1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Floyd's decision coming today

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,406
    Floyd a possibility, time getting short
    Written by
    Kevin Acee

Several people close to Malcom Floyd say time is of the essence to the free agent wide receiver who is, somewhat surprisingly, still on the market.

Floyd wants to be in a camp by Thursday, when other veteran free agents who have signed since the new CBA settlement can begin participating in practices.

The Chargers and Floyd remain in communication, but it still seems more likely he ends up elsewhere (Baltimore, Arizona, Carolina or Seattle, among others).

A source close to Floyd said "the hope" is to "sift through" the structure of various offers and potential fits for Floyd by the end of Wednesday. However, the source said, that might not be possible.

Significant deals with receivers have ceased. Numerous people have said in recent days that teams still in need of receivers are trying to make a deal for Braylon Edwards before moving to Floyd.

The Chargers have interest in bringing back the acrobatic receiver who has caught 82 passes for 1,493 yards the past three seasons. And Floyd is comfortable in their offense and locker room and would absolutely love to stay. But the player who had to wait two extra years for unrestricted free agency due to injury and then the labor mess, can almost certainly get more money elsewhere. He also would likely be a bigger part of another team's offense.

While they would like to (and probably will at some point before the trade deadline) add a veteran receiver, the Chargers are comfortable going forward with Vincent Jackson, Patrick Crayton, Vincent Brown, Kelly Washington and Seyi Ajirotutu.

The average per-year price has dropped all around the league for Floyd and other receivers, but it needs to get below $3 million for the Chargers to bring Floyd back.

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Goddamn it AJ - sign him. He's worked his *** off here & deserves a long-term deal.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,406
  4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Yeah I read that Braylon was taking his act all over the US.

5. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    I really hope we resign him to a nice deal, he deserves it. I think he is more valuable to this team than we really know.

6. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,406
    If it wasn't for his injury history, somebody would've snapped him up right away.

7. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    Looks like Malcom's ship has sailed for the Chargers. They just signed Laurent Robinson from the Rams.

8. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,406
    Another injury prone WR...... great pickup. ;)

9. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Yea M80 is about to get 86'ed.

10. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
  11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    What BS. Nice job - way to take care of a player who has busted his *** for this club.

12. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    Agree that this is a piss poor way to go for Floyd, he couldn't have wanted that much money to sign long term

13. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,406
    Really? He's 30..... this is his one shot to cash in. Team loyalty only goes so far, on both sides.

14. MadMike

Ratings:
    +504
    Guess it comes down to malcom wanting 4+ million a year and us wanting a 2 million dollar receiver. We may have a little more room this year but all these contracts still have to be paid next year as well and we have people to sign then too. Can't blow your wad all in one year. This isnt baseball where you can conceivably buy a title.

15. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Word. And Floyd is not a 4+ mil a year guy. At least not yet.

16. MadMike

Ratings:
    +504
    Yep gotta break 50 catches a season to be worth 4 million. Just saying, health plays into your contract and Malcom has never been the model of health. Dude make beautiful catches and uses his body well. Love him but can't afford him. And sorry but I am way more concerned about the lack of a second veteran ILB then I am about our WRs.

17. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,406
    Robinson in, Floyd closer to out
    Written by
    Kevin Acee

In some ways, the signing of Laurent Robinson has nothing to do with the status of Malcom Floyd, in that Robinson is not the equivalent of Floyd and Robinson's arrival does not eliminate Floyd as possibility in San Diego.

In other ways, it has a lot to do with Floyd, as it seems the acrobatic receiver is on his way out of town and the Chargers needed another experienced receiver.

There are still other teams on the line, but the Baltimore Ravens appear to be the leader to acquire Floyd. The Ravens made Floyd an offer late Monday night that tops the $3 million per year that is the Chargers' ceiling.

Robinson comes to San Diego with a chance to be the No. 4 receiver and with a $685,000 price tag on a one-year deal.

The oft-injured Robinson was a third-round pick of the Atlanta Falcons in 2007. He was traded to the St. Louis Rams in 2008.

Robinson finished 2008 on injured reserve with a hamstring injury. A broken fibula caused him to spend the bulk of the 2009 season on IR. He caught 34 passes for 344 yards in 2010 and has 89 receptions for 1,000 yards in 38 career games.

He will likely fit in the Chargers' wide receiver rotation somewhere after the top three of Vincent Jackson, Patrick Crayton and Vincent Brown -- battling Kelley Washington and Seyi Ajirotutu for time.

In Baltimore, Floyd would be reunited with former Chargers offensive coordinator Cam Cameron.

18. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Damn so still no word on his decision. ;/ Hurry up and sign with BAL, that would prob be ur best fit. Or go be with the other SD castoffs in Seattle. Im sure I wont be the only Charger fan that is happy to watch what M80 can do with another opportunity.

19. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Oh, I'm happy for Malcom where ever he goes as long as it's not to Oakland. I'm rooting for him, it's just much more tidy if he's sporting bolts on his helmet.

20. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    I'd love to see M80 re-sign. He earned it last year with VJ out.

But if the price ain't right, I understand.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    I guess the money is better in Balteemore...

22. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    3mil/yr + multiple years over a 1 yr 2 mil deal? Yeah it is better in Baltimore

Thanks for everything Floyd, good luck except for when we play you

23. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +503
    Are u saying he has signed a 1 yr 2 mil deal with the Ravens?.

24. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +268
    No he is saying he signed a multi year deal worth $3mil/yr. We were only offering 1 year at $2mil.

25. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    I don't want to sound totally cold, but some of this "he earned it last year" talk is pretty baseless. Yes, he showed up and played on an RFA tender last season when Jackson did not. Jackson's also 3x (and that's lowballing it in my estimation) the receiver that Floyd is. Malcom couldn't go through a season without missing time for injury.

Also, as much as everyone wants a two high-level receivers set, I'm not sure how realistic it is. Unless that receiver is willing to take a cut in terms of targets and money, it simply isn't going to happen. Gates is still going to be the primary target so long as he's viable. Jackson, so long as he's here, will be the second option. Look across the league, very few teams with elite TE's have two top-rung WR's as well - and those that do, only really do because they drafted the 2nd receiver (see Dallas; and that's assuming Bryant shows the consistency to be a top-rung WR).

As others have touched on, the passing game is the least of our worries. Rivers could roll out there with the SDSU practice squad receivers and still be productive. Yes, it sucks losing a guy we had high hopes for in terms of his unrealized potential, but we knew we weren't going to be able to keep all of our free agents.

26. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    So? This is not two hand touch. This is the NFL. Injuries are actually common place.

27. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Eat
    Eat his CHARGERS contract, biatch.

28. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    glad we re-signed him. A smart and good move AJ.