1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Five to watch during offseason workouts

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by wrbanwal, May 15, 2008.

1. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    http://chargers.com/news/headlines/five-to-watch.htm

Starting next Monday, the Chargers will be back on the field as they begin a five-week period of Offseason Coaching Sessions. The 14 practices are strictly voluntary, but the Bolts will use the time to get a head start on the 2008 season.

Philip Rivers’ progress

Earlier this month, Rivers conceded that his right knee would be a story throughout the summer and the entire 2008 season. The Chargers’ signal caller, who is 25-7 as a starter in the regular season, has given his all this spring as he’s recovered from ACL surgery. To date, the results have been good.

Rivers was heavily involved in mini camp and will participate in OCS’s at about the same pace. He’ll likely avoid the team periods but will benefit from throwing with his receivers during installation and individual drills. His work during mini camp was impressive, and one should expect nothing less during OCS’s.

Where’s Hester?

NFL policy restricts rookies from participating in any team activities until their schools are out of session. That means following mini camp earlier this month, the Chargers’ draft picks and undrafted free agents headed home for a couple of weeks. They’ll return this weekend to rejoin their team Monday, and each will benefit from his time in the offseason program.

Mini camp saw Chargers third-round pick Jacob Hester line up all over the field. He spent time as a tailback, a fullback, in the slot and split wide. Hester had a lot thrown at him during his first weekend as an NFL player, and the next month will give him an opportunity to apply it all as Head Coach Norv Turner finds unique ways to use this unique player.

Safety net

Second-year pro Paul Oliver is another player who will likely line up in a variety of places during OCS’s. He mostly played cornerback in college but Chargers coaches are experimenting with him at free safety as well. During mini camp, Oliver worked at the nickel corner spot with the first-team defense in their sub packages and also was the free safety with the second-team base defense.

An interesting side note: although this is Oliver’s second season, it’s his first round of OCS’s. The Chargers selected the former Georgia Bulldog in the Supplemental Draft last July after their offseason program had already concluded. Oliver’s first NFL offseason is a big one for him as he prepares for an increased role in 2008.

This spring is also a chance for Eric Weddle and Clinton Hart to continue to grow together as Weddle ascends to the starting lineup. Steve Gregory, who has spent his first two seasons contributing mostly on special teams, could add depth at safety this fall as well and will benefit from the work the next few weeks.

Other injuries

In addition to Rivers, a few other Chargers will use the OCS period to get back in the swing of things after missing some time with injuries. Tight end Antonio Gates, center Nick Hardwick and fullback Andrew Pinnock won’t be ready for the volunteer sessions, but defensive tackle Jamal Williams and wide receiver Eric Parker are expected to be on the field.

Williams had both of his knees scoped this offseason but claims that he’s feeling great. It’s unlikely that he’ll work every day, but the three-time Pro Bowler will be in the huddle getting ready for another big year in his 12th NFL season.

Parker was one of Rivers’ favorite targets in 2006 but missed all of last season with a foot injury. He was unable to participate in mini camp, but Parker should get back on the practice field for the first time in a year at some point during OCS’s.

Young guns

Linebacker Anthony Waters and tight end Scott Chandler were both middle-round draft picks in 2007 but spent most of their rookie year waiting on watching. OCS’s are extremely important for all young players, but these two in particular have an opportunity to benefit the most from what they’ve learned.

With Gates still battling back from toe surgery, Chandler received a lot of snaps with the first team offense alongside Brandon Manumaleuna during mini camp. His 6-7 frame makes him a huge target for Rivers and Chandler could be counted on to provide a big catch this fall.

Waters had first-round talent coming out of college, but a knee injury caused him to fall to the third, where the Chargers gladly scooped him up. He was inactive for all 16 games as a rookie, but now that he’s 100 percent healthy and feeling like his old self, the Bolts believe he’s ready to do some special things.

Both Waters and Chandler will need to contribute on special teams as well, and they’ll have a chance to find those rolls during OCS’s. It could be a big spring for both of them.

2. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    I have become somewhat of a "fan" of Casey's writing style over there at Chargers.com - he and Joel do a bang up job of keeping us hungry fans fed with information on our team! :icon_toast:

3. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Thanks for the great article wrbanwal! :tup:

4. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Grassiass. Reports about Gates's condition and readiness are inconsistent and contradictory.

5. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    • Like Like x 1
  6. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99
    P88f 4 life!

7. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    I like to play a little drinking game every time I read an Ovaries article. I take a shot every time he CAPITALIZES a word. I have yet to make it through an article without being cross eyed drunk. It's the best part about them.

8. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    :abq2: :icon_rofl: :abq1:

So... what's your liquor preference? I want to know which distillery I should buy stock in.

9. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    I am a bourbon man. :yes:

Have a great night everybody!!!! Or as Ovaries would say, "Have a GREAT night!!!!!"

10. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    One guy that I wouldn't keep my eye on is Igor because I can just take it for granted that he flat out sucks :lol: