1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

First female ref undeserving?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,413
    NFL making wrong call on this one
    Mike Pereira
    Updated Aug 7, 2012 4:40 PM ET

It was big news Monday that Shannon Eastin will become the first female official to work an NFL game on Thursday night in San Diego. This is a huge milestone. History will be made.

Well, there better be a big asterisk by her name, because Eastin does not deserve this honor. Something this big should go to a woman who earned the right — and that is not Eastin.

I feel very badly for Sarah Thomas, an official in Conference USA who deserves to carry the torch. She has gone through the lengthy, requisite training process required of future NFL officials and has been working NCAA Division I college football since 2007.

Eastin, as news reports have stated, has been working in the Football Championship Subdivision since 2008.

Thomas has worked five seasons of Division I football (now called Football Bowl Subdivision). Eastin has worked none.

Thomas has worked two bowl games, the 2009 Little Caesars Pizza Bowl and the 2011 Pinstripe Bowl, putting her in elite company among NCAA officials. She also worked the 2010 United Football League Championship game.

Eastin, who will take the field at Qualcomm Stadium when the San Diego Chargers play host to the Green Bay Packers, has worked no bowl games.

Thomas, because of her experience, track record and great potential, has been selected by the NFL as a finalist to become an NFL official. That means, by default, she is among the NFL officials currently locked out by the league due to the ongoing dispute over a new collective bargaining agreement between the two sides.

And sadly, that also means that Thomas, who has gone through the NFL’s interview process and all the background checks necessary to be on track to become a league official, will not get her opportunity to make history.

Instead, Eastin, who is not an NFL finalist and likely won't be, steps in front of Thomas to seize this tremendous opportunity.

It is an absolute shame that Eastin will be identified as the first female official to work an NFL game. If I were her, I would step aside and leave this huge milestone to Thomas, who truly deserves to be the trailblazer.

This is just part of this madness we call "replacement officials." They are now taking the field in the NFL preseason, as the labor impasse between the league and its trained officials continues with no end in sight.

Last Sunday’s Pro Football Hall of Fame game between the Saints and the Cardinals was refereed by a guy named Craig Ochoa. He was touted as a BCS official. Well, that is not the case.

He never officiated in the Big 10 and, as a matter of fact, was released from the Lingerie Football League midway through last season.

Can we please get this thing settled?

2. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,158
    Yes, Mike. If it were you, you would give away the once-in-a-lifetime chance.
    Of course you would. :rolleyes:
    (It's almost easy to do the noble thing, when it isn't you)

3. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    You do have to wonder about the timing though.

It wouldn't surprise me if the NFL is "promoting" a woman now, to take the focus off all the negative comments about the replacement refs. Anything for a little positive press on their side of the issue.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    What a dick.

You have issues with the NFL and their handling of the ref union? Fine, but don't **** on Eastin's parade because she's taking advantage of a great opportunity you big baby. This doesn't diminish Thomas' achievements in any way and I look forward to and will celebrate the day she steps foot on an NFL field as an official, non-replacement, referee. Even if she does have an extra unnecessary consonant in her first name.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    I can just hear her now, "THE DEFENSE ISN"T PLAYING NICELY, so that is 15 yards for the offense'...:p

• Old Old x 1
  6. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    why I outta... :mad:

7. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +367
    I see where you're coming from Syd, but I think Mr. Pereira has a very valid point. Is it "****ing on Eastin's parade" by saying she doesn't deserve the parade? Maybe, but this event definitely and unfortunately will diminish Thomas' achievements and her place in history. You have to believe Thomas will feel her destiny has been unfairly altered. You have to believe that during all the years working through the system, through all the hard work and sacrifice, Thomas was ever dreaming of the day she would step on a NFL field as the first woman official. I think sadly, in a small way, it does take away from this achievement for women.

8. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,158

What a Cheney.

(there...fixed that for ya, Syd...before one of those heavy-handed 'mods' noticed your accidental vulgarity!)

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Since it's clear that Eastin is (a) a replacement ref and (b) ref'ing pre-season games. I don't think it diminished anything Thomas has done or will do. Not at all. Sometimes life is unfair. The fact that it's taken until 2012 for a woman to even have the opportunity is unfair. The fact that we're still stuck as sideline and halftime reporters is unfair. When it's all said and done Eastin will work what, 2-4 meaningless games tops? Thomas, will likely have a whole career in the NFL. And if she's as good as I hope she is, she'll have some playoff and Super Bowl experiences under her belt too someday.

I'm not saying I don't sympathize with Thomas not getting to be the first ever ever. But ultimately, she will be the one with more "notoriety" if that's her goal. It just might be a few weeks until that part of the journey begins.

Pereia has an axe to grind with the NFL and he's insulting one woman in favor of another when really, they should both be congratulated. I'm inclined to give Thomas a little more credit that she won't be heartbroken over something so petty and completely out of her control.

