1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

First 5 Games Brees 2004 v Rivers 2006

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by MasterOfPuppets, Oct 18, 2006.

1. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    yeah I know, I know, another Brees v Rivers thread but I was interested in knowing who has the better stats after the first 5 games of Brees' best season (not his first as a starter) and Rivers first as a starter, interestingly, the stats are pretty similar

Brees 2004

Hou 17/24 209 yds 2 TD / 0 Int QBR 125.2
    NYJ 8/19 146 yds 1 TD / 2 Int QBR 47.1
    Den 14/29 121 yds 0 TD / 0 Int QBR 59.7
    Ten 16/20 206 yds 3 TD / 0 Int QBR 149.2
    Jac 17/26 211 yds 2 TD / 0 Int QBR 116.0
    Tot 72/118 893 yds 8 TD / 2 Int QBR 100.0

Rivers 2006

Oak 8/11 108 yds 1 TD / 0 Int QBR 133.9
    Ten 25/35 235 yds 1 TD / 0 Int QBR 99.1
    Bal 13/22 145 yds 1 TD / 1 Int QBR 75.0
    Pit 24/37 242 yds 2 TD / 1 Int QBR 90.1
    SF 29/39 334 yds 2 TD / 0 Int QBR 116.8
    Tot 99/144 1064 yds 7 TD / 2 Int QBR 100.6

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    it might be better to analogize Brees 02 and Rivers 06

3. Kitsune-udon

Kitsune-udon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    Brees 04 and Rivers 06 have more similar teams, although this years roster has more talent, IMHO.

4. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    Although that might be more fair (fairer?) I wanted to evaluate Brees' best year against Rivers to see if there is a drop off this year, I have no doubt that Rivers will be better in the long run, but what had some concerned was Rivers' learning curve this year (one step back to take two steps forward) I don't see the step back

5. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    Not wanting to hi-jack, but not wanting to start another Brees/Rivers thread.

I do like Brees and wish him the best, but the morning guys on double xx almost make me despise that he ever was a Charger, because I don't even feel like I can stand listening to SD sports radio.

I saw on the website the Merill Hodge interview so I clicked on it, and they asked him about Brees vs. Rivers. Hodge said Rivers, and while they didn't disagree, they kept bringing up the lack of experience, and almost reluctantly agreeing, but you could hear the hesitation in their voice.

That would be fine, you don't have to like the new QB over your old one if you are a sports radio guy, but then they started just talking about how dumb Miami was for not taking Brees and how they just used the medical thing to get Brees price down, and pretty much just begging for Hodge to say good things about Brees. I didn't time it, but I think they kept the topic on Brees more than on the Chargers.

Then I noticed on the download page that they interviewed Brees before interviewing Rivers this last week. WTF?

Sorry rant over, I am glad Brees has recovered and is doing well, I just hope that those guys get their act together so they can help the city of San Diego appreciate what is going on with its football team.

6. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    Brees 2002

83/138 843 yds 5 TD / 4 Int QBR 77.7

7. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    I heard that too, normally I don't listen to them but I did hear the Brees interview and thought "why are they interviewing the saints QB?" they're supposed to be the "local" sports radio station, I rather hear John Lynch Jr, at this point than another Brees interview

8. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I THINK WE SHOULD HAVE TAGGED OR TRADED BREES, at least get something for him! It still bugs be we just let him walk when we know what AJ can do with a draft pick.

9. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    Im still wondering why DB is getting more attention now than when he was with the chargers. Im tired of hearing about DB everytime I watch a sports channel. He isnt as good now than when he was with the chargers. Sick of it!!!!

10. bigcarson50

Ratings:
    +54
    I know that I am just going to beat a dead horse, but that just wasn't possible. Only three teams even offered him a contract.

There is no OR in that statement. In order to trade Brees (unless you mean pre-2005), we would have had to tag him, and since NO is pretty much paying him tag money right now, I don't think they would pony up draft picks and/or players too.

On top of that, just to try to trade him, you are risking 10+ million of your salary cap, cause no team will trade for a tagged guy unless there is an agreement for a new one in place, giving the player psuedo trade veto powers.

11. bigcarson50

Ratings:
    +54
    In love with the glove!! (nice avatar)

12. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    what he said :tup:

13. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    I agree with this completely. Letting him walk for nothing still seems to defy all logic. The satisfaction that Rivers was indeed the real deal still falls short as adequate compensation for letting go a Pro Bowl quarterback. Even for QB with a bad wing we could have picked up some Oline help in a clever trade.

14. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    The NFL will award the Chargers a compensatory Third Round draft pick for losing Brees in 2007 ...... so we get something !!!

15. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Why? :icon_shrug:

16. shocku

shocku BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    wow, I know I'm new here but is this forum mainly Rivers fans??

Reason I ask is cause that interview and what hodge said was right on the money.Miami did make a mistake.

Everyone knew that Brees injury was AJ's excuse to finally end teh QB controversy.If Brees didn't get hurt it was Rivers who would of been traded.Nothing against Rivers at all cause he's turning out awsome and I think both QB's are class act guy's.

But my point is I never understood the hostility towards Brees by some fans???:icon_shrug: C'mon, I mean anyone who knows anything about this sport knows it ALL starts with the O-line.

As soon as we got rid of the entire O-line when Brees was first drafted and upgraded every position "except RB" Brees showed the franchise exactley what the problem was, and it wasn't at QB.

