1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Floyd was close to going on the IR

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by DenverBolt67, Nov 11, 2010.

1. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Malcom Floyd thought his season was over four Sundays ago in St. Louis. The Chargers top receiver injured his hamstring late in a 20-17 loss to the Rams, tearing the muscle so severely that he thought the team wouldn't let him continue with a career year.

Long snapper David Binn suffered a similar injury in the season opener and linebacker Antwan Applewhite tore his hamstring early in 2009. The Chargers put both players on injured reserve.

"When I first popped it, I knew I was in big trouble," Floyd said after Wednesday's practice. "I thought for sure they were going to put me on IR. They told me how bad it was, and while they said it wasn't as bad as Dave Binn's tear; the percentage of the muscle that got torn was pretty close. It was almost completely off the bone."

That was a terrible turn for Floyd. He had 213 receiving yards the week before, helping establish his status as a true go-to receiver. Floyd had proved himself a reliable No. 1 threat, able to produce despite a steady dose double teams.

The injury was a setback, but it wasn't a death blow. The Chargers were patient with the injury, and Floyd is on the cusp of returning to action. Floyd has tested the hamstring with speed work, quick cuts and change-of-direction drills. So far, Floyd hasn't had any setbacks.

He didn't rush the rehab process, waiting for the muscle to heal before pushing himself. Now he's on schedule to return Nov. 22 against Denver and continue a season so close to ending early.

"They gave me a four-to-six week rehab, and this game was a target date," Floyd said. "I wanted to come back earlier, but this is something you just can't rush. Another setback and I could've been done for the year. I didn't want to be in that boat."

Link

2. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    He better not get hurt anymore or Tu-Tu is gonna Take-Take his spot on the roster!

3. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,418
    maybe his injury prone status will allow us to keep him cheap next year and he can be a part time assasain that comes in every so often (when he's not injured) to make the passing game that much stronger.

4. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    If this was a Grade 3 (severe) tear we will need to watch this closely. I did the same thing playing hockey back in March and was not right for nearly 4 months (and by no means is beer league hockey as demanding as the NFL).

5. gettough

gettough BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    If Gates is ready to go against Denver November 22, I would sit Floyd until the middle of December, what with Jackson returning against Indianapolis November 28.

6. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    I have already expected that he would come cheap due to injury concerns. If he doesnt, he as as file 13 as VJ and 56.

7. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,418
    He might have had an argument had he made it through this season healthy and had a great year as our #1.

But that's already not the case.

8. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Very true and I was holding out hope he would. Course been holding out same hope that LEGS would not turn out to be IP as well. Still got more optimism that Legs will overcome the stigma over M80.

Also as long as we have Joiner on board, we are gonna have some good-great receivers. And of course we know the goods will be only greats in the making.

9. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I don't recall Floyd being excessively injury prone. I don't think he gets the kind of money that a Randy Moss or a Calvin Johnson might rate, but he is due for a decent contract. I've been in his corner since he was drafted.

10. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Well he did have that bout with a Collapsed lung after being landed on by a LBer. That to me is a injury you deffinatly dont see often, but seems to me was deffinatly a warning sign of something. As prepared as I have made myself for the inevitable departure of VJ even before his drunkard fine was passed down, I am also just as ready to sever ties to M80.

11. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,418
    He's been injured practically every year we've had him. :lol:

He never played a full 16 games until last year.

12. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    That's why we need Jackson, or at least another reason why.

13. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    AJ has a track record of drafting injury prone players. :D

14. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    just about every team has that problem.

15. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,418
    The rest of the WRs seem to be doing just fine. :icon_shrug:

16. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    But it has to be AJ's fault. :p

17. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    If AJ could take the success he has had with undrafted players, and match it with high draft picks, this team would be much better off

18. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    Blame AJ? I thought it was still popular to blame everything on George Bush?