1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

First Official Depth Chart

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Aug 10, 2015.

1. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    http://www.chargers.com/team/depth-chart

Offense
    Position First Second Third Fourth
    Position
    First Second Third Fourth
    WR1
    Keenan Allen
    Dontrelle Inman
    Titus Davis
    Tyrell Williams
    LT
    King Dunlap
    Chris Hairston
    Tyreek Burwell
    LG
    Orlando Franklin
    Craig Watts
    Kenny Wiggins
    C
    Chris Watt
    Trevor Robinson
    Michael Huey
    RG
    Johnnie Troutman
    Jeremiah Sirles
    Melvin Meggs
    RT
    D.J. Fluker
    Joe Barksdale
    Forrestal Hickman
    TE
    Antonio Gates
    David Johnson
    Kyle Miller
    David Paulson
    TE
    Ladarius Green
    John Phillips
    Javontee Herndon
    WR2
    Stevie Johnson
    Austin Pettis
    Javontee Herndon
    WR3
    Malcom Floyd
    Jacoby Jones
    Torrence Allen
    QB
    Philip Rivers
    Kellen Clemens
    Brad Sorensen
    Chase Rettig
    RB
    Melvin Gordon
    Danny Woodhead
    Branden Oliver
    Donald Brown
    Jahwan Edwards
    Dreamius Smith
    Defense
    Position
    DE
    Kendall Reyes
    Ricardo Mathews
    Darius Philon
    Cameron Botticelli
    NT
    Sean Lissemore
    Ryan Carrethers
    Damion Square
    DT
    Corey Liuget
    Mitch Unrein
    Luther Robinson
    OLB
    Melvin Ingram
    Kyle Emanuel
    Colton Underwood
    Brock Hekking
    ILB
    Manti Te'o
    Kavell Conner
    Ikechi Ariguzo
    ILB
    Donald Butler
    Denzel Perryman
    Nick Dzubnar
    Curtis Grant
    OLB
    Jeremiah Attaochu
    Tourek Williams
    Cordarro Law
    Ryan Mueller
    CB
    Brandon Flowers
    Steve Williams
    Chris Davis
    Manuel Asprilla
    Richard Crawford
    Lowell Rose
    CB
    Jason Verrett
    Patrick Robinson
    Greg Ducre
    Jordan Mabin
    Craig Mager
    SS
    Jahleel Addae
    Jimmy Wilson
    Gordon Hill
    Johnny Lowdermilk
    FS
    Eric Weddle
    Darrell Stuckey
    Adrian Phillips
    Special Teams
    Position
    P
    Mike Scifres
    K
    Nick Novak
    Josh Lambo
    H
    Mike Scifres
    Eric Weddle
    LS
    Mike Windt
    John Phillips
    Kyle Miller
    PR
    Jacoby Jones
    Keenan Allen
    Chris Davis
    KR
    Jacoby Jones
    Chris Davis
    Branden Oliver
    Torrence Allen
    Titus Davis
    Dreamius Smith

2. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    I notice Craig Mager is listed behind both Greg Ducre and Chris Davis, entrenching him in the "4th string" defense.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    It actually looks like Jordan Mabin and Manuel Asprilla are "4th string".
    Mager is 5th..running with...Richard Crawford...but above Lowell Rose. :unsure:

4. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Yeah I see that now, but when you click on the link the depth chart is more ambiguous.

Or maybe I was just trying to be nice. ;)

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +502
    Trout still showing at RG too....

All I'm hearing about Titus Davis is that he has talent but has problems catching and holding onto the ball. How is he ahead of Tyrell Williams who I was very hopeful for?

Also see Ryan Mueller getting mentions now and he is behind quite a few. If it were a choice between him and Underwood for PS wonder who it will be. Having said that might either of them have a chance of beating out Law to the 53?

That's some slap in the face for Mager....

6. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    My initial reaction is one of frustration and disappointment.

1. Tyrell Williams is listed as 4th string. I had high hopes for him and it isn't looking good so far.

2. I just can't get too enthusiastic when it comes to Watt. I see him as a player with limited potential.

3. Troutman is still at starting RG?! I have always been a Troutman defender and have wanted to be patient with him, but he was pretty much terrible last year. And our new guys are so good that nobody can beat out Troutman? That's not a good sign.

