1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

First Round of Cuts - Who gets let go today?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by MadMike, Aug 31, 2010.

1. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    So today we have to get down to 75 on the roster and we currently have 79 + VJ and MM who dont count until they sign. This is my guess for todays cuts:

Nick Novak - No way Nate is going anywhere so there is no reason to keep this guy when we need to look at other positions more

Gary Banks - Love the kid but he is not making the team and out of respect for his dedication, we cut him early and give him an early shot to get picked up by another team

Traye Simmons - Havent seen much of him on the field and the corner back postion is awfully full with Jammer and Cason starting, and Strickland, The Hughes Bros., and Vasher.

Marcus Mason - Sorry kid but you just havent shown any magic, no break away speed, no sharp cuts, and there is talent behind you in McNeal and Brinkley even if it is very raw.

Who do you think gets cut???

2. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Well it's official Gary Banks is history. I feel for him being no spring chicken. Assume Beckwith will do a Nick Roach now and go start somewhere. Might be a case of letting the better guy go so he can catch on someplace else. I don't think for a min Darry was the worst LB on the team.

3. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Chargers release, add players

Posted 38 minutes ago

San Diego reached the maximum 75-man roster Tuesday with several transactions.

SAN DIEGO – San Diego released four players Tuesday to meet the 75-player maximum required by the NFL.
    The Chargers released receiver Gary Banks[​IMG], linebacker Darry Beckwith[​IMG], guard Lee Grimes[​IMG] and running back Marcus Mason[​IMG].
    The team also placed inside linebacker Donald Butler[​IMG] on Reserve/Injured. Butler injured his Achilles during training camp.
    San Diego also signed punter Glenn Pakulak. The 30-year-old Pakulak played in 10 career games with the Saints and Redskins in ’08 and ’09 and averaged 44.4 yards per punt. His net average is 36.2 yards.
    Pakulak earned the Mosi Tatupu Award given to the nation’s best special teams player as a senior at the University of Kentucky. He averaged 45.6 yards per punt and ranked third in the nation during the ’02 season.

4. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Marcus Mason is completely useless, not surprised at all to see him cut today.

5. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Signed another punter? Why?

6. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I hope Boonah Brinkley makes the team!

7. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +47
    they don't want Scifres leg tired out from all the punts needed with Crompton at QB.

8. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Nick Novak lives!!! :abq1:

9. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    Surprised Novak made it thru today and signing another punter?? For a week?? I guess they want Nate and Mike fresh but they have 10 days between the last pre-season game and our opener on Monday night so... Oh well, 50% on my picks ha!

10. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Damn was hoping Banks would shine eventually. Maybe somewhere else. And looks like Derry is my new Nick Roach. Provided NE or DEN dont pick him up I could be good with that.

53 is gonna be brutal.

11. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Beckwith was leading all AFC defensive players in tackles through the pre-season. not a big deal I guess, but thought he might make it another wk.

12. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    If he clears waivers he will probably be a practice squad guy.

13. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Only he wont clear wavers. If Roach didnt, I doubt any team lookin for another starter competitor will be forgetting who he is. Sides what is it a week before we can sign him back onto the PS?

14. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Just saw this and this seems most relevant to this thread.

15 minutes ago - DE-T Ryon Bingham has been waived. CB Fred Bennett, a fourth-round pick in 2007, was claimed off waivers from the Houston Texans. These moves are in addition to the transactions announced earlier on Tuesday to cut the roster to 75.
    Chargers RapidReports

damn so much for Bingham been a long ride.

15. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Banks is no loss. Beckwith is strange. Happy that Ryon Bingham isn't going to be wasting any space this year.

16. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Picking up Fred Bennett was interesting, I'm guessing that someone (Strickland/Vasher/Hughes) isn't safe

17. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Both Hughes' have been terrible, so has Vasher.

Strickland is money.

18. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    I have no idea what we're doing at ILB...could it be that we're thinking of moving one of our OLBers inside...Applewhite or Tucker?

19. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    The San Diego Chargers claimed cornerback Fred Bennett off waivers from the Houston Texans.
    A 6-foot-1, 200-pound fourth-year player out of South Carolina, Bennett played in 10 games and made three starts for the Texans at cornerback last seaosn.
    He finished the year with 15 defensive tackles and three on special teams.
    A fourth-round pick of the Texans in the 2007 NFL Draft, Bennett led the team with three interceptions as a rookie.
    In 40 career games and 17 starts, Bennett registered 111 career tackles, five interceptions, 24 pass deflections and four forced fumbles.
    Bennett was a two-time All-Southeastern Conference choice at South Carolina and a three-year starter for the Gamecocks. He intercepted nine passes.

20. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Bennett is garbage... he's just fresher garbage. The guy got progressively worse and worse for Houston and you know that if the Texans (a team that has cited CB and secondary among their needs for the past half-decade plus) are cutting a DB he's going to be a long-shot to turn out to be quality.

Dunno... maybe it's a scheme or use issue... but Bennett is another Cro in that he shies away from making physical tackles when the need arises. I'd hate to lose even Simmons over him, let alone Brandon Hughes who has at least shown some flashes and still has PS eligibility because he spent all last season on IR.

I get the feeling that letting Beckwith go is the likely nod to keeping Lang (be it however we have to shift the LB corps around to do it), since there's no way Lang would make it through waivers so the only way to keep him is as one of the 53. Phillips is capable of playing one of the nickel spots if need-be, who knows... maybe they're serious about finally getting all three of SP, SM, and LE on the field at the same time? Applewhite has the skill-set to see some reps on the interior. Burnett is still healthy... for now. Does give some hope to being able to hopefully leak Kion Wilson through to the PS.

Banks was... it was just his time. Goodman and Tutu both outperformed him in terms of receiving production, and Goodman outshone Banks in terms of S/T production (as a gunner and Goodman has the potential to return kicks in a pinch too).

Bingham... another where it was just his time. Others are stepping up and even if the likes of TJ and, God willing, Cesaire aren't with us this time next season, we'll still return adequate pieces in Castillo, Garay, V-Mart, OG, Thomas, and possibly even Derrick Jones (though I think he may be PS bound) to allow us to only really need to supplement the rotation with a player or two from next year's draft versus having to go out in absolute search of a bonafide replacement for any one position across the front 3.

• Like Like x 1
  21. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    yeaaaa im glad marcus mason is gone next to go is shawneberry mcneal this kid was good on tape but garbage in preseason

22. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +47
    I was surprised by the Bennett signing, as well.

If we keep five safties like last year, and I think we do... Proabably only 4 corners make the roster, and the top three are set...so that's five guys competing for 1 spot: Vasher, Bennet, Hughes, Hughes, and Simmons.

Beckwith I think, was a move to let the guy catch on somewhere, as he wasn't going to make it here. Holt will make the roster this year, and we'll have Butler back next year... and he's already been on our PS one year. I think this was a favor to Beckwith, if anything.

Best wishes to Gary Banks, hope he can get a job somewhere, but he wasn't good enough here.

Marcus Mason... what can I say, Curtis Brinkly looked better.

23. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Agree. nothing to add.