1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

First Half Defense

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltssbbound, Dec 27, 2006.

1. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    In the 4 games since Merriman has returned, our defense has surrendered a total of 6 first half points. That's an average of 1.5 points per game. If this trend continues, we are going to be extremely difficult to beat in the playoffs.

Props to Wade for putting together some monster gameplans that offenses have not had an answer for.

With Castillo returning to near full strength for the playoffs, this defense is going to become even more dominant.

• Like Like x 1
  2. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Our defense is going to be the reason we win the Lombardi this year.

In spite not-so-special teams

:helm3:

• Like Like x 2
  3. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    That's all well and good but if I see us drop into zone coverage on third and 6-9 yards I'm going to go ballistic. How many first downs did Engram have over the middle where there was nobody there? That and we were only rushing four so there should have been fewer gaps in the coverage.

We REALLY need to work on this. When the Chargers are aggressive on defense we're almost unbeatable.

Fix it Wade or stop calling that defense. :icon_evil:

4. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Completely agree with this. We have been very vunerable on third and long situations it seems. We seem overly reluctant to throw in a blitz on third down.

5. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    Agree 100%. And on those same 3rd and 6-9 the DBs are playing 10 yrds off the line? :icon_wtf: Why the hell let them run free off the ball. Bang them on the line and send more than 4. With our speed on the edges, there is no way those passes should be completed.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Word.

7. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I'm hoping our defense is peaking at the right time, it appears to me that we are now starting to get a full 4 Qtr's out of them. If we can get back to 85-90% full strength, I feel it's ours to lose. (Lomdardi):bolt2: :icon_toast:

8. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    What a shock. You completely agree with a negative opinion on the team.

You might whine more than any fan of a 13-2 team ever.

9. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    You guys really crack me up. The defense has been dominant and all you can do is complain. It's nice that you want everyting to be perfect, but it's not realistic.

10. Boltdiehard

Ratings:
    +1,171
    That's bullshit. Maybe you don't like the direction that your thread went but what I said is true. That doesn't mean I'm not happy with the overall performance but on third and long our SCHEME (not the players) sucks. Had Branch not dropped 4 balls it would have been much worse. I'm also aware that our defense didn't give up a TD in six quarters between KC and Seattle. Believe me I know how well things are going. All we can do is complain? OK.

11. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Well, look at the replies in this thread. We haven't given up a first half TD in four games. We're doing something right.

Personally, I think our 3rd down defense isn't as good because we can't be as creative in our blitzes on third down. The LBs are really the strength of this defense, and when you go nickel, there's one less LB on the field.

That being said, we're still in the top ten in the league in third down conversions allowed. We're doing something right. Every time a zone defense leads to an INT or a sack, no one says ****. But each and every time it leads to a completion, Wade's a moron and our third down defensive playcalling is awful. I just don't agree with that. Could we be more aggressive on third down? Yes. But we've had alot of success with the way we've been playing.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Boltdiehard

Ratings:
    +1,171

OK maybe it just really stood out to me during this game. I love our defense and I'm a huge fan of defense but our 3rd and long scheme sucks IMO. I know we don't want to give up the big play but great defenses live for third and long and it drives me nuts when we just sit back in coverage. As far as the sacks I think that's more talent but there may be a coverage sack in there once in awhile. I don't think Wade is a moron but the easy completions for first downs drive me nuts. The fact that it was a close game didn't help my disposition either. It's a tough call because our safeties pretty much blow in coverage and Jammer is about the only guy who can play man effectively IMO.

Looking back to the KC game a couple weeks ago Wade called a great game and he mixed the blitzes up perfectly including third and long. I hope he does just that in the playoffs especially with Brady and/or Manning possibly coming to town. Those dudes HATE getting hit. :yes:

• Like Like x 2
  13. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    yep, our D is nearly back to normal

14. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Huh, imagine that, another dumb** comment from you.

Boltssbbound calling someone else a whiner. What a joke.

Weren't you the one posting the following comment:

"If we never second guess coaches and players, this site would be no more than a cheerleading site. It would just be one big circle jerk. "Yipee! Our team is great! Great job today guys!"