4. Fluker is still at RT? What's the over/under on sacks allowed by Fluker if he plays RT this year? 6, 6.5, 7? It's difficult to be too excited about that.

5. Donald Brown is still on the roster? In August? At $3M base salary ($4M+ salary cap number)? Does he have naked pictures of Telesco/McCoy/Spanos? In an unrelated note, Ryan Mathews' base salary is $1M and his cap number is $2M. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC*************!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Defensively, Reyes is still listed as a starter. No, no, no!!!

7. Carrethers still hasn't emerged over Lissemore. So we are soft/undersized at two-thirds of our starting DL. Teams should continue to be able to run all over us if things remain this way.

8. Tourek Williams is an Attaochu injury from actually being on the field on defense. I think that is the definition of not quality depth. It is disappointing that Law cannot beat out Tourek Williams.

9. Mager is on bust pace as "5th string" CB, and is not even on the safety depth chart (silencing that discussion for the time being). If this were some other team, I would be laughing at them. And Carl Davis was on the board, a player that could have helped make our DL more stout, making this development even worse.

10. Lastly, Wilson has not been able to beat out Addae so far. That position was there to be upgraded this offseason and we apparently didn't succeed in doing that.

While I do not want to discount the possibility that some of the guys that we already had have developed, hopefully, we will see some things in the preseason that shake things up as far as that depth chart is concerned. Otherwise, it looks like a whole lot of what wasn't good enough before and not enough of an impact from new/developing players that we hoped would be more important in terms of their role on the team.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    Don't take this as much of anything, likely they copied it over from shortly after the draft.

By all accounts Fluker/Barksdale are running w/the first team on the right side and Troutman is struggling with the 2s. So that's first and foremost.

Mager is, as I said on the show, going to be redshirted and primarily be a special teamer this year. He has talent and looks like he's improving from one day to the next but he has a way to go. That doesn't make him a bust, G-d he hasn't even stepped into a game. I'm not saying Chargers wouldn't have been better going somewhere else but we will see.

Philon/Emanuel will be second stringers and get a lot of playing time in PS and I'm thinking be good rotational players, they're making a nice name for themselves.

I'm not impressed honestly with Addae or Wilson, this needs to be an area addressed next off-season I think.

There's no reason to cut D. Brown until end of TC. If someone gets injured he becomes a ready made backup option. If not then he's cut at the last day. Patience.

Reyes is a starter in name only. He'll be a passing down person with Matthews taking over more snaps especially on run downs.

8. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Idiots. How do you have your 3rd round pick dead last at CB depth. Fire TT & MM

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Because not every player comes into the NFL as one of the top players in the world*. Telesco saw something, whether justified or not time will tell, to make him select him and he, like many players need time to learn the game and may not just be ready to be on the field.

*This is not specific to Mager, this is true for many players who are forced into starting due to premium draft position, positional need, or GM's feeling urgency to produce players right away for fear of losing their jobs.

10. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Usually when guys are "red shirted" they're not 3rd round picks, and they don't take up spots on the 53 man roster.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    Exactly.

I have nothing against Mager for not being able to beat out Verrett and Flowers on day 1. If something like that were to happen, then Mager would be the steal of the draft.

The issue with Mager and the depth chart is that the depth chart shows Mager as the 5th string CB on one side. By the numbers, that would make him the 9th best CB on our roster and that's about 4 more than most teams keep.

So, if the guy is a 3rd round pick and he can't make the final 53, I would definitely consider him a bust. I think picks in rounds 1-3 should be able to make the teams that drafted them.

I am not going to dismiss the concept that Mager will be "reshirted", but there is nothing in his measurables or background that screams "redshirt" like there was with Ladarius Green.

In Green's case, he is big, fast and has great hands. There was no way that he was going to make it through waivers, so we had to keep him as an extra TE. I don't see Mager in that light at all, but maybe the preseason will show us all something.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    I hope you are right about Fluker/Barksdale and about Reyes.

I like Emanuel (he was in my pre-draft clusters) and I am coming around some with respect to Philon (I hated the pick initially).

I think Addae is a decent player, but I am disappointed if Wilson is not better. If Wilson is not better than Addae, then he is not better than Gilchrist and we didn't get better, which is the goal of all of these moves.

I can't get too excited when a 3rd round CB is listed as the 9th best CB on the team. I don't see anything about his game (including his potential) that makes him a redshirt candidate like what the team did with Green.

