1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

First 10 cuts...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by MadMike, Aug 25, 2013.

1. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475
    Running Back Edwin Baker
    Center Colin Baxter
    Cornerback Greg Brown
    Safety Tony Burnett
    Wide Receiver Deon Butler
    Guard Brandyn Dombrowski
    Quarterback Nathan Enderle
    Punter Richard Kent
    Defensive Lineman Jamarkus McFarland
    Tight End Dallas Walker

Feel bad for Rock but Fozzy took his job.

2. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50
    Really upset about Edwin Baker, makes little sense that he gets cut before Micheal Hill, who has looked has running the ball and has had a couple big drops. Makes even less sense Baker didn't get to stay on tell the 4th preseason game. Baker has showed he's really quick, quicker that Fozzy. Baker has a lot less reps, but he's had a higher YPC.

I think this is clear favoritism by Wiz to his guy Fozzy. But he the cut before Hill makes little sense...

3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,223
    Just a guess but there are 2 possibilities.
    • They are cutting him now, expecting to sign him to the practice squad. Thinking that to cut him now is safer as fewer teams will be willing to pick him up as they have cuts of their own to make.
    • They think that Baker has a lower ability ceiling than the others.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +503
    Baker sucks. Get over it.
    Hill won't stick either, so nothing to look at there.
    Favoritism? Not bloody likely.
    Carry on...

5. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I love the smell of football in the morning.

Ratings:
    +1,165
    I still say that if you don't make the catches or the runs during a game in preseason, it's going against you when the judgements are made to cut personnel... It's just business.

6. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,165
    So, how many more do the Chargers need to cut from the squad? Another 20 or 30 or so?

7. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50
    How
    How so? He's looked great when given the chance. Baker is clearly the quickest RB on the roster, definitely quicker than Fozzy. He didn't get enough reps in the actual games. He was making big runs multiple times in practice. I went to 4 camps. He wasn't given a fair shot.

8. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,223
    They are at 80 now. So that would be 27 more to get to 53.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +251
    5 more have to be released by Tuesday to get to the 75 man limit.

10. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    Gotta cut 5 more by Tuesday.

11. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,165
    If Baker was really that quick, he better be the first one in line at the unemployment office tomorrow...

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,485
    Baxter is the biggest name....... in other words, no one of importance was let go. ;)

13. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,643
    Maybe Dombo was a little important :-p

14. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,165
    ^^^ At least he was a good back-up to the other back-ups...

15. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,485
    [​IMG]

16. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,089
    Glad to see you found the abacus Conc ......... count on you glorious basturd !!! :tup:

17. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475
    Baker was solid, but if the coaching staff likes Fozzy better then so be it. Very little difference between the 2 of them. Fozzy proved he can run hard and hold onto the ball, that's all im asking from a 3rd string RB, but was hoping that maybe Baker and Fozzy would make it and Brown would be cut, but I guess they want a vet back there for now.

18. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    I'm not gonna be happy if Brown makes this team, dude has no value in the run game.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  19. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    As much as I hate to see a guy like Baker go, to me he was no more than a Curtis Brinkley IMO, Clearly Fozzy (the butt of every joke when he was signed, myself included) is the better of the 2. As well as the preferred back, where as we saw what he can do against other teams 1st team defense.

Even if he does go on to do great things in the NFL or just fills in for a solid back up, it was never going to be with us (too many players to bury him in depth). Obviously the coaches and organization know more about the reasons why he and not Hill was the first to be cut, but I like to think it's because they want to give him a chance to latch on somewhere else (I hear Arizona is nice this time of year)

20. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +448
    Hmmm. I'm gona go with Conc's theory that cutting Baker now might make is easier to get him onto the PS. Longterm he is a much better option than Hill and maybe even Ronnie Brown who doesn't seem to have the legs no more. I was surprised by Dombo too, I reckoned he could become a decent backup Guard. I've seen nothing from the likes of Schilling to tell me he is the better player. I see they've been using Ohrnberger lots at center so that made Baxter expendable. I guess Molk might just be number 1 in terms of a backup for Hardwick but Ohrnberger must be pushing him some, and both guys have seen a bit of action at Guard too. It will be interesting to see does Troutman stick. Seems lots of AJ's boys are getting the heave ho. The others never really got a look in but yer man Kent might just get a job somewhere. He would have learned a whole lot in this camp watching Scifres.

Also, noticed that Boonah (Brinkley) got cut by the Bears, you gotta feel for that guy.

21. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,223
    You know nothing Jack Frost.

• Funny Funny x 1
  22. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,764
    Late at night when you're sleeping, Conc the turk will come a creeping all around.

• Like Like x 1
  23. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    The logical problem with point #1 is that all teams know he's out there. And if they like the guy, they'll pick him up now, or after the cuts to 53. So there's more opportunity for teams to check him out than the 24hrs there would be if he was waived after the cut to 53.

I'd say #2 is by far the most likely.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,223
    I agree. Though he looked good with the opportunities he had.

25. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    True though so did Brinkley. I'm thinking the coaches figured they didn't have 'it', whatever they construe that to be. Like you said: low ceiling.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +251
    In both cases, they look like good players, but not good enough to move past the other backs on the depth chart and we can keep four at most plus one on the PS. Telesco will working the waiver wire with a shopping cart this weekend. I'm really curious to see who will be available after the final cuts.

27. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,485
    Cut his ***...... ;)

Max Starks fighting for roster spot
    By Michael Gehlken 7:43 P.M. AUG. 26, 2013

Max Starks knew when he joined the Chargers in May that he'd be competing.

He didn't expect it would be for this.

The Chargers tackle has spent most of the past three months vying for the starting spot on the left side. Now that it's apparent King Dunlap is the choice there, although not officially declared by coach Mike McCoy, Starks' roster spot appears firmly in jeopardy as he finds himself in a new competition.

Starks, 31, and Michael Harris, 24, are competing to be the Chargers' swing tackle. The reserve role supports either the left or right tackle as needed during a game.

The recent division of reps suggests Harris is the favorite.

When Dunlap briefly exited Saturday's exhibition with an ankle injury, it was Harris who replaced him. When Dunlap missed Monday's practice with ankle soreness, it was Harris again who brought support.

A nine-game starter in 2012 as an undrafted rookie, Harris has practiced mostly on the right side this offseason. That experience and his current first-team work seem to be preparing him to handle the versatile swing role in the regular season.

"We've got one more game," Harris said, referring to Thursday's exhibition finale against the 49ers. "Just got to go out there and prove to the coaches that they can count on me and I can be a guy who can come in and play. ... I've got Phil (Rivers) and all the quarterbacks counting on me. If something happens to one of our tackles, I need to be able to go in and not skip a beat."

The situation has deteriorated rapidly around Starks.

Dunlap opened the first two weeks of training camp as the first-team left tackle, performing well and establishing himself over Starks as the favorite for the job. The outlook was reinforced during the first game when Dunlap was sharp in a 12-play scoring drive. Starks followed with a second team that was out of sync.

On Aug. 10, the two veterans started rotating at first-team left tackle in practice. They then rotated series against the Bears, as Starks started and played 21 snaps. After that game, the rotation with Dunlap quickly ended.

During the weeks Dunlap saw favorable practice reps, Starks emphasized the importance of games. On Monday, he said he would've liked "more of an opportunity" to get in games with the ones, "but that's not the way it went."

The Chargers must cut their roster from 75 to 53 players before Saturday at 3 p.m.

"Is it tough?" Starks said. "No. It's football. I leave it to them upstairs. I don't know how they feel or think, so I guess we'll see after this game."

• Like Like x 1
  28. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,089

Just as I figured ......

You had your Missus do the Math, didn't you. :whistling:

29. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,089
    Low ceiling ? ..............you saying the guy is tall enough to live fulltime in a Dollhouse.

30. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +448
    Great article on Starks by Gehlky. I want Harris to stick as a swing tackle regardless. But I guess we can't keep Dunlap, Fluker, Clary (another option at tackle of course), Harris and Starks?, or could we.......