Now, maybe you find that informative and entertaining to read thousands of posts like that, but I for one think it's kind of boring."

Guess that only holds true for you and not others. I agree with your comment, but you aparrently don't.

15. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Where in my comment did I say that you always have to be complaining?

I agree that our third down defense is not as good as our first and second down defense. Our nickel package is not as good as our base defense, but that doesn't mean we only have to talk about our flaws and never say anything positive.

We've given up 6 first half points in the last 4 games. Can't you find something positive to take from that?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    I totally agree with the D has been great, especially in the first half and agree we can get more agressive on 3rd down.

But you did post this, no?

Originally Posted by boltssbbound
    What a shock. You completely agree with a negative opinion on the team.

You might whine more than any fan of a 13-2 team ever.

I will be the first to admit I tend to be pretty critical and overdo it from time to time. But I love my Bolts and just want them to get better.

17. ntman68

Ratings:
    +139
    Pointing out concerns <> whining

I also share some concerns about the defense (and the offense for that matter), but it doesn't mean I am whining or any less of a Charger fan. Isn't that what this board is for, openly discussing the Chargers? We can only have so many "LT is the bomb" and "We are going to the SuperBowl!!!" threads.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    I think it is. Totally agree with you. But then again I like to argue. Keeps it fun and interesting.

19. anger management

anger management Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Let me take this opportunity to point out what I consider a couple of weaknesses on our defense.

#27 Ju.

This guy can't cover, is consistently out of position, and can't tackle worth a damn. I am sick of seeing him constantly giving up big plays. He is my #1 weak link on this D.

#25 Cromartie

I know this is a touchy subject with some because they like to think that he is all world already, but the reality is this guy is probably the least physical guy we have on our defense. I expect him to miss assignments because he's green, but tackling should've been taught a long time ago. That worries me.

#98 Robinson

Slow to read and react. Will and has given up big plays. Lucky he's just a backup.

If we can get these guys fixed, our defense would be all world.

:bolt:

20. Boltdiehard

Ratings:
    +1,171
    On that draw play for the long Alexander TD Jue waited for Alexander to meet him (a good ten yards) and he still couldn't make the tackle along with a pathetic effort from Florence.

Jue sucks. :yes:

BTW that draw play was a great call by Seattle.

• Like Like x 1
  21. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    If I remember correctly, the first game of the year, we played tight with the DB's and we looked amazing. Even today when we play tight we are a lot better then in the past. As long as we are winning I could care less if we back off. Let then teams we play in the playoffs gameplan for that and that is the time to play more bump & run. Get them out of their game plan and throw their timing off. With our pass rush.....Damn....gotta love it!

22. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300

Can't we all just get a-long board?:icon_huh:

23. compubolt

compubolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +186
    Our zone coverage still needs work. I like when we play man since it seems our DB's are much better with it. They just seem to lack that instinct you need in zone coverage. Oh, does anyone think the coaches have done thier best to keep cromartie from taking chances? He has been really good about doing his job, not to much more. I like what I have seen of him.

24. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    We're 13-2.

Whatever the hell Wade & the boys are doing I think it's working.

25. O'reilly

O'reilly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +454
    The Seahags were over 60% on 3rd downs in the 2nd half...not good...

• Like Like x 2
  26. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Soft zone coverage and a complete lack of fundamental tackling made the 2nd half frustrating.

Still, we're winning games and stopping them when it matters most and that is encouraging.

:ABQ2:

27. O'reilly

O'reilly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +454
    We need Luis...it is a different defense when he is in there...No way Alexander goes for 145 if Luis is in there...:no:

• Like Like x 2
  28. ntman68

Ratings:
    +139
    Totally agree, but those wide open spaces about 15 yards deep worry me. You could land the space shuttle on that much open real estate.

29. burkster514

burkster514 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1

Exactly. Something tells me Marty has a plan. The Chargers are doing the bare minimum to win games so they as much left as possible for the REAL season, the playoffs. Despite two surprises (@Cinn. and @ Denver), it's working. And those two surprises were still converted into wins! If we play 60 minutes, we're unbeatable.

• Like Like x 1