1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Football Gameplan's 2012 NFL Team Preview - Chargers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by EmDiggy, Jul 11, 2012.

1. EmDiggy

EmDiggy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +29

Good morning Charger fans! Here's my season preview for you guys!

Enjoy!

Em

2. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    First, I liked your presentation, and I also liked the way in which you thoroughly addressed the players on the team. I have three pieces of constructive criticism for you, with regard to the presentation of the material.

There is a noticable drop in video quality between content which you produced, and the NFL game tape you're using. If at all possible, I would recommend using higher quality video clips. The production quality of your own material and the stills is obviously top notch.

Also, sometimes when talking about a player about whom you have a lot to say, the same still is on the screen for a long time. You might want to find stills that feature both the player about whom you're speaking, as well as the next player in the video, and blend from the player A photo, to the player AB photo, to the player B photo to maintain continuity.

Overall not only good content, but also good presentation. The last piece of constructive criticism I have is that at the end, you detail how the Chargers have all of the essential pieces to be an elite team, but then say that you expect them to finish 2nd in the division, without saying why, i.e. because you expect Team X, which also has these same essential pieces to be more successful because of their schedule, or because their pieces are better, etc.

Very enjoyable watch for me.

3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Nice work, Em. Like Ikeman said above, I would like to know who you are picking to win the AFCW & why you like their chances better.

My biggest concern going in is the OL. Will they gel? Was Gaither's play last year indicative of what he can do consistently? Can Green (or someone else?) fill Dielman's shoes? Do we have quality depth in case of injury?

Not worried about offensive production provided the line performs up to par. I actually like our WR unit better this year. No knock on Jackson, I just feel that we've made some really good additions. Royal will resume good production with Rivers throwing the ball. I mocked LaDarius Green to us in the 4th so you know I like what he has to offer. Hopefully Gates is healthy, Mathews can stay on the field, & Meachem responds to being targeted more often. Vincent Brown is also set to make an impact, IMO.

Like the Green pick, I also mocked Ingram & Reyes to us in the 1st & 2nd rounds respectively. Very psyched that we got Ingram - I believe he's just a straight up baller. Same with Reyes - high motor, athletic kid with very good size/strength. Our secondary concerns me some but, as you said, QB pressure can alleviate quite a bit there. Gilchrist & Wright both need to see reps - I like both of these kids, particularly Gilchrist. Nothing flashy but a solid guy. Interested to see if Stuckey can do more with a full offseason/TC & what Brandon Taylor will bring. Jarrett Johnson adds another quality veteran to that side of the ball & Butler, IMO, is a stud who is only going to get better.

Thanks for what you do. I say we win the West. :abq2:

4. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +387
    Thanks em.

To touch on what Ikeman said... It looks like the work of somebody who is not a professional editor or graphic artist who has a basic grasp of Final Cut Pro X. The pacing of the edits are somewhat suspect in places. The audio mix is very rough indeed and you could have easily edited the stutters in your dialogue underneath any of those still images or otherwise.

Be that as it may... content is king. Bad packaging is like eating off a dirty plate. It can be excused if the food is good enough. But in this case you really haven't ventured very far from a journalistic comfort zone.

Thanks again. I appreciate the contribution.

5. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    To the bold, I won't pretend to be an editing/cinematography expert, but if I had to compare what it looked like to me visually, I would say that if ESPN's television content is analagous to a major Hollywood production, that the video is closer to a made-for-TV Movie. It's a lot better in terms of production quality than a lot of what you see on the internet from non-studio sources, which typically looks alot less polished.

To the red, did you find the information lacking what would be requisite for a pre-TC team preview?

6. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +387
    Well putting together a package is a lot like sewing together a dress from a designer. You can`t use too many different patterns of fabric, otherwise the work begins to look like grandma`s quilt. If you use a standard effect like in the opener, that sets the tone for the entire piece. Then the hard cuts into and out of the graphic elements look like you had just sewn a diamond onto a burlap sack. The creator instinctively knew that he had to put some motion into the stills. But again... the slow little size moves are burlap sack. Professionals have a host of animated backgrounds they use. And if you look at the NFL Network pieces... before hanging too long on a graphic... they`ll dump back out to the studio shot.

Take a chance. No risk, no gain. It is like playing a poker game and waiting for the nuts before you make a bet.

7. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,512
    And I thought that I was the critic around here. :p

Nice work, EmDiggity....... I like the fact you know all the players, even if I think you're wrong about where we'll finish. ;)

8. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +387
    I hope the OGDT graphics remain stills. Imagine the work if they were to become animated.

(still think Baby Zilla needed some flying dust at the cracks and bodies falling out of the windows...) :D

9. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +509
    Since you didn't ask for a criticism on the presentation, I won't give you one
    except to say that it looks like my presentations after I've been up partying all night.:eek:
    That's a joke really, just trying to keep the responses consistent.
    Good substance, nothing really new that we haven't already chewed on around here,
    but it does bring most of it all under one roof..nice.

On that Division 1st place prediction....the Chefs, really? C'mon man..
    :chiefssuck:

10. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,512
    "Flying" dust implies animation. ;)

11. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +387
    Sort of. But stills are a frozen moment in time. Nothing is really static. Is it?

12. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,512
    Tell that to my dog. :D

13. EmDiggy

EmDiggy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +29
    Thanks for the feedback gang! Here's the scoop:

ESPN/NFLN Production Staff = 60

Football Gameplan = 1 (me)

14. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +387
    Looks like you'll have a ways to go before you're going to be one of them. :D

15. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    The ESPN production staff also doesn't contribute to the content, they only create the packaging.

16. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +387
    You know about ESPN Ikeman?

17. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    ?

Either Tim Hasselbeck, Mark Schlereth, Jerry Rice, Steve Young, Ron Jaworski, Hugh Douglas, Mercellus Wiley, et al have no opinions of their own, or the production staff isn't responsible for the content, as the driving force behind ESPN is comprised of the opinions of their "experts" about what is happening on the field. The game clips and graphics are all just supporting elements to the opinions and assertions of their on-air staff.