1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

First NFL game in 3-D fumbles, then recovers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Dec 5, 2008.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    http://news.wired.com/dynamic/stori...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2008-12-05-07-43-16

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- The first NFL game broadcast to theaters live in 3-D fumbled, then recovered Thursday night.

Two satellite glitches blacked out the broadcast to theaters in Boston, New York and Los Angeles in the first half of the game between the Oakland Raiders and the San Diego Chargers.

And on a few occasions, a quick camera movement or a refocusing - and one ill-advised dissolve - had viewers pulling off their polarized lenses.

But the Los Angeles audience was mostly forgiving, in awe of a spectacle that had depth and in some instances gave the feeling of being on the field, especially for the opening coin toss.

"It's amazing," said Chad Ahrendt, a 35-year-old writer from Los Angeles who attended the screening in Hollywood. "Technically they obviously have a little ways to go, but once they work out all the kinks, it's definitely the new era of television."

John Modell, 48, co-founder of 3ality Digital LLC, the Burbank-based company that put on the show for the NFL, said the demonstration was a good learning experience, and that team owners viewing in New York and Boston had told him they were pleased.

"They're all knocked out," he said.

The NFL has not decided what to do with the technology, but the team owners' broadcasting committee will meet some time before March to discuss it.

Howard Katz, the senior vice president of the NFL's broadcasting and media operations, has said the NFL is for now committed to free, over-the-air broadcasts if and when they adopt 3-D technology. Only about 2 percent of the nation's TV sets are equipped to handle 3-D broadcasts.

Fox Sports plans to broadcast college football's BCS National Championship game to 150 digital movie theaters in 3-D in January.

On Thursday, some systems at a Salt Lake City location had to be rebooted to restart the satellite feed and some camera crews performed pans that ended up leaving the viewers a bit cross-eyed, Modell said.

"Well, this is a test," he said. "It's a learning experience for the director and for the camera people how to shoot."

Some scenes clearly captured the benefits of 3-D broadcasts, however, such as an interception by Chargers linebacker Stephen Cooper as players crisscrossed the field, and a long touchdown catch by San Diego's Vincent Jackson with the arc of the ball caught on camera all the way.

Viewers were encouraged to text in their reaction to the viewing.

One of the first comments, according to the commentators: "More cheerleaders."

2. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    They were playing in SD, so the call for more cheerleaders. If the game was in Oakland there would have been more calls for beer. :abq1:

3. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    I noticed how all the cameras were GINORMOUS.

The robot camera hanging from the cables over the field was one. There was a HUGE, widest lens I've ever seen camera, sweeping our section of the stands.

Perhaps if ALL the Charger games were broadcast in 3D, they would win more.:tup:

4. Aloha Boy420

Aloha Boy420 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Dewds! I went to the one in L.A. I smoked some awesome Jack Herer weed i picked up at my favorite dispenary in L.A. and TRIPPED OUT on this.

When the 3-d DID work it gave the effect of being at the game itself. And the crowd oo'ed and awwe'd.

But the experience combined with this AMAZING bud i picked up made it a truly unique experience! Do some research on the marijuana strain "Jack Herer". This stuff is the BOMB!!!!

(hold on take-atoke break)
    *bong rip*

This stuff is crazy. In L.A. weed is legal now. I've suffered from insomnia for years, and now after having this condition for most of my life i'm rewarded with a piece of paper that lets me go to any of the hundreds of dispensaries now open in LA and get the stanky danky janky wanky stank DANK!

Anyways, the 3-d was cool. Most were just there to smoke weed, i mean to see the 3-D. Not many Bolts/Faider fans out there.

I'll be back guys,
    I'm gonna go smoke....

then i be back.,\\

ALOHA.

5. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Welcome to the site. :icon_toast:

6. Charger Chick

Charger Chick Queen of LOL

Ratings:
    +124
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwIzx9y4vks[/yt]

Hope I did that right.

7. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Now now, the Raiders cheerleaders are pretty hot as well. That's the one thing they do right.

8. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    I am sorry, there is not one thing I like about that team!

And that includes the Cheerleaders.

Once a H8er, always a H8er.

9. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    Smoke Boy Smoke :tup::tup::tup:

I am a raturd hater for life :icon_toast:....... well said !!!!!!!!! I would give rep if i could for that statement.

10. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Well, I guess we differ in this area.

My ABSOLUTE favorite team in the world is Hot Women. It matters not what they are wearing, or with who they are affiliated. If they are hot, I am a fan! :tup:

11. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Jack Herer is defiantly in my top 3 favorite strains. :icon_banana:

:icon_high:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Aloha Boy420

Aloha Boy420 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Yeah and it's hard to find at the dispensaries even. The guy told me they wont be getting it in regularly. Other good sativas along the line are:

Blue Dream Haze
    Brainwreck (more of a hybrid)
    Durban Poison

but none really compare to the Jack Herer. (Blue dream maybe but also another hard strain to find frequently.)