1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Floyd adds another dimension

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

With Vincent Jackson out last week against the Redskins and Antonio Gates playing just a half, another Chargers pass-catcher shone bright.

In Sunday’s regular-season finale, the Chargers were able to maintain momentum with a win going into the playoffs while resting many of their starters. Following the game, Head Coach Norv Turner pointed out one of his newest starters had the best game of his career in the win.
    With Malcom Floyd[​IMG]’s best statistical day of his career (nine receptions for 140 yards), Turner believes future opponents saw that San Diego’s passing game extends much further than Antonio Gates[​IMG] and Vincent Jackson[​IMG], the team’s top two receivers.
    “It’s another look,” Turner said. “When people look at us and say, ‘Well, their leading receivers are Gates and Vincent; but this guy caught nine in the last game.’”
    Floyd received more opportunities last week with Legedu Naanee[​IMG] and Jackson sidelined and Gates playing just two series, and he took full advantage of the increased number of balls that came his way.
    “It was a lot of fun for me,” Floyd said of the regular-season finale. “This whole season has been a lot of fun for me, getting to be a bigger part of things. My whole time here I’ve been a big team guy so whether I’m making a catch or I’m helping another guy make one, I’ll be just as happy.”
    This season, Floyd posted career highs in receptions (45) and receiving yards (776). He joked Sunday that when it comes to getting into the end zone he’s cursed, having just one touchdown catch on the year. But his big-play presence is nothing to laugh about.
    Like Jackson, Floyd averaged 17.2 yards per catch. Among players with at least 45 catches this season, Jackson and Floyd were tied for second in the NFL in yards per catch, trailing only Philadelphia’s Desean Jackson.
    “Our coaches have done a great job of putting us in position to make plays,” Floyd said. “When I’ve gotten chances to make them, I’ve been fortunate that I’ve been able to. Hopefully I can keep it up now that the postseason is here because this is when things really become important.”
    Healing up
    The Chargers won’t be required to issue an injury report until next Wednesday, so Turner didn’t confirm players who did or didn’t participate in Thursday’s practice. He did, however, sound very optimistic about the health status of his team for next weekend’s divisional playoff game.
    “We’re making progress from an injury standpoint,” Turner said. “I really do expect all of our guys to be ready to go and go full speed when we start on Wednesday.”
    Like he did Wednesday, Turner ran a shorter practice than normal Thursday but lauded the focus of his players and was pleased with what they accomplished.
    “We probably went about 15 minutes less but I thought we got great work,” Turner said. “We got great work in the red zone, goal line, backed up, some situations like third downs.”
    Another adjustment this week: the Chargers aren’t doing any work in pads and Turner has dismissed them immediately following practice rather than holding meetings like they do in a normal game week.

2. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Two receivers that averaged over 17 yards per catch. That's really impressive. Add Gates 14 yards per catch from the TE spot and you have a truly explosive team.

3. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    I hope that VJ and floyd come back or that if flloyd leaves we get a 3rr and 1st rounder for him from raven!

4. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    Norv and Philip helped make VJ and Floyd. They know a good thing they got in Bolt Town. :yes:

5. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    in all honesty, i think we need to secure floyd and vjax this offseason. we are a pass first team.