ownership will assist my beloved bolts to regain the respect of the fan base and the rest of the National Football League.

• Like Like x 5
  16. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,924
    So, how many interceptions or fumbles does Philip Rivers have to perform in crunch time trying to win or tie the game in the 4th quarter before we stop blindly putting all the blame on Norv just because that's the easy and popular thing to do?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  17. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,641
    8 INTS and 6 fumbles

How many 7 step drop, deep pass plays must we suffer through while Philip runs for his life behind this trash line before we crucify the play caller?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +520
    I believe that there are already 163 threads with the same title.
    Nothing new here. Move along...

• Like Like x 1
  19. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +57
    I've been saying Norv needs to be Fired for years!

I understand the reasons why the head office kept him, I just believe that it was the wrong decision.

Norv is a great coordinator...but he stinks as a head coach! Just look athis coaching career. The only decent job he has ever done was with the Chargers and that is only because he inherited a great team! A great team that he is slowly driving into the ground.

He isn't even showing progress in the areas he is supposed to be strong in...Play-calling and coaching QB's!! Whats that about? Sure...Rivers needs to take some responsibility, but I thing Norv hasn't given the support he needs by calling the right plays for him. Why did he have Rivers throwing the ball so much when we were up by 24p?????

In my opinion he lacks the motivational skills to get the best out a team and he should be sacked in favour of an experienced, tough head coach if this team is ever going to compete for a title in the near future.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +451
    I commend this thread title to the house.

21. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Norv is going to dial back the offense now. Instead of Rivers INT's we will have to deal with Mathews fumbles. :p

Back to the run up the middle play I guess?

22. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
    you mean our secret play that we open every game with? I hope other teams dont read this, otherwise they will know what to expect and they will tell the defense to start with their run defense.

• Funny Funny x 1
  23. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +484
    Say it aint so! You mean they may figure out about our rb draw up the middle near the goal line? How will we ever score? You remember that one time when it actually worked, like 7 or 8 years ago with Sproles? That once?

• Funny Funny x 1
  24. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
    Yuppers that one

25. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +520
    Norv is crazy like a fox (news).
    He'll likely dial up more deep passes and
    keep Mathews out for the majority of the
    game because the other guys are better at
    pass protection.

He's using the rope-a-dope on the AFC West.
    I'm on to you Norv.

26. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    3-3, still 1st in our division.

You people are a bunch of wimpy little cupcakes. Good thing the majority of you live in the mild climes of San Diego - you wouldn't last under any sort of extremes.

I'll continue to back the team. **** the majority of the fan base.

27. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,251
    Oh I will too, but the two straight 2nd half implosions have taken a lot of the wind out of my sails. I no longer feel this season will end up being anything to remember (but hold out hope that I will be proven wrong).

• Like Like x 1
  28. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,539
    Not 1st...... the head-to-head tie breaker is in Denver's favor.

29. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +308
    I live in the god damn Canadian prairies nahmsayin!?

30. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,924
    The season has Concudan down. We're doomed.

• Useful Useful x 1