1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Fisher: Volek lied to him

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Titans coach claims QB repeatedly asked for trade
    Posted: Wednesday September 20, 2006 4:11PM; Updated: Wednesday September 20, 2006 4:20PM

Billy Volek told several reporters that he didn't know why he went from starter to third-stringer before the season.
    AP

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- Coach Jeff Fisher lashed out at critics of the Tennessee Titans' dealings with Billy Volek, saying Wednesday that Volek lied to him and never took advantage of the opportunity to be the starter.

The Titans finally traded Volek on Tuesday to the San Diego Chargers for a sixth-round draft pick that could become a fifth-rounder depending on playing time. Fisher said Volek asked to be traded the day the Titans signed Kerry Collins late last month.

"I never at anytime in my career have gone into such detail (about a trade). But I felt the responsibility, as Billy felt he was thrown under the bus," Fisher said. "Billy threw this organization under the bus, along with a number of his teammates."

Click the link for the full article.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/09/20/bc.fbn.titans.qbs.ap/index.html

2. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    He said, she said :no:

3. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    he must be feeling some heat from trading a guy better than his starter.... :yes:

• Like Like x 1
  4. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    All this is Norm Chow's fault.

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    there's two parts

1. Volek thought he would be the starter when McNair left and had been knowing the system for a while so really working harder wasn't needed
    2. Fischer was in a bad situation, knew it, and needed a scapegoat

6. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    I'm not sure what Fisher means taken advantage of being the starter. From what I have seen, there seems to be a decided disadvantage to being the starting QB of the Titans.

7. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    :icon_rofl:

8. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Titans' Volek cost himself starting quarterback job

Just four days before their eminently winnable opener against the visiting Jets, the Titans still don't know -- or aren't saying -- who their starting quarterback will be. If the recently acquired Kerry Collins gets the nod over presumed starter Billy Volek despite having less than two weeks of familiarity with Tennessee's offense, there's only one real reason for the 11th-hour move: Volek was doing more presuming than practicing, perfecting and performing.

Simply put, Volek was handed the No. 1 job once Steve McNair left for Baltimore, but he didn't seize the opportunity. Tennessee sources say Volek has consistently overestimated his grasp on the starting job, believing he was further along in his development than he actually is. And even more telling, Volek is said to have shown little inclination to put in the long hours of work necessary to hone his craft, even after the Titans made Texas star Vince Young the third overall pick in this year's draft.

That's where Volek might have been negatively influenced by McNair, whom Volek caddied for the past six years. McNair never was one to wear his coaches out with overpreparation and always had an air of "I've got it, it's under control'' about him. He was generally among the last Titans to show up in the morning and one of the first to leave. But while that easy-does-it style worked for McNair, the only Oilers/Titans quarterback to take his team to the Super Bowl, Volek didn't seem to realize he hadn't earned the right to that kind of laid-back approach.

Click the link for the full article.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...lek/index.html

9. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Is old Doc Andrews involved or related?

10. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Volek happy to change sidelines
    By Casey Pearce, Chargers.com
    As Billy Volek stood on the sideline wearing a ball cap at Sunday’s Chargers-Titans game, a series of emotions stirred in him. He hurt for the team he gave his heart and soul to for six seasons, but at the same time began to get excited about what he might become a part of.

“It was a very interesting situation,” Volek said. “The Chargers are playing great ball right now and it’s crazy how things worked out. They’re bringing me in for some experience. Hopefully I can help out this team the best that I can. I think I bring a lot to the table.”

The Chargers acquired Volek from Tennessee Tuesday in exchange for a 2007 sixth-round draft choice. The draft choice could become a fifth-round choice if Volek participates in 50% of the team’s total offensive plays in ‘06. Volek brings a live arm and an extensive amount of experience to San Diego.

“He’s been to the battle before and he knows what it takes,” Chargers Head Coach Marty Schottenheimer said. “We’re delighted to have him in here. We were looking for a guy who has been under center. He’s started 10 games and played in 24. That experience is a commodity that we really didn’t have. It was an ideal acquisition for us.”

http://www.chargers.com/news/headlines/volek-happy-to.htm

11. mapcap55

mapcap55 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +66
    So what, we have acquired a lazy crybaby?:icon_eek:

If any of this stuff is true I hope that he doesen't try this crap here...

12. Nomadic Bolt Fan

Nomadic Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    Even if this is true, he better not try that **** in SD. We all know what AJ does to those type of players.

13. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    Man just listened to Fishers interview on NFL live. Hope this guy isn't the POS he sounds like.

14. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    he send them to New Orleans :icon_rofl:

15. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

FISHER LOSING HIS MARBLES?

Titan coach Jeff Fisher, who ranks second behind only Coach Chin in tenure with the same NFL team, went bonkos on Wednesday regarding former Tennessee quarterback Billy Volek, calling him a liar but decining to say what he had lied about.

"I never at anytime in my career have gone into such detail," Fisher said. "But I felt the responsibility, as Billy felt he was thrown under the bus, Billy threw this organization under the bus, along with a number of his teammates."

Okay, fine. What did he do?

"He was untruthful with me, untruthful with his head coach, about where he was and what he was doing. So we started off on the wrong page there, and that did not sit well with me," Fisher said.

It sounds like Fisher is referring to Volek's activities in the offseason. Perhaps while the Titans were dicking around with Steve McNair, locking him out of the facility and taking the issue to arbitration, Volek wasn't lifting enough weights, saying enough prayers, and/or eating enough vitamins.

Regardless, Fisher's suggestion that they "started off on the wrong page" doesn't explain why the team would, on the eve of the regular season, bring in Kerry Collins and put him at the top of the depth chart. If Volek was being such a problem, make the move earlier.

Our guess? Fisher lobbied for the move because he feared that, under Volek, the team would suck and Fisher wouldn't get a new contract to replace the deal that expires after the 2006 season. We also suspect that Fisher and G.M. Floyd Reese, who wouldn't be on the same page while reading a one-sheet newspaper, banged heads on the Collins acquisition as well. Fisher probably had wanted to add Collins for weeks if not months, and Reese probably was resisting it. So then Reese finally agrees to it at a time when it's far too late for Collins to be successful. And now that the Titans suck anyway, they're forced to give up Volek for a pimento loaf sandwich, and Fisher feels even more heat as it's all falling apart.

True? Who knows. But that's what we'll choose to believe, unless and until Fisher tells us what Volek said or did to get himself branded as a liar.

16. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Billy Volek is a liar! The prophet needs to run this guy out of town NOW! :hilarious:

17. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Does anyone know what Fisher was lieing about yet.:icon_shrug: :icon_shrug: :icon_tease: :icon_huh: :icon_rofl:

18. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    :lol:

19. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

20. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

21. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Steve Fischer is related to Drew Brees. :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek:

Both fuggin LIARS !!!!!! :bolt:

22. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Brees lied
    Donnie lied
    Mansker lied
    Fisher lied
    What a bunch of liars they can all kiss my *** ! :kisskiss:

23. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    FU :icon_finger: :icon_evil: :icon_finger: :icon_evil: :icon_finger: :icon_evil:

24. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Its Jeff Fisher you GB :icon_mrgreen:

25. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Ahh **** .... :icon_evil:

26. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    He's A lying ****....:icon_evil:

27. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Yup and even a POS like leisure knew who I was talking about and I did not even get his first or last name right. :lol: