1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Florence earns Turner’s praise

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Dec 21, 2007.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Friday, Dec 21, 2007
    By Casey Pearce, Chargers.com

On Thursday afternoon, a reporter sat at Drayton Florence’s locker and asked him about the team’s focus as they wind down the regular season and prepare for their second-consecutive trip to the playoffs.

“We just can’t look too far ahead,” Florence said. “We’ve got to stay focused and worry about the job at hand.”

While he was talking about the team’s approach to the final weeks of the season, Florence could have been talking about his own personal situation. This week, coaches and teammates praised the fifth-year cornerback for the way that he’s gone about his business during a situation that Florence admits hasn’t been easy on him.

After becoming a full-time starter midway through the 2004 season, Florence became the team’s third cornerback this year after Antonio Cromartie emerged and unseated him. In addition to seeing his playing time decrease, Florence is in the final year of his contract. Still, Florence has stayed focused on the task at hand and has done everything possible to help his team win.

“It’s been tough,” Florence said. “I want to be out there all the time, but you still have to be a professional and do your job. I’ve got to make the most of what I get. I feel like I’m doing that, but I still feel like I could do more.”

Though disappointed about being in a situation that might lead others to pout and be less productive, Florence has done quite the opposite.

“I can’t say enough about Drayton and the way he’s responded,” Head Coach Norv Turner said. “I’ve been around guys that lose their position. They think they should be the guy and they go in the tank. It has a negative affect. That hasn’t been the case with Drayton at all. He’s worked hard and continued to play at a high level.”

Florence’s teammates have been equally impressed with the way Florence has gone about his business.

“A guy is used to starting and has been starting,” safety Clinton Hart said. “Cromartie makes some plays. How do you not play a guy like Cro when he’s playing that well? Drayton has done a remarkable job handling it. He’s been a real professional about it. At first I didn’t expect it. I didn’t know how he would handle it, but he’s done a great job.”

Because so many teams try to spread the Chargers out with multiple-receiver sets, Florence still receives plenty of snaps each game. When the Bolts go to their nickel defense, they put three starting-caliber cornerbacks on the field together, a rare luxury in the NFL.

“The fact that we have three guys that can cover makes a big difference for us,” Turner said. “Drayton is very, very good in the slot. He does a great job preparing to play. He knows what routes to anticipate by formations, by shifts, by movements. He plays them extremely well. He’s tackled extremely well in the slot. We play more nickel than most people. He’s just performed at a real high level.”

Florence said he’s enjoyed being part of a secondary that leads the NFL with 27 interceptions. Prior to last Sunday’s 51-14 win over Detroit, they’d held five of their last six opponents under 200 yards passing and were playing as well as they had at any point during Florence’s five seasons in San Diego.

“It’s been fun to be a part of this defense and watch us come together,” Florence said. “We didn’t start like we wanted to, but we feel like we’re peaking at the right time. Last week, that was a good offense we were playing in Detroit. We made a lot of plays on them. Everybody is playing well when we need them to. I know I’ve got a role in that.”

Hart credits secondary coaches Bill Bradley and Kevin Ross for their ability to keep the group on the same page and clearly define each player’s role. Florence understands that he’s one snap away from being back in the starting lineup, and even if he’s not, his skills in the slot will be crucial to the team’s success in January.

“It’s going to be important for us to all be on the same page and playing well, especially me,” Florence said. “I’m going to get a lot more opportunities because most of the teams in the playoffs like to throw it around. I’ll be ready for them, just like I always have."

2. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    PR spin. Florence has regressed. But would I prefer not to have him as the 3rd CB?, not sure.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    GTFO out of SD you dirty *** player Florence, you falling down in the backfield, no covering idiot.

• Like Like x 1
  4. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    It's interesting that Casey had no comment on how Olivea has handled a very similar situation. It's good to hear that Drayton is being a pro about it. Shane on the other hand....

5. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    That's cold bro. This article shows me something about Drayton that I didn't know he had. He's handling his business with class. Give him some props.

6. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Fuk him, he's not classy, he's a douchebag. He can't cover anyone plus he's always getting dumbass penalties for his post play cheap shots on opponents. I can't wait for that assburglar to have to go play for some ****** team next year. He's a retard and CLEARLY since he's been out of the starting lineup our pass D has been SOLID. Suddenly Jammer doesn't look so bad to me anymore, now that the TRUE weakest link on the D has been put on the bench.

DFlo can KMA and SMD.

7. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820

Are you on an all night bender? :icon_eek:

8. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    stuck @ work and sick of infomercials and news anchors crying about people not shopping or britney's stupid knocked up sister :mad:

9. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    Since I find you here this morning in such rare form, would you care to share your thoughts with me about one Clinton Hart. :yes:

10. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Hart?

