1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Five keys to the season

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by LT teh ghost, Sep 9, 2005.

1. LT teh ghost

LT teh ghost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +313
    http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2005/09/09/sports/professional/chargers/20_59_209_8_05.txt

Five keys to the Chargers making a return to the playoffs:

> 1. QB Drew Brees must prove last year's Pro Bowl season wasn't a fluke in a career which had been mediocre. Brees clutches the steering wheel of what is potentially among the NFL's most productive and versatile offenses. But if Brees resembles the 2002 and 2003 model, the Chargers will stall.

> 2. RB LaDainian Tomlinson needs to remain fit. Tomlinson, with his jaw-dropping running ability, reliable hands and understated leadership, is what makesthis offense so extraordinary.

> 3. CB Quentin Jammer, at some point, has to back up his status as the 2002 draft's fifth overall pick. Every good defense needs a shutdown corner; Jammer has yet to fill that role.

> 4.Discovering a pass rush would help Jammer and Co. Rookies Shawne Merriman and Luis Castillo were to deliver it, but both had training camps littered with injuries. As bright as defensive coordinator Wade Phillips is, schemes can only do so much.

> 5. Avoid a let down, something which has struck previous successful Marty Schottenheimer teams.The seasons following his two 13-3 teams in Kansas City show a combined mark of 16-16.

2. oca

oca BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    I agree with those points. I'd really like to see Jammer have a breakout season. I'm hoping our entire defense steps it up a notch.

3. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +744
    Yup, those are all the key points for the season. I think that Jammer will have a breakthrough year. But he will need help from the pass rush.