1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Floyd expands repertoire

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    WR adds value on special teams

By Kevin Acee

UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

August 24, 2008

Norv Turner has made a point to compliment receiver Malcom Floyd repeatedly this training camp.
    But to what avail? Do the Chargers still really need a No. 5 receiver who is never active on Sundays, no matter how sure-handed and elegant?
    The answer is no. But fortunately for Floyd, that is not all he is anymore. Floyd has ascended to be a gunner on the Chargers' No. 1 punt coverage team and is working his way up the depth chart on both kickoff teams. On the roster all last season, Floyd was not active the final 10 weeks or in the postseason because of his inability to contribute on special teams. “I've got to find that niche somewhere,” Floyd said. “You aren't going to be on the field unless you play special teams.”

So as Turner and his staff attempt to winnow down the roster – the first cut of five players is Tuesday, the last cut of 22 on Saturday – it appears Floyd has worked his way into the final 53.
    Elsewhere, Turner must consider the makeup of the offensive line and an abundance of linebackers. It is generally accepted there are five or six players vying for the final three or four roster spots.
    “People think I'm locked in,” Turner said. “There are a lot of places I'm not locked in.”
    Who's the FB?

Andrew Pinnock worked more in yesterday's practice than he has since coming off the physically unable to perform (PUP) list on Aug. 6.

“Today was the first day I felt really quick out of my stance,” said Pinnock, who had microfracture surgery on his left knee in February.
    Pinnock said a decision on whether he makes his preseason debut tomorrow is yet to be made.
    Yesterday, Pinnock and rookie Mike Tolbert both took reps with the first team. Asked this week who his starting fullback was, Turner said, “Right now we only have one healthy one, so I can't answer that.”
    Sproles never stops

Turner said early Monday afternoon that he thought Darren Sproles would miss a couple of days of practice with a bruised knee.

A few hours later, out on the practice field, Sproles was running around as if nothing happened.
    Whether subconsciously or not, at 5 feet 6, 180 pounds, having always had to continually show his worth, Sproles won't stop fighting.
    He acknowledges that this training camp is different than the summer of 2007, when he was fighting for a roster spot after spending the previous season on injured reserve. After a season in which he scored two return touchdowns, two touchdowns from scrimmage, plus another 57-yard touchdown play in the playoffs, Sproles earned incentives that bumped his salary to $1.2 million for '08.
    But even now, after showing his worth as one of the league's top kick returners and as a viable option from scrimmage, Sproles maintains a healthy motivation. Sproles' belief now is that people doubt his ability to be a No. 2 running back.
    “You still have to prove yourself every year,” he said. “I'm always going to have to prove myself.”
    Nuts 'n' Bolts

[​IMG] Tomorrow's exhibition game against the Seattle Seahawks at Qualcomm Stadium figures to be the closest thing to the real deal for the Chargers this preseason, with Turner planning to play most starters into the third quarter. Said Turner: “I like . . . our guys having that feeling of coming out of the locker room at halftime. We played some awfully good football (last year) at the start of the second half in all three phases, and we'd like to continue that.” The Chargers led the league with nine touchdowns in their first possession of the second half last season. They allowed just four scores in their opponents' first second-half possession, tied for fourth-fewest.
    [​IMG] Shaun Phillips (foot) and Scott Mruczkowski (foot) returned to practice.

2. Osmekaman

Osmekaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +31
    After almost everyone counted the big man out, it seems as though Malcolm has woken up and smelled the coffee.
    This team is going all the way and you want to do everything you can to stay on the Bolt Express.

3. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    I've always been a big Malcom fan (he was my adopted Bolt in 06), remember when he came up real big against the Bengals.

Like our Scottish brother said I'm glad to see he appears to be trying to stick via special teams. If you are the number 5 wideout at best u had better be doing something somewhere else.

If (God forbid) Chambers or VJ (v possible in VJs case) were to go down, it'd be nice to have someone like Malcom ready to step in alongside Legs and Buster. :tup:

4. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    I've always liked Floyd too. He teases with flashes of brilliance at camp, but just hasn't broken through. I'm glad to see that he's working hard to stick via special teams instead of whining about his lack of catches.

5. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Trevor Gaylor did the same thing! :icon_tease:

6. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I've liked Floyd from the first, but I was getting a little nervous about his future on the roster. Glad to see he has stepped up on special teams. I figure he'll be back to haunt us like some others once we let him go.

7. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    I'm a big Floydaholic. I see a future for him here in SD and taking on special teams duties is important. I still remember that Bengals game a few years ago... sweet!

8. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    This guy is still on the team?

9. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    I, too, have been a Floyd fan since he got here. His big grab on the two pointer monday night is typical of what he can do and why we need him. I think he's as big a weapon inside the ten yard line as any receiver we have. Just look to the AFC championship game last year and realize that we stunk inside the red zone. We need to come up with ways to use this big guy to go up and make the kind of grab he did on monday night. That defender was hanging all over him and he just went up and got it. This guy catches anything that's catchable.