1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

First 2010 Mock

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by matilack, Dec 13, 2009.

1. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,604
    http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/insider/news/story?id=4730972

29th San Diego Chargers Record: 10-3

Jonathan Dwyer*, RB, Georgia Tech
    Darren Sproles is an excellent change-of-pace back but he's too small to be the primary ball carrier, and 30-year-old LaDainian Tomlinson hasn't looked the same the past two years. Taking Dwyer here would give the Chargers a physical between-the-tackles runner capable of carrying the ball 20-plus times and setting up the play-action package.

2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,890
    Screw that, I want to pick 32nd. :abq2:

3. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,604
    Agreed:tup:, but McShay based this mock on the standings as they currently are, not how they will end up.

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,601
    Instead of Terrance Cody or Dan Williams? No thanks

5. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,604
    Ant we have no RB's locked up for the 2010 season. Sproles is on a 1yr deal right now and we know he can't carry the load, Bennett is 33yrs old and is on a 1yr deal, and of course the future of LT is in question wether he retires or flat out gets cut......either way we know he isn't going to be productive long term.

If Jamal and Bingham come back (which looks likely) RB is hands down the more immediate need, though I agree D-line needs to be a main focus of this draft and free agency.

6. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,604
    From Todd McShay's draft blog...

• On the first play we watched during the Vols-Gators game, Tennessee DT Dan Williams showed off his strong lower body as he got underneath Maurkice Pouncey's pads and drove him backward. Williams has the ability to anchor versus double-teams or use his hands to disengage. He also anticipates the snap count well and flashes the ability to collapse the pocket.
    He doesn't play in space well and doesn't have a great amount of speed.

However, it is hard to find players like this who can anchor versus double-teams and play as a nose guard in a 3-4 scheme or over the center in a 4-3 scheme. Right now, we have him ranked as a mid-to-late third-rounder, but don't be surprised if he makes a strong push from now until the draft and is taken in the second round.

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,601
    Jamal, even when he comes back, won't last much longer. Bingham has more experience at DE then at NT and isn't big enough. I'd rather take a first rate nose tackle like a cody over a running back when there are so many options (usually very good ones) available later in the draft. Especially considering thst even with our patchwork success at nose tackle, that is a far harder position and more crucial to the success of the defense then a running back

8. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,604
    So assuming we can re-sign Sproles, and LT is probably gone:unsure:...you'd be ok with going into next season with a 5'6 scat back and a rookie project type RB? With Norv's committment to balanced playcalling I think a stud 20+ carry RB is a must. Right now we put up points, but we can't control the clock, and its a constant struggle to convert on short yardage.

We can agree to disagree on the immediate importance of either position. To me, I think it could be Vaughn Martin that impacts AJ's decision. Maybe he'll pull another Eric Weddle like move, and jump up in the 2nd round to get his guy.

9. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,601
    I have no idea if LT is going to be back or not, if anything I'd say its 50/50. Sproles is less likely to return because we aren't paying that much money to a scatback. We'd have Hester and Tolbert on the team. There are more options also in FA for running backs, someone we could get to add to Hester/Tolbert/LT.

And you kind of defeat your own argument in a sense; we did control the clock this past week and did put up points. But what we have been completely unable to do is stop the run (except when its at the goalline). I'd say stopping the run is a bit more important then using a first rounder on a running back

But that's my philosophy

10. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,604
    Ant we are 32nd in YPC, and I think 31st in rushing yards. Just because we were able to hold a late drive this week against the Cowboys doesn't mean our run game is revamped or that we can overcome not having a rushing game in the playoffs. What happens if Rivers has a bad day? What happens if its raining and windy and we're forced to run? You can't put all our eggs in the Philip Rivers basket, I don't care how good he is.