Bottom line is AJ jumped the gun when drafting Rivers and the proof is in the 2004-2005 season with Brees at the Helm.I just hope AJ thanked God for Rivers saving his butt cause if Rivers turned out to be a Leaf while letting Brees go, he would of been fired on the spot.

anyway, saying that I too wish Brees continued success over there and I hope Rivers continues to rip it up over here too!:icon_mrgreen:

17. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    We should have signed him to a long term deal, with some guarenteed money. He would have taken much less guarenteed for a mutliyear deal than the cost to tag him, then once under contract, we could have taken our time and traded him anytime up to the trade deadline along with his multiyear contract. He wouldn't have stayed on the market long. There would be a taker relatively quickly. Might have got a late 1st or a high 2nd round pick for him, maybe more.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Kitsune-udon

Kitsune-udon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    IMHO, Brees is still one of the better QBs in the NFL. I still can't figure out how we got two great QBs in such a short span of time. It almost makes me sick thinking about all the lame duck QBs we went through. We let a good one go and ended up having another good one continue like nothing changed. The football god (AJ) must be smiling upon us.

On another note, be sure to vote for any NFC QB except ShEli. I'm hoping Brees performance this year will be enough to knock ShEli off the Pro Bowl ballot.

• Like Like x 1
  19. boltzpride21

boltzpride21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    I LOVE BREES DONT GET ME WRONG. Looking at their numbers is just to similar u know!i think rivers has the height advantage and just his quick release that will seperate the 2 when its all said and done!rivers is just to strong and is already being compared to dan marino!

BOLTZPRIDE21:bolt:

:icon_toast:

20. D-Funk

D-Funk BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    Elisha wanted to be in NY so bad....fine....go Elisha......I hope youre enjoying Tom Coughlin and Jeremy Shockey you idiot. San Diego is the greatest city on earth and has to have one of the best clubhouses in the NFL. We are a tight team. Elisha can hang out with Mad Dog Coughlin for the rest of his career.

As for Brees v Rivers....does anyone have stats that confirm what I know to be true which is there were a LOT of batted balls during Brees days as a 6'0'' QB versus now that we have a 6'5" guy in.

Rivers is a scary, scary talent. I loved Drew but hey I never got the impression he was Super Bowl talent. Playoffs yes, but not World Championship material. We need excellence. LT, Gates, Merriman, Jamal Williams...we need game changers. Rivers will be one of the all time greats.

21. mapcap55

mapcap55 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +66
    Brees 2004

Tot 72/118 (61.01%) 893 yds 8 TD / 2 Int QBR 100.0

Rivers 2006

Tot 99/144 (68.75%) 1064 yds 7 TD / 2 Int QBR 100.6

It is just shameful that AJ let Brees go:icon_evil: ...look at the drop off...Brees had 1 whole touchdown more than Rivers at this point:icon_eek: ...Absolutely amazing...AJ is an idiot!!!:lol:

Lets face it, Rivers is off to just as good a start in his first season as a starter as Brees got off to in his best year to date...I'll take that step back anytime...:tup:

• Like Like x 1
  22. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Hey D-FUNK.....dig your avatar! Pretty cool!:tup:

• Like Like x 1
  23. bigcarson50

Ratings:
    +54
    We couldn't have done that cause the point was getting gauranteed money, which is why he signed with NO in the first place. In the NFL on that money matters. The problem then is that a QB with that kind of salary becomes untradable cap wise for at least a couple of years.

24. bigcarson50

Ratings:
    +54
    I like Brees too, and wish things could have ended differently, but the line of questioning for Hoge was ok for a national type broadcast or for I don't know maybe for a month after Miami didn't sign Brees (but then people could not so confidently said Miami was wrong, it is much easier to make statements like "Miami made a huge mistake" in hindsight), but it is a recurring theme on that show.

For a SD sports show they talk about our QB less than another QB and it just doesn't make any sense. As much as i want Brees to do well, I want to here about what Rivers does to make sure the Chargers do well.

25. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    FUC DREW BREES

HE is a lying cockksuckker.

If the mother fugger would have just tipped his hat and wished us well but nooooooo ... fuc him. :tdown:

I hope his arm is a marketing tool for the Slinky corporation when his arm pops off at the teams 50 yard line and lays wiggling like a decapitated lizards tail. :icon_evil:

New Orleans is where QB's go to EFFFING DIE !!!!!!!!!!!

26. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288
    I was waiting for one of Trumpys patented Brees responses...

:icon_rofl:

27. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I do not get these fans who give this moled faced weasel dick a free pass :tdown: :tdown: :tdown: :icon_wtf:

......fuc that and fuc Brees.

Some posters have shown up at the tailgaters to ask me if I am joking or is it an act and I will look then in the eye and go off on this topic.

I do not care who is listening and who it offends. Fuc them as well. :icon_banana:

28. PhillyChargerFan

Ratings:
    +288

Yeah, there was mistakes on Brees part,not offering me a contract, I don't know of the concerns AJ has, etc etc.

29. PhillyChargerFan

Ratings:
    +288

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Disagree, AJ DID offer Brees a contract, I also believe it was for the SAME money as NO. But our offer was "only" 2 mill. guaranteed. Rivers was not going anywhere. AJ set the team up to keep both.

If you remember in 2004 Brees really didn't start to play well till Rivers was elevated to #2 AFTER the Denver game.

First off AJ is GOD!! :lol:

I don't think AJ did jump the gun, there are passes that Rivers can make that Brees can't. If you watched any NO games this year the majority of pass plays are 10 to 15 yards. In some instances 7 yard slants. Most of Brees yards are YAC's.

AGREED!!! :icon_toast:

30. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    I think they did offer him a long term contract with less guaranteed money (2 mil I think) and he didn't take it.