1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Foley OUT for the season!!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by eldwin, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I guessed as much. Just hope he recovers period.

2. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Wow .... no chance for coming back now.

I wish this dude the best.

3. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Foley's career in SD is over I predict.

4. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I like this idea.

When we won the AFC championship a few years ago and a bunch of us fans went down to Chargers Park to greet the players back, it was Foley who danced a jig and busted out a cigar for the crowd as he exited the bus.....(maybe Godfrey) ... No it was Foley I am pretty sure. It was classic. I will never forget that scene. About 1,000 of us showed up.

5. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272

Oooh...ooooh, can I answer that???

6. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    I honestly don't think Philips is a downgrade and may even be an upgrade in terms of pure pass-rushing ability (which is saying a lot.)

Where this hurts us the most, IMO, is in terms of depth. Where before we were perfectly set up to cycle Phillips into the game and give Foley and Merriman frequent breaks, now it looks like Phillips and Merriman will be getting a LOT of work. And now we're already on "plan B" so we have no more injury protection at OLB.

Here's hoping Harris or Polk is ready to step in and be an adequate OLB to spell those guys on occasion.

7. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Yes you are because you based this on his history and AJ's tendencies and did not give any weight to the fact the cops may have conspired in this.

His injuries are apparently season ending and not what you presumed or inferred.

If you would have said 3 bullets in his *** was going to end his career then I give you the benefit of the doubt but not the way you presented it. No way.

I stand by what I posted 100% earlier.

8. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    The next step is to try and make the best of this. It opens up a spot on the team. I wonder if they save any money from his contract for this year.

9. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Fuc sakes he drove to his HOUSE......WTF is better than that? You want him to drive around at 3AM to find the cop shop ? How can you be so presumptive to say Foley was the bad boy in all of this? That is bullshit in and of itself. :tdown:

10. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    If he made the 53 man squad, his base salary is guaranteed plus he is on IR bascially. So no savings by my reads.

11. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Most know his history and this does not mitigate what you posted.

12. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Then if you read it and have common sense, then why the fuc did you not include the fact it could have been some assshole impersonating a cop in an unmarked car at 3AM?

I know why ....

Come the fuc on....where is the common sense now Mr. Wizard?

13. compubolt

compubolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +186
    You might charge a nissan, because the dude was not driving an unmarked crown vic, he had a <insert foregn compact here>

OK, I think I get it. Foley may have told his chick to stay in the car while to kicks this crazy guys arse. She being drunk and like all women just wants to help decides to floow foley in the car. Dude shoots, she freaks out and reves the car going at him.

I mean this car was a restored classic foley and his father restored together it said, thats not a car you would take a ram things with sober, maybe even drunk. So the car is on the drunk GF IMO

14. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Now this I like... unlike a lot of the banter about Foley's run in with the law...

Maybe the car just drove itself. I haven't seen anyone present this theory. I've seen MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE... cars can do this sort of thing.

Another thing no one has mentioned in here is that Foley's stereo was blasting "Who Made Who" by AC/DC...

Now... let's see all you geniuses explain this!!

:deadhorse:

15. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Depends. Would you charge the guy if it looked to you like he was shooting at your girlfriend?

When the cop arrived at the end of the cul de sac Foley is standing outisde the car and Foley's GF is in the car. Cop stops, gets out of his own car. Fires a warning shot. Foley's GF panics and starts to flee, so cop pumps two rounds into the car. And THAT is when Foley charges the cop.

Don't forget leisure...right now we're hearing all of this from law enforcement, and you know they're getting the bulk of their info from the guy who happened to be the only cop in the area and who would have an obvious vested interest in making his actions sound justifiable. We haven't heard from the GF because she's in jail--presumably on the word of this cop--and we haven't heard from Foley because he probably hasn't been conscious since this all went down.

Those are the three people who really know what happened. For all we know this was all a ruse made up by a cop who was blatantly harrassing Foley, maybe a guy who wanted to get Foley on resisting arrest charges but didn't expect it to get out of his control. Or maybe it was just a cop who was lazy in his protocol, has done this sort of thing before when he was off-duty so he didn't expect resistance, and made some bad decisions.

Point is, it's kinda premature to give the cop ALL the benefit of the doubt here. It's not like SDPD has any reason to love Steve Foley.

16. compubolt

compubolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +186
    Well I heard that his GF's head can rotate 360 degrees when she is angry........ flame from her eyes...you know...

17. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Since he is put on IR before the season he will only get half his salary and since he is put on non football injury list, they COULD ask for some bonus money back.

I expected a quick decision on that since the season starts this Thursday( technically because there is a game...isnt there?)

• Like Like x 1
  18. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,516
    I'm not sure about that. The "focus on his recovery" line sounds like the team could be giving him another shot. They might be talking about recovery from being shot, but they could also be talking about recovery from alcoholism.

I want to give the Chargers props for making this move. Even if Foley could have played again this year, that would not have been in his best interests. The guy needs to focus on overcoming his demons.

And Shaun Phillips needs to focus on dominating.

• Like Like x 1