Being that I am a woman I'm just excited to see these ladies have the chance and I'd like to think female football fans everywhere are too. This doesn't have to be a competition between women, we already have enough battles to fight against the boys :p

10. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Shannon, Sarah, if you've seen one you've seen em all. I'd rather hear from Sarah herself on this topic then some blowhard reporter.

11. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Deserving or not. The opportunity is her's and I for one hope she makes the most out of it. I am not shocked that a Ref-union Alumni does not like A) replacements, of B) a femal in what has been a male role.

Mike, love ya babe! But get over it.

12. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    my question and concern for the replacement refs is/are, can they handle the true speed of an NFL game? Preseason things are different. By the 3rd week the NFL will have settled with the union as MANY games will be determined by these replacement refs and the instant replay rules.

13. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I agree on this one for sure.

Sports Talk radio seems to believe that a deal between the NFL/Refs will definitely be done by the regular season start though... I'm hoping they're right.

14. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    If it is done by regular season then I think the speed thing would apply to them. Are THE REFS going to be in game shape without preseason to work out the new rules applications and to get their game legs on?

15. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Personally, I'm excited to see what a ref who failed in the Lingerie League can bring to the NFL game. :D

16. ETicket

Ratings:
    +367
    I totally agree with A, but from which statement are you getting B? Unless I missed something (it's been known to happen), suggesting that Pereira doesn't support the notion of a female NFL official is kind of.... slanderous?

17. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    You already did if you watched the HOF game...

If Engrich is not my first language... What was yours?! :p

18. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    No probably nothing missed. I assumed before reading the full article...

• Like Like x 1
  19. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Yes, I know that, silly. I'm talking about a full season, not some stupid HOF game. ;)

20. ETicket

Ratings:
    +367
    Well... you know what happens....

21. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    Interesting dilemma:
    If Thomas' dream is to become a NFL ref then it shouldn't bother her that there's a female replacement ref.
    If her dream was to see/help women get a chance in this male dominated profession, then she should be happy.
    If she wanted to be the first then it kinda makes her look bad.

22. ETicket

Ratings:
    +367
    I don't think you've framed the issue fairly.

Is it not OK to have a dream of becoming a NFL official and a dream of being the first woman to do so? I don't think that makes her "look bad".

If someone dreams of standing atop Mt Everest and of becoming the first woman to accomplish this goal (see: Junko Tabei) , your saying that person should have no problem if when three-quarters of the way up the mountain, a helicopter picked up another woman climber near the base of the mountain and dropped her on the top? She should just be happy any woman made it under any circumstance?

23. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I get called out by ETicket and have to acept my come'upins publicly? ;)

• Like Like x 1
  24. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,158
    I get what you're saying, E, and I think you make a fair amount of sense
    (and somebody's gotta bring that uppity Syd down a peg or two) ;)
    but I think that analogy only works so far: I mean there's never really
    been any question that a fit young woman could be as intellectually and
    athletically qualified to ref as males in their 50s & 60s. So, there's something of an
    unspoken suggestion that women have been systematically kept out of the "old boys" club.
    An aspect that I don't think exists in the climbing Everest example.
    But I don't think your argument is totally junko...or tabei! :)

• Like Like x 1
  25. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    The only difference, in my view, is that since all the replacement refs are "undeserving" of their sudden elevation, that helicopter would have to be a troop carrier. ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  26. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807

27. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    And there would be an asterisk (a huge one) next to the woman that got there on a helicopter, there will be an asterisk next to Eastin's name. Also, notice I said IF, I'm not putting words in here mouth.

Also, your analogy doesn't work for me because I don't think one woman would care if other women also climbed Mt. Everest (the more women to do it would lessen the accomplishment), but someone that cares about/is fighting for equality in a workplace should care more that the barrier was broken than breaking it herself.

28. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I'm sorry, but when did officiating an NFL game become the historical equivalent of being the first woman astronaut, or the first woman President? This is ridiculous. In order to have a place in history, you have to actually accomplish something. As much as we all love football, there's nothing really "historically worthy" about officiating a game.

29. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Really, then why did they make such a big deal when a black ref finally got the head job in the Super Bowl? Lets not forget that the NFL is the single most watched programming in the country.

30. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    They made a big deal of it because people like to make a big deal out of things that aren't important when it serves as an opportunity to show how politically correct they are. Equality doesn't happen when the media shines a spotlight on someone who isn't a WASP heterosexual male and screams "Look!", equality happens when people see someone who isn't a WASP heterosexual male and don't find anything surprising about it.

I'm glad that this person is getting a chance to do something in life that she enjoys, and to be paid for it. As far as whether or not she deserves to be the first woman to do something, I find it irrelevant.