1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Fixing pass interference calls 15 yards at a time

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    By Clark Judge
    CBSSports.com Senior Writer

would like to thank referee Walt Anderson and his crew for reminding us this week what's wrong with the NFL: the pass-interference penalty. There is no way it should cost anyone more than 15 yards.

It doesn't in college, and it shouldn't in the pros.

But it does, so we have Coleman's crew last Monday walking off nine pass-interference calls for 205 yards, and that's not right. There is no way one penalty should change the outcome of a game, but the pass-interference call can. It can cost you 15 yards. It can cost you 20. It can cost you 30. Or it can cost you 41, as it did Green Bay on Monday, setting up Baltimore's second touchdown.

Somebody please explain.

"They hold us to a higher standard because we're professional athletes," said New York Giants cornerback Terrell Thomas. "If you commit a foul then it's going to cost you."

That I understand. What I don't understand is that if you commit a foul other than pass interference it won't cost you more than 15 yards. Look what happened in last Sunday's Dallas-Giants game: At the end of the first half, Cowboys offensive tackle Flozell Adams belted an unsuspecting Justin Tuck from behind. He was flagged for a personal foul and penalized 15 yards.

Period.

Yes, he later was fined $50,000. He should have been, especially considering his history of -- how shall we put this? -- transgressions. But his team wasn't fined for a cowardly and potentially dangerous hit on Tuck. It was penalized 15 yards, a call the Giants declined.

But let's say Thomas was caught shielding a receiver from the football with his forearm, or the Cowboys' Terence Newman bumped his opponent off a pass. Then what happens? Uh-huh, it could have cost their clubs more, way more, than 15 yards.

It did at the end of the Detroit-Cleveland game last month. There was a pass-interference call in the end zone on what should have been the final play, and the Browns were penalized 31 yards. That extended the contest one snap, and that one snap cost Cleveland a victory. It lost on a 1-yard touchdown pass. Final score: Detroit 38, Cleveland 37.

"You see [pass interference] called more because the NFL is about scoring points," said Cincinnati safety Chris Crocker. "People want to see a lot of points. If the point total was down from the previous year the following year there are going to be a lot of pass interference or illegal contact calls because that will be a point of emphasis. That's just how it is."

That is one man's opinion. It is not mine. I believe you should have a level playing field, and having one call cost you 40 or 50 yards is not what I call equitable -- particularly when that call is what the Giants' Domenik Hixon termed "a judgment decision." Hixon is diplomatic. This is one of those topics where one man's ceiling is another man's floor, with pass interference subject to an official's interpretation. What Coleman's crew may see as pass interference, another may not.

"I have mixed feelings about that rule," said New York Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis. "It makes you much better in your technique [but] it gives the offense and the wide receiver a huge advantage over us. We're mimicking them, yet we don't know where the ball is because our backs are to them. If we went to the college rule offenses wouldn't be scoring that much, and stats wouldn't be as high."

Offenses today score at prodigious rates, with New England averaging 36.8 points per game two years ago and New Orleans averaging 36.7 this season. Quarterbacks are producing 300-yard games at dizzying speed, too, with 82 of them this season -- nearly seven per week. Don't tell me they need pass-interference calls to help pad those numbers because they don't. They're getting there on their own.

There is something else going on: The presumption with pass interference is that the receiver would have caught the ball were he not impeded. But I don't know that that's the case. In fact, I saw Braylon Edwards drop a certain touchdown last week with nobody within 15 yards of him. Three days later, I saw Nate Washington do the same thing after he ran past the Indianapolis secondary.

"Those DBs just have to get their heads around," said Cincinnati receiver Chad Ochocinco. "You get your head around, you don't have to touch [the receiver] at all. If you're very good at locating the ball you don't have to turn your head.

"They use their arms and they hold and they grab and they keep us from catching the ball instead of playing [their positions] the right way. It's cool to feel where the receiver is, but you have to look back for the ball. When you don't that's when the penalty comes in."

So, then, he's OK with, say, a 50-yard penalty?

"At this level, yeah," he said.

I'm not -- especially at this level. Make the rules uniform. If a defensive lineman belts his opponent in the head he is penalized 15 yards. Simple as that. But if a defensive back hand checks a receiver on a deep ball he may or may not get penalized. And if he is, the cost could be 40 or 50 yards. I don't get it. I don't think the NFL does, either, and thank you for reminding us, Walt Anderson.

"It's kind of like a guy driving to the basket," said San Diego coach Norv Turner. "One time he gets hammered, makes the shot and nothing is called. The next time he's barely touched and is going to the foul line for two free throws.

"There are some pass-interference calls you want to be 50-yarders -- say, where the [receiver] is behind the secondary and is pulled down. But there are some that you don't. The problem is: How do you differentiate between the two?"

You don't. You just make the call 15 yards and leave it at that.

What should the penalty be for pass interference calls?

15 yards or spot of the foul

Vote here...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/12647887/fixing-passinterference-calls-15-yards-at-time

2. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    Make it like the old facemask system--contact being 5 yards and a tug being 15.

With PI, contact such as an arm-bar could be 15 and flat-out interference could be the spot of the ball. I disagree with 15 being the ultimate standard, perhaps selfishly, as when VJ goes for a deep ball 35 yards out and someone is on his jersey, I do not want to have to settle for 15 yards after being denied a catch.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Playing devil's advocate...