*looks around for Tony*

I don't know what to make of Hart. He makes big plays and gives them up as well. I guess if you're gonna get burned you'd better be getting some INTs. He's just too inconsistent for my taste.

Now what you should have asked was what i thought about McCree, but since you didn't, I'll tell you anyways. ******* needs to stop trying to decapitate people and learn how to wrap up. You'd think after playing for a few years with a textbook anklebiter like Donnie (who BTW tried diving @ some dude's ankles last week completely whiffed when the dude simply high stepped past Donnie's stupid *** who was just lying there on the ground like the idiot he is) EVEYONE on the team would at least know how to wrap up dude's legs, but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Not Marlon. Instead of making drive stopping tackles he's trying to make highlight reels with his hits. Sure, every once in a while he'll knock a dude on his *** and everyone will go Ooooooo, but I'd wager 80% of the time he completely WHIFFS and a 5 yard play goes for 20. He's dogshit as well and I can't wait for Norv to finally suck it up and have some faith in Weddle, who IMO is gonna be the second best secondary player we've got after Cromagnon.

11. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    :icon_eek: - I must be dreaming. :icon_eek:

12. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I have seen the error of my Jammer hating ways. Granted, I'm still not as high on him as some are, I do however realize he's a very solid corner (and I believe he's be a pro bowl safety if he'd just swallow his pride and move) when he's got someone capable of coverage on the other side. At the same time, Cro's recent play sorta solidifies my feelings on Jammer, he will never be a Pro Bowl corner, he doesn't have the ball awareness that guys like Cro do, and that's something that can't be taught. Still, I stand behind what I said.

Florence can eat ****.

13. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    The same way you are starting to "like" Jammer or not see him in such a bad light is probably more appropriately put, you will see the same in Hart. He is second to Cro in INT's.

I think too many fans are way off base on McCree. Way off.

**** will happen to the FS as part of the game and everyone should expect it because I do and it is no where close to Jerry Wilson's play.

Dude having a down year would be my boy McNeill but I am not ready to declare him a bust as a few in here have done.

McCree will be fine.

14. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    O My, that dood is a liability in coverage...:yes:

15. 400HZ

400HZ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    I'm surprised that Florence sucked so bad this year. He was playing pretty decent the 2nd half of last year, plus he was heading into a contract season. I figured he'd give us a decent final year. Wrong!

16. timepiece33

timepiece33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25
    In the end, Cromartie's emergence has been one of three changes that has played fairly large in the equation of our improvement

1. Antonio Cromartie
    2. Chris Chambers
    3. Jeromey Clary

Still concerned a little bit about our inconsistency, but I like what I've seen the past two weeks.

17. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I don't know. He has regressed from last year, from what I remember. He's not an effective tackler, considering he's at safety. Weddle has better instincts already than guys with more experience. He has more to offer than McCree at this point.

18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    McCree, Hart, & DFlo can all go to Miami. :icon_tease:

For all 3 we might get a 3rd rounder. :lol:

19. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    DFlo is probably gone. McCree is replaceable more than Hart. All three gone in one swell foop would make us a tad thin. Cro, Jammer and Weddle are three stars of our future, Hart is a journeyman who does bring his lunch pale. If Oliver emerges next season, then Hart is quality depth, if either Oly or Jammer move into the safety slot.

20. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Draft Brandon Flowers!! :tup:

21. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    We picked up Oliver in the supplemental, and don't have a two at this point and I'm not even sure we have a three unless we get a supplemental for lost FA's. Like to have the luxury of drafting someone like that, but I think Fat Boys are #1 on the draft board. If we trade our # 1 for high picks in the next two rounds, we might be able to accommodate both positions. If we go deep into the playoffs, choices in the top of the next two rounds won't be a bad deal. Question is, how many teams with lousy records want to sacrifice multiple choices for one better one? The Fish and the Jets are messes that have multiple needs, so that leaves the Bungles or the Ravens. Don't fancy dealing within the division, especially since I would pee on the Raiduhs if they were on fire and Kansas City seems to draft too well to risk giving them another #1. If one of the four worst in the NFC want to deal, that would be cool. If Nix goes to Atlanta, maybe AJ and he can do business.

22. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    good point. when you TRY to make a big hit, you end up getting penalties and you hurt ur team. now, what mccree should be doing is tackling with form. THATS where the big hits come from, thats how u put someone on their back. when he figures that out, hell automatically become a better player.

23. OverVolt

OverVolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18

And I agree, as much as he helped lose the playoff game last year, perhaps he's making up for PART of it this year.
    As glad as I am that Cro took his starting job, I'm glad he's able to work with being the nickel back...because we're going to need him real bad in the playoffs. Every team we face can throw two or three good WR's at us (Pat's) or a combo of WR's and a TE. (Cleveland, Indy)
    D Flo will need to keep his head about him, he WILL be needed very much in the playoff run.