From AJ's perspective we have 1 goal in the offseason, get to Super Bowl XV. So he has to look at whats going to make us better immediately, and if we draft a Terrance Cody or Dan Williams they are just going to play backup to Jamal, Bingham, Martin and get taken out on passing downs, and probably won't start until 2011. Where as if we draft a RB like Dwyer or Mathews its almost a forgone conclusion that they will have an immediate impact on the 2010 season due to the fact that we have nobody else. (Don't kid yourself, AJ isn't brining back LT for that price tag)

Thats really my thinking in a nutshell. But I won't exactly be heartbroken if we do take Cody or Williams.

11. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    SD chargers, 32nd pick in the 5th round

Legarrete BLOUNT!!

12. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,601
    Fair enough, my question though is do you specifically like Dwyer or is there someone else who would fit your needs at RB? I was kinda thinking Cody with the first and Gerhart or Best in the second

13. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,604
    I would like Dwyer in the 1st, and then I'd like to see a "Weddle" like trade in the 2nd round to grab Cody or Williams. Thats my pipe dream draft scenario.:yes: I agree with you that NT is a MASSIVE issue, I just think RB will become priority #1 in the offseason.

I'm not a huge fan of Gerhart because he reminds me too much of Mike Alstott or Brian Leonard from Cincy, I think he's a fullback pretending to be a halfback. And Best has bust written on his forehead, a small injury prone back who can't break tackles is not high on my list.

2nd day sleeper, as nomorenorv and Leo agree, is LeGarrette Blount. 6'1 240, probably runs in the 4.5 range and is absolutely relentless breaking tackles. He would have been a heisman candidate and a lock 1st round pick if not for the incident in September.

14. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,601
    Blount I admit I am very curious about but i'd want him psychoanalyzed everyway from sunday to make sure the kid actually has a functioning brain and temper controls as opposed to a windtunnel. If he has something there i'd be willing to go as high as a fourth rounder on him, maybe even a third. I could see an initial draft of Cody-Arthur Jones-Blount as a good solving of our problems.

At the very least about Gerhart, nothing wrong with a hard charging inside runner with ok speed. If anything that's the perfect compliment back to the high powered air attack we have (think Muncie to Air Coryell and Lincoln to Gillman's era).

15. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,604
    Cromartie and Merriman just barely have "functioning brains.":lol: Don't set your expectations too high.

Side note: I've been watching some CJ Spiller highlights lately, and the guy is actually a little 'thicker' than I thought he was. He reminds me of Chris Johnson, fast but still rugged and tough. We don't have a chance in hell at landing him, but again I couldn't complain if we did.

16. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,604
  17. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    i dont understand this, why isnt ingram entering? He won the heisman. He is a beast. He could easily go first round. WHy go back to Bama? ALl he can do is plummet. Look at what happened to bradford and Legarrete blount. If he gets injured or goes bursurk or who knows what else he can kiss millions of dollars goodbye. I know he is a sophmore but teams would love that. Im sure the Chargers would love to have LT have been a few yrs younger bc now he wouldn't be so old>>>>

18. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,604
    He's a true sophomore, he's not eligable until 2011.

Locker is the one who shocks me, if the NFL re-ups the CBA with a ROOKIE CAP....his 60+mil for being the 1st overall pick could drop to 15 mil.

19. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    Thats what I said. Plus he is #1 now!! He will be a sure starter. He could pull a bradford this year and get heart. Then he is screwed!! I don't know how going to a bowl game could be more worth it than an almost guaranteed 60 million dollars!!!

20. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,604
    I think its more than a bowl game, he doesn't want to end up like JaMarcus Russell. At the moment he's.....the next Jay Cutler, physically amazing, cannon arm, great mobility.....but TERRIBLE mechanics and sometimes forces it to his #1 reciver.

(I live in Oregon, so I get a lot of Huskey games)

21. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +52
    I don't think we would need to panic...Javid Best should be available in the 2nd round and he would be the perfect foil with Sproles

22. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,604
    Sproles and Best are the same player in a different package.

No point to have one if you have the other, if we still have Sproles I'd like to see us go with Ryan Mathews in RD 2.