Isn't the reason the penalty was moved to the point of the foul to prevent DBs from just fouling on purpose to save a deep pass being completed? Would it make it more even of a playing field if a facemask or chop block was marked as half the distance to the goal vs. 15 yards?

I guess it doesn't matter - if the damn refs would just make the right calls it wouldn't be an issue. I know that GB/BAL game was rough but seriously, there were lots of legit PI calls that night. SLOPPY play by the players doesn't make the rule bad... neither does bad officiating.

• Like Like x 1
  4. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    Bottom line, if you have to wait for the decision of a game Official, someone might not like the outcome. If you don’t do it, you won’t get caught. To test the official to see what you can and cannot get away with, once again you might not like the outcome.

5. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    It should be 15 yards. It will make PI easier to call and called more evenly. A PI shouldn't cost a game. Problem is there are a bunch of PI not called then an iffy one will be allowing for FG or TD range.

15 and that is all it gets.

6. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    the difficulty lies with the long play. If they make it a fifteen yard penalty, you might see the defense take more liberty on the deep routes when they know they've been beat. Take the lesser of two evils.

7. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    Ill just take the guy out, all I will get is 15 yards and I know he wont catch it.

This is what a DB will say when he has been beat.

8. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    They still do it. They might do it more, but 15 yards is 15 yards.

You have to assume the WR would of caught the ball there. It assumes a lot of things. By that same logic why don't they make other penalties more yards. Since, according to you, it will stop players from making penalties.

Fact is 15 yards works in college it would work in the NFL. If a DB keeps doing it then they will keep getting flagged since it will be much easier to punish.

9. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    They need to get rid of the illegal contact rule. :yes:

10. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072

I like the fact you punish the guy for pass interference with the ball placed at the spot of the foul.

If you don’t like it, then write a letter to the rules committee.

Its the way Football is supposed to be played.

11. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    15 yards for a standard inadvertant PI foul.

Give the ref discretion to put it at the spot of contact if he thinks it was a guy being taken out in a blatant manner to avoid a sure catch.

• Like Like x 1
  12. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Spot of foul, and relax the rule's like it used to be. The DB should be able to beat the hell out of the Receiver until the ball is in the air, just like it used to be.

If they want to change a rule, make offensive holding a loss of down in addition to the yardage. Defense is hard enough to play without all the extra protection provided to offensive play's over the last 20 - 30 years. It isn't the game I grew up with. :no:

13. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    Yeh thats exactly why!!! I wouldn't want some CB tackling VJ on a 50 yard pass so he couldn't catch it and then only getting 15 yards for what would have gone for a touchdown. Thats why it is an unlimited penalty. They just need to realize that its not interference if the ball is uncatchable and stop making bad calls.

14. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    The big problem I have with the spot of foul placement is it assumed the ball would have been caught. Guys drop balls all the time.

The 15 yard rule certainly seems to work in the college ranks without too many blatant maulings.

For sure they need to keep the hankerchief in the pocket much more though as a first step. Defenders have been neutered of all the tools they need to properly defend the pass so they need a little more leeway and afforded a little more ownership of the passing lanes.

15. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    It's simple just go back to the way it was before they changed the rules. It's not PI until the ball is in the air, remove the illegal contact and five yard BS. Put the game back on equal ground and let the boy's play. Alworth seemed to do pretty good under those rules. If he played under today's rules Rice, would be nothing more than a good receiver.

16. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    this guy is full of crap. You can't make a deep pass PI penalty just a 15 yarder.... DBs will be purposely creating a pass interference every time they're beaten.

What needs to happen is the refs need to be told to stop all those "iffy" calls where the receiver isn't impeded in any way. Touching arms or hands, as long as they aren't grabbed or held, shouldn't be a penalty. The only thing that should be PI is if a receiver can't make a catch because of contact. Illegal use of hands needs to be relaxed, also.

17. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    So what would prevent a defender from full on tackling Vj 60 yards from the LOS before he catches the deep bomb from Rivers, if it only costs him 15 yards...

That is 45 yards he saved...

• Like Like x 1
  18. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Today's game is for the football fan that has to see high scoring affairs. It's sad to watch games where it's against the rules to keep a receiver honest, because they just aren't good enough on their own.

19. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    How often do you see that happen in college ball? Doesn't seem like a big problem there.

On a 60 yarder there is a pretty decent chance the guy won't catch it anyways.

20. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    You are assuming I watch College ball...

21. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    Although I am against the 15-yard PI as the new standard, there was a terrible PI call today against the Panthers against the Pats that resulted in 30 free yards and a touchdown from what was impeccable coverage.

The problem is not the rule itself, but its enforcers. :no:

22. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    It was sure nice to have that pass interference for like 30 yards on the Cowboys when Rivers threw from the wild cat!

23. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    There were two others that SHOULD HAVE been called that weren't though.

24. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    I thought there were more then 2

25. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    The one on Floyd prior to the pick should have been called...even my buddy who's a Cowpie fan agreed on that one.

26. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    I'm sure there were, but I remember two costly ones. The one the play before the Rivers INT where M80 was run right over. Then the one they deemed uncatchable when it was mere inches from his hands.

27. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    Yeh. They need instant replay and challenge for penalties or lack thereof. They make a huge impact but can't even be reviewd@