1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

First Preseason Game Thoughts...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Ikeman83, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I'm sure if you clicked this you were expecting to see my thoughts. Sadly, as I go gallivanting through Europe I don't have the time/access to the games. That being the case, I was hoping to get some input from my fellow Bolttalkers on how the team looked, specifically:

1.) How did the rest of the RBs look after Mathews went down?
    2.) How were Bigby and Taylor at SS?
    3.) I heard that Ingram made some plays, how did he look?
    4.) What was the D-line rotation, and how has Liuget developed? Also, how did Reyes look?
    5.) How did the left side of our O-line look? Were we able to effectively pick up blitzes?
    6.) How was L. Green, and which of our receivers stuck out (good or bad)?

Thanks for your thoughts! I'll drink a beer for you all in Vienna for lunch and a glass of wine in Venice for dinner. :tup:

2. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,413
    1) Hayes may look great in practice, but showed nothing in the game. Brinkley is a gamer..... the guy brings full effort.
    2) Bigby shows good instincts...... quick to recover fumble. Taylor needs work, no surprise.
    3) Ingram is aggressive and active. He forced Rodgers into a bad throw that Cason picked off.
    4) The rookies played a lot, so we saw plenty of Reyes, who looked decent. Liuget looks improved from last year.
    5) Harris held up pretty well, and used his long arms to his advantage. made some mistakes, but for a UDFA, I was impressed. No question we need to get Gaither back.
    6) Didn't notice Green to be honest. Brown looked good and had a nice TD.

3. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    I know you didn't ask this, but I'd like to add that the coverage units did well on special teams, though
    I kind of wondered why the Packers return guys were mostly fair catching the ball when they clearly had
    about 10 yard cushions between them and the nearest would-be tackler. Shareece Wright stood out from
    his gunner position.
    The defense as a whole was tackling well, but it's preseason and guys fighting for jobs all want to get in
    on the tackle.
    The rest is basically what Blue said.

4. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    1. Hayes looked overwhelmed, Brown looked okay, Brinkley had a couple good moments.
    2. Bigby was solid but didn't flash anything special yet. Taylor damn near gave up an 80 yard TD had the throw been a little better, he bit hard on the play fake.
    3. Ingram was everywhere, making tackles on the sideline, creating pressure, dropping into coverage, at one point they even double teamed him. Very good start...but keeping our heads lets remember Liuget had an excellent pre-season last year.
    4. Started with Martin, Garay, and Liuget. I wouldn't take much away from that, we were lining up against the Packers who spread us out wide, and in no time we had only Martin and Garay in the game with extra LB's or DBs on the field. Was very happy with most everything I saw from Reyes, the guy created pressure and played solid against the run. Liuget did a good job holding his own and not giving up running lanes. We'll find out more next week.
    5. Left side was solid, Harris played very well. Right side was mediocre at best thanks to Clary. Nobody did a great job run blocking.
    6. Didn't notice him.

5. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Thanks for the responses guys. I barely have time to check BT and FB on this trip. Definitely wouldn't have been able to watch the Chargers game, even if I could've.

6. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    WHAT!!! just randomly throwing fellow players to the ground?:roflmao:

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Why is Clary still here?:poop: Remindes me of a 70's toy called spinout 360

8. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Watched the game over the weekend. Thought Ingram looked v good, yes Tirico and Gruden were salivating over him but if you could ignore that he looked the real deal to me. Harris did fine at Left Tackle but am I happy to think of him as starting over there, eh, No, not yet. Shareece Wright looked real good on STs. Thought Spurlock showed us something. Reyes was meh for me, not all that impressive. English showed us some power, if he can stay upright it's a bonus. Vincent Brown is a gamer.

9. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    One person who wasn't on my radar but impressed me was Taylor Embree the UDFA WR out of UCLA, showed good hands and speed on a couple of really nice catches

10. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    The other guy Willie might be better. In some of the TC footage I saw I thought Embree looked laboured.

11. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,158
    I agree...I was thinking "This kid's definitely helping himself..." but when you look at all the WRs on the roster
    http://www.chargers.com/team/roster.html
    it's hard to see how Embree's going to crack the line-up

12. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Feck just remembered I left 1 guy out. Yes he was going up against 2nd and 3rd teamers but this guy Molk looks like the steal of the draft for me.

13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Molk was an absolute steal in the 7th.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Hayes has impressed in camp, but I didn't see anything in that first game to get excited about. Looked tentative and picked the wrong spots, on top of fumbling the ball. You could see the pain on Norv's face. ;)

15. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Another thing I'd mention, Larry English looked like he could be serviceable depth this year, I think his roster spot is safe even if he doesn't suit up every week.

16. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Providing he doesn't pull up lame again. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,158
    Maybe Blue needs to do a graphic on Chargers running
    around like T-Rexes...Ingram isn't the only short-armed
    draft pick--that was a rap on Molk too!
    (though his lack of height was the bigger complaint)

18. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    What Molk loses in height he gains in leverage and balance. For me that is what the center position is all about, provided you have the bulk (and skills), height is not so important for a center. Molk looks incredibly well balanced and as we know is extremely strong.

19. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Molk is considered a very good technician, a very important talent for a center. Seldom will you see a center that is as large as the defensive guy he's facing, particularly against a 3-4 D. Much of the position is about leverage, footwork, & hand placement.

20. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Sorry Buck had the (and skills) in wrong position above. I've corrected it now. I agree he seems to be a great technician. I watched him quite a bit the other day and he looked real solid.

• Like Like x 1
  21. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    It was a double scoop of vanilla although Pags was bringing some interesting blitz packages and I don't believe it was just for show. I'm hoping what I saw of the defense is a hint of what's to come and something I've been waiting from a Bolt's team since, well forever. DEFENSE wins championships!!!!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I watched the game a little more closely today. My "quick hits" post in this thread earlier seemed to be upheld on further review but I'll add add ....

Ingram is indeed a beast in the making, short arms be damned.
    Reyes is going to start by game 1 of the regular season.
    Cam Thomas looks as though the game has slowed down considerably for him. Nice job filling lanes.
    English can indeed get after it when healthy.
    Our secondary talent drops off quickly behind the starters. Brandon Taylor needs to get up to speed in short order. Stuckey looks like another ST-only pick to me. Wright/Gilchrist look OK - hopefully TC/pre-season game reps will help them elevate their game.
    Mouton needs work but can lay a damn good lick.
    Butler is on the verge of bona fide ILB stud status.

Lee was inconsistent but showed potential. He could really push Charlie.
    Hayes looked slow & the fumble didn't help his cause any. Didn't see Baker get but 1-2 touches. Brinkley just keeps making it hard to push him out, particularly with the Mathews' injury. Battle didn't show much IMO. Someone better reinforce to McClain that he was brought in to be a lead blocker first.
    Vincent Brown may be our best WR - sorry Malcom, but until you stay healthy for 16 games you get a demerit for it. Embree made a couple of nice catches but overall looks slow, as does Willie. Payne showed far more quicks than those two, IMO.
    Our OL got very little push in the run game. Harris looked good in pass blocking but I really hope he doesn't have to start. Molk will quite likely pushed Baxter outta the way - just needs to add some beef but technique is very sound. Green played pretty well as did Vasquez, but again - not much push in the run game. Someone has GOT to be able to push Clary out of 1st chair.
    Even though we haven't seen much of L.Green, I think we'll keep 4 TE's & Sperry will be odd man out. Rosario looked good. Gates looked 5 years younger.

Scifres is still a weapon, Novak is going to lose out.

Plenty of work left to do between PR & Meachem & on third down D.

23. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    I rewatched the game on my iPad (the NFL preseason app is great for reviewing, since it has a condensed feature to see every play without pauses). I would have to agree with your assessments, but Ladarius is a mystery to me. Are they hiding him on purpose, or is he really that far behind?

24. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Being the first exhibition game is no cause for celebration, schemes and the bag of tricks are left in the locker-room for another day. Vanilla on vanilla wasn't bad and lots of butterflies were set loose, the Bolt's do have some athletic young guys for sure and this is what dreams are made of.

25. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I dunno. Hard to believe that he's really behind. They already knew that he isn't a strong blocker but a good receiver. He was in camp on time. Haven't heard anything about an injury.

Could it be that they know they want to keep him & are spending more reps on others to decide who goes?

26. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    It is disappointing when you hear players talked up based on practice, but then they show nothing in a preseason game...... Hayes in particular.

27. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Like Troutman? They wanted him badly enough to warehouse the guy for a year. Green may come down with an undisclosed injury. ;)

28. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Who knows? I know that I'll be both surprised & disappointed if he doesn't get a chance to stick.

29. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    Is there anyone on our roster on either side of the ball that isn't a starter and would like to start at RT?
    I was just thinking that it's been done before, lineman have switched from defense to offense and vice-versa
    so if I think I might be on the verge of not making the team or am going to be relegated to backing up and
    I really want to start and the money that goes with it...attack the weak spot and try out there.
    This isn't about hating on Clary, it's about wanting to get the best guy to play at that position which happens
    to be a clear weak spot on our team.
    Somebody, anybody...step up damnit.

30. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    They're not going to hide anyone on purpose. Other orgs will sniff that **** out.
    Let's see what happens next game. If he doesn't get snaps, then the proof is in the pudding. That said, he was getting reps in practice this week, so we'll see how it works out. You'd think he'd be ahead of Sperry, a known quantity, in terms of future projection. No way he's ahead of Rosario. So it'll be a matter if they want him as the 50th-53rd guy on the roster or risk the 24 hr waivers to PS.