1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Focused and Ferocious

Discussion in 'Latest Chargers News & Headlines' started by robdog, Dec 19, 2005.

1. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +268
    Source: <a href="http://www.chargers.com/news/headline_detail.cfm?news_key=2485" target="_blank">Chargers.com</a>

By Josh Lewin

Focused and ferocious, the Chargers took the field in Indianapolis last Sunday like a fleet of Yosemite Sams. Remember the cartoon gunslinger from your Saturday morning Bugs Bunny days? He was, to hear it told, "the rootinest, tootinest bobtailed wildcat north, south east or west of the Pecos," who billed himself as a "walking keg of dynamite." I loved that Yosemite Sam attitude with which the Chargers swaggered into the RCA Dome. You could almost hear Michael Turner calling the Colts a bunch of "flea-bitten varmints" as he motored past them and into the end zone to seal one of the great road wins in Charger history. (Cue the music: "Takin' care of business- Michael Turner, overdrive.")

Thanks to Turner's mad dash and Nate Keading's four-for-four field goal day, the Chargers are back where they need to be; looking at a chance to go 11-and-5 and be playing the 2005 season into 2006.

Here's the thing, though – although 11-and-5 is a distinct possibility, so is watching the playoffs on TV despite that sparkling record. To date, no team has ever failed to make the post-season with 11 wins- but incredibly, the Bolts could be charter members of that yet-to-be-opened fraternity. Yep -- if the Chargers win out and lock up number 11, they still need help from one of four teams that are (as Joe Namath said to Suzy Kolber on the sidelines) "strug-g-ling."

The somewhat charmed Jaguars finish with the two-win Texans and the Tennessee Titans. The re-energized Steelers finish at the Browns and then home against Detroit. Ah, Detroit- the ultimate goal; the site of Super Bowl XL. But despite the great win at Indy, the Chargers face an XL-sized challenge to even get in the mix. They need either the Texans, Titans, Browns or Lions to step up and pull off an upset. Hey, anything's possible, as Billy Joel's marriage to Christie Brinkley once taught us.

The shopworn cliché about only controlling the game in which you're playing applies- but it sure will be tough not to be hunkering down in the TV room the next couple of Sundays wearing Tennessee Titans earmuffs over a Cleveland Browns hat while trying not to spill Houston Texans-brand nachos on my brand new Lions area rug. (Man, all of this is tough for a guy with ADD issues. My doctor told me there are pills I can take for ADD, blah blah blah- I didn't really pay attention to the rest. Hey, a lamp!)

Anyway, I'd rather the fellas on the field maintain their focus – the author of this article's a lost cause. The Chargers' focus this past Sunday was palpable; kudos to the coaching staff for helping them spit out the sour taste of the loss to Miami. Focus and ferocity were just two of the f-words I heard uttered in Indianapolis this past Sunday- the third one will not be repeated, but a lot of Colts fans were muttering it after Michael Turner's dash to glory.

Focus and ferocity: You could see it in the icy glare of man-beast Shawne Merriman every time Peyton Manning began those audibles that lasted longer than the movie "Spartacus." Merriman's daylong harassment of a Manning was evident when young Eli took the field way back in September. Flash forward to older brother in December, and Merriman did everything but force Peyton Manning to sign his loaf of bread. (That's funny if you've seen Manning's ubiquitous Mastercard commercial. If you haven't seen the commercial, my apologies for having gone all Dennis Miller on you there.)

Focus and ferocity: They will be necessary elements in stopping Larry Johnson this Saturday in KC as well. Johnson has been flicking tacklers off his body like pieces of lint off his suit. The guy's got the body the confidence of Donald Trump, not to mention the body fat of a barbell. But take heart -- the Chargers just stuffed Edgerrin James for 13 carries, 25 yards. He had one carry for 13, but was otherwise 12 carries, 12 yards for the day. San Diego's run defense continues to be number one in the league, allowing a paltry 75 yards-a-game; this in a season where they've taken on James, Clinton Portis and Willis McGahee, just to name three fomer Miami Hurrianes. Throw in the Steelers' backfield, the Broncos' backfield, Lamont Jordan twice, Ricky Williams and Ronnie Brown, Corey Dillon, Priest Holmes- shoot, it's a miracle Barry Sanders didn't come out of retirement to try the Chargers' luck this year.

In the last 27 games, only the Browns' Lee Suggs (!) has rushed for 100 yards against the Chargers' defensive front. It's a heck of an accomplishment, and boggles the mind that run stuffer emeritus Jamal Williams couldn't crack the Top 10 in Pro Bowl fan balloting. It's tough for a 348-pound man to be invisible, but apparently Jamal Williams has found a way to defy the laws of physics.

Anyway, with Williams' focus and ferocity -- and that of young Mr. Merriman and the rest of the 3-4 defense – the chance is there to bottle up Larry Johnson and the Chiefs this Saturday and steal away with win number 10. Let's just hope, as they said in Spinal Tap, that this (season) goes to 11.And furthermore, let's hope that the Titans, Browns, Texans and/or Lions can do the Bolts a solid and win a damn game. Otherwise, we're turnin' Yosemite Sam loose on the lot of yez, ya bunch of long-eared galoots.