I disagree with respect to D. Brown. I think there are about 3 million reasons to cut him. If we cut him, we can use his money to bring in someone else (like Chris Johnson). And even if we don't replace him with someone else and we try to develop an UDFA instead, it would be good to get whoever Brown's replacement would be some reps before the games count.

13. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    let them play a couple of preseason game to see who is ahead of who (whom?)

14. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    Right. My comments assume that the depth chart is, you know, the depth chart.

If the OL starters are different than the depth chart suggests, if Carrethers emerges over Lissemore, if someone takes 2nd string OLB over T. Williams, If Tyrell Williams makes the team, if Wilson starts over Addae, et cetera, then any of that would be cause for me to view the situation in a more favorable light.

But by the depth chart, the only changes are:

Gordon starting and not Mathews: wash while both players are healthy

Franklin and not Rinehart: upgrade

Attaochu versus Freeney/Johnson: upgrade

Verrett versus Wright: upgrade as to pass coverage, downgrade as to run defense

Jacoby Jones as PR/KR: upgrade

By the depth chart, the weaknesses at RG, RT, NT, 3-4 DE and SS remain unresolved.

Now, based upon what AnteaterCharger has to say, maybe we have fixed RG and RT. That would be a huge step in the right direction. If that is the case, then the DL is the obvious remaining weakness. SS is okay, just something that could be upgraded.

• Like Like x 2
  15. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    I think that by the season opener Fluker will be the starting RG and Barksdale de starting RT

also, I kinda like Addae

16. Bonzi Jones

Bonzi Jones BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +84
    So much for picking up CJ2K...

17. Bonzi Jones

Bonzi Jones BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +84
  18. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    I keep hearing Kyle Emmanuel is getting more first team reps.

Awesome to hear he's doing well, but does that mean he's taking snaps from Attaochu or Ingram?

19. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    Probably Ingram if I had to guess, since he's always hurt

20. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    Even worse, the deal is basically only an $870K deal. It is possible for Jonson to get as much as $2M, but he has to hit big numbers/make the Pro Bowl to get those dollars.

Basically, we could have had Johnson and Mathews for less than what we are paying D. Brown this year. But why get two RBs who have demonstrated Pro Bowl quality when you can have a piece of crap like D. Brown for more money?

21. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Is there some sort of switch that you can turn off so you don't bring up Mathews in every post you make?

• Funny Funny x 1
  22. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    Sure. The team could cut D. Brown and use the money to get a good player, perhaps even a player as good as the player that shall not be named.

• Funny Funny x 1
  23. Bonzi Jones

Bonzi Jones BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +84
    It's okay Brundlefly. He usually always off sets it with Donald Brown. Although I was on board to keep Mathews (especially for that price) if he wanted to stay along with bringing in a RB to help once all signs pointed to cutting Donald Brown. As far as Chris Johnson goes, I think he would have fit our system perfectly. And with that asking price and the role he would be used at, I dont see why we didnt try to bring him in.

We always say we need to get more speed on the team. Well I am still waiting to see Telesco go after some playmakers. Even if its someone you have to take a chance on with prove it deals. I think our locker room is strong enough to handle any player with possible character issues.

24. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    I do not, I repeat, do not, want Ryan L**f back with this team :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  25. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    Oh, I didn't mean that he who really shall not be named, just the one Brundlefly didn't want me to mention. :)

26. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +502
    I see the UT guys have their first 53 projection done, here is where I agree/disagree with them;

QBs - agree
    RBs - agree
    TEs - agree esp that we go with only 3 this yr, Phillips will do well to hang on when Gates returns
    WR - picking Herndon to stick is v interesting, it's he or Pettis for me, we go with 6 though
    OL - can't see Troutman making it esp injured, I'm bringing in Huey instead, we go with 9
    DL - agree but Lissemore is on thin ice esp if we pick up a NT cast off
    OLB - I reckon Mueller makes it over Law or more likely Tourek, we go with 5
    ILB - agree
    S - will be surprised if we go with 5, I say 4 and instead bring in an extra corner, Phillips to miss out
    CB - Chris Davis or Richard Crawford to be CB no. 6
    Sp - agree

27. Bonzi Jones

Bonzi Jones BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +84
    • Like Like x 1
  28. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    • Informative Informative x 1