1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Foley's bonus in limbo

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,845
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20061025-9999-1s25chnotes.html

By Kevin Acee
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
    October 25, 2006

It will not be decided until after the season whether Steve Foley will be asked to return his 2006 roster bonus.

“We have jointly agreed to handle this issue after the season,” Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith said yesterday when asked about the passing of the 45-day period in which the Chargers were required to decide whether to file a grievance against Foley.

“We will continue to monitor the situation,” Smith said.
    Foley was put on the Reserve: Non-Football Injury list after being shot by an off-duty police officer Sept. 3. Under terms of the NFL's collective bargaining agreement, the Chargers are withholding all of Foley's 2006 salary of $775,000. The team also has the right to recoup an $875,000 roster bonus paid in March.

2. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Take away his base salary. It's a logical move since he won't be playing.

Taking away the bonus given near the beginning of the year may lower team morale and lead to some unintended losses. :icon_eek:

3. RayDahayder

RayDahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    This is a sticky one.... Foley was wrong for his off field behavior and it did lead to this unfortunate shooting.... but, it's not like he deserved to be shot, either. I'd take away one or the other, but I wouldn't take away both the salary and bonus. Taking one away would be enough punishment for his off field stupidity.... getting shot and probably ending his career should get some sympathy. I think the chargers will look like A-holes to keep both the salary and bonus. Would certainly be a moral blow to the team.

4. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    I think it would be more understandable and accepted by the fellow players if his base salary was withheld and he allowed to keep his bonus.

5. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Hey business is business and I would want the bonus money paid back for stupidity as well.

Foley deserves no pay or bonus pay. It also sends a message to the next idiot that if you screw up, it will cost you as well.

6. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Is it a performance based bonus or signing bonus or what?

I think the smartest move is to leave it alone untill the offseason. Then, when Foley has a bajillion dollars, he should just forfeit his bonus anyway.

7. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Tough love is sometimes the best way to raise a kid. Personally I think all kids should work instead of going to skrewl. Then they'd learn what life is all about.

8. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I understood it to be a roster bonus.

9. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    It is tough love

I am glad you are not soft and going for an easy excuse by just calling me an assshole because it is business and not being cold hearted. :yes:

10. Edgar

Edgar BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    I agree. The Chargers also need to consider that the "drinking" issues have come up several times in the past. As much as I think Foley was shot by an overzealous, scared 23 year old cop - he still continues to put himself in these positions. I have to admit if I owned the Chargers I would retract some or all of the bonus (if legal to do so).

11. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    If he's not on the roster, then does he even qualify for this bonus:icon_huh:

I do not understand how they work all these bonuses and **** so forgive me please.:D

12. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    When this case is settled and done, Foley will own half of Coronado. He will have so much cash he can pay back the bonus with interest.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    It is funny because on Opening Day I was talking to Concudan about his business he was in and it was interesting.

The interesting part was that a common thread existed in both our industries which one just shakes their head on and that is the lack of accountability.

Mo-fos need to be held accountable.

This is not the Salem Witch hunts or Macarthy's Red Scare of the 50's which forums are good at - oh and and the stoning references are applicable for some. :icon_mrgreen:

14. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    You know, you are prolly right. So, where do we get Foley's replacement or back up our boys? Is this something anyone is really looking at or anything coming up?

15. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    This stuff gets confusing sometimes. There are several types of bonus' which can be paid broken into TWO categories.

The first group of bonus' are what are described as "Likely to be earned" incentives (bonus') or LTBE's for short. Sometimes these are referred to as a "falling off the log" bonus because they are as easy as "falling off a log" to attain such as a roster bonus etc etc. A roster bonus is a gimme' or easy bonus if you do not screw up !!!

The next group of bonus' are called "Not Likely To Be Earned incentives or NLTBE's. This would include **** like performance bonus' or like number of yards rushing or passing or TD's or ProBowl etc etc etc.....

The bonus was paid in March 2006 to Foley. Foley was on the active roster and under contract so he was paid his roster bonus according to agreed terms.

The NFL also has what are called "Moral Terpitude" clauses which means if you screw up bad enough, the team can void your contact which includes paying back money to the team.

These cases are exceedingly rare cases but do happen.

16. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I think the word is responsibilty in keeping ones sheet together. Otherwise your a loose cannon rolling overboard.

Its kind of the old story. Very good atheletes are kind of spoiled kids in our society. Some don't seem to know their limitations on being responsible for their actions.

On the other hand. The crazy cop should be held to the fire for what wrong he did as well.

17. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Foley is NOT on the active roster now and is not on the IR.

He was placed on the "Non-Football related injury" list.

Foley is still under contract even though he is not on the active roster.