1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Floyd dazzles

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

By Christopher Smith, Chargers.com
    Posted 28 minutes ago
    8-2-2010

The 6-foot-5 receiver made several remarkable catches Sunday. He calls it luck. Philip Rivers isn’t so sure.

SAN DIEGO – Reviewing a photo sequence of Malcom Floyd’s catches during Sunday night’s practice provides a question rather than an answer.
    Double teamed, hands jostling his helmet and ripping at the football, a wide grin stretches across Floyd’s face.
    The next frame reveals the ball hovering in the air, coveted by six eyes. Then three players staring as the football rests in Floyd’s grasp.
    How did he catch that?
    “Some of those catches yesterday, I really don’t know how I came down with them,” Floyd said.
    Don’t buy the aw, shucks routine, his quarterback cautioned.
    “Malcom got lucky again, as we say in the locker room,” Philip Rivers said. “He’s so humble about it, saying he got lucky, but he seems to get lucky like that every day.
    “Unbelievable talent playing the ball. When it’s up in the air, he thinks it’s his. The play’s never dead until the ball’s on the ground or in his hands. As a quarterback, it certainly gives you the confidence to keep throwing them when you see him in those positions.”
    Nicknamed M-80, the 6-foot-5 receiver enjoyed the best season of his career last year, catching 45 passes for 776 yards. He’s primed to start and seeks even better numbers beginning with the Sept. 13 season opener at Kansas City.
    “It’s something he’s been doing his entire career,” Head Coach Norv Turner said. “People got to see a lot more of it last year because he was a starter for nine weeks. I’d much rather see him catch the ball on the move and
    about chest high and clean, but it doesn’t always work out that way. He makes a spectacular catch every day.”
    That gives Rivers the aforementioned confidence to throw deep downfield into coverage, knowing Floyd has a high likelihood of catching the ball in traffic. He towers above most NFL cornerbacks and has good jumping ability, a mismatch difficult for defenses to counteract.
    “I think that’s one of my strengths is to jump off two feet and attack the ball (in a crowd),” Floyd said. “You’re really trying to focus on the ball and track the ball as well as feel for other guys around you. Try and get good body position, similar to basketball. Gates goes out there and boxes out linebackers. It’s kind of the same mentality. You just carry it over to football.”
    The final frame: Quentin Jammer squints into the sunlight, hands still outstretched. It’s a stretch to categorize his face as perplexed, but it would be acceptable if he was. The veteran Chargers cornerback skied with Floyd for the catch, clasped his hands around the football in midair and managed to dislodge it on the way to the ground. The combination of eye-hand coordination and athleticism required to make the play explains why Jammer has started 110 games since 2003.
    But there’s Floyd, cradling the ball to his chest while his right elbow absorbs the ground.
    As the axiom goes, sometimes you create your own luck.

2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Vincent who?

Malcom looked great on Friday and made a couple WTF catches including a bomb from PR for a TD. Some people are gonna be surprised, others (most Bolt fans) have known about this dude for a while and are thrilled to see him get his shot.

3. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Even without Jackson we still have a deep threat.

Plus Gates, Mathews, Sproles etc.

Have fun touching yourself on the couch VJ.

4. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    I've been well aware of this since the 06 season. Cincy sold his talent.

5. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    THIS.

Also I cant ever praise our WR core enuff wout also praising the hiring of Charlie Joiner to give VJ that direction. Also didnt do too bad with our other receivers. CBD of course has to help himself.

Im still a bigger Legs fan than any other active WR on the roster. Gates not included.

I cant frickin wait for SEPT 13!! Goin to the heart of Cheifdom for first ever NFL game! My luck im tellin ya I would have gone to KCvsTB if that was KCs home openere this year, but thank the Football god it wasnt!! Owell we gonna lose this game for crazy still unseen by me even reasons.

I kno it wont be a sinkhole, Hocculi, faulty rival review booth, or even a blackout. But yea whatever it is its gonna be jus frickin BScake.

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    The guy is a pimp when it comes to tossing it up and coming down with the ball. He will surprise and astonish alot of people who are napping on the Chargers deep threat

7. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +280
    My concern isn't who our primary or secondary receiver will be, it's who will be our third and fourth in all honesty. Even still it's not that much of a concern with a revamped running game.

8. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    -VJ of course

1. Floyd
    2. Naanee
    3. Davis
    4. Reed
    5. Ajirotutu

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931

Floyd
    Naane/Davis
    Naane/Davis (winner is #2, loser in the slot)
    Jeremy Williams/Seji Ajirotutu (I think)/Gary Banks will probably fill out the 4-5 spots, they're looking impressive enough. If not then might see about getting someone on waiver wire

Don't really think Josh reed will stick

10. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +280
    That's the same list I've comprised, it's not who will fill the spot, but rather who will sufficiently fill the spot.

11. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    How I would like to see it work out.
    Sorry Reed. Maybe the PS will keep you around like it did for Banks.

12. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Reed cannot go to the practice squad.

13. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    I "heard" somewhere, that Williams has a bad Rotator cuff, have you seen/heard this?

14. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Yea jus saw Reed is a Vet didnt realize.

This a good read, but was mainly siting the Banks part.

http://www.nfl.com/trainingcamp/sto...ide-bolts-go-about-business-minus-other-stars

» Veteran Josh Reed, two-time practice squad player Gary Banks, and undrafted rookies Jeremy Williams (Tulane) and Seyi Ajirotutu (Fresno State) are front-runners for the final wide receiver jobs. Williams entered camp as a player on the rise, but Banks "has distinguished himself," offensive coordinator Clarence Shelmon said. Banks made a beautiful over-the-shoulder catch on a deep ball with cornerback Traye Simmons hanging all over him and snagged multiple balls thrown his way. Of the receivers on the back end, Banks caught far more passes and seems to have the trust of the quarterbacks.

SURPRISE, SURPRISE

FB Mike Tolbert is blowing coaches away with his ability to also play tailback and catch the ball. At 5-9, 243 pounds, Tolbert is a bowling-ball lead blocker who has made plays when he's received touches. The third-year pro averaged 5.9 yards on 25 carries last season, but Turner said Tolbert's role could expand some because of his big-play potential that accompanies a punishing style of play. With rookie Ryan Mathews out, Tolbert worked his way into the tailback rotation with Darren Sproles, and if not for Tolbert's obvious size advantage, it wasn't always easy to tell them apart with the ball in their hands during Saturday's non-contact workouts. Tolbert was held out of the first day of contact drills with a minor, undisclosed injury.

Were lookin primed for a real __ push but I wont say it this year.