1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Football Gameplan's 2012 Wk 2 Chargers vs Titans Video Preview

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by EmDiggy, Sep 13, 2012.

1. EmDiggy

EmDiggy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +34

Good afternoon Charger fans! Good luck this week!

Em

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    How do I say this nicely EM .... I think you've lost your freakin' mind. :p

San Diego wins by 10+.

3. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Jake Locker :roflmao:

Then again crazier things have happened. ;)

4. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,412
    The Pats running game gashed them.... is the Chargers run game that much worse? Locker will be running for his life....... Chargers will win their home opener.

5. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I think CJ2K throwing his O-line under the bus isn't going to have a positive impact on this game for them.

6. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I think our run game is a lot worse if Mathews isn't on the field. Their running game is predicated on a strong line and average backs. Ours is predicated on an elite back and an average line. Further, the Patriots have two elite pass-catching TEs who allow them to both run and throw out of traditional "Big" sets. If Mathews doesn't play, I'm not expecting us to gash the Titans at all.

7. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    ..or him. Butler's going to hurt with no one blocking...

8. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    Of course our running game isn't as good without Mathews.... that goes without saying. But, the Patriots O-line isn't that different from ours. Both are better at pass protection than they are at run blocking. Last year, the Patriots averaged 110 yards per game rushing, putting them in 20th place. The Chargers averaged 116 yards, putting them in 16th.

New England rushed for 162 yards against the Titans...... that's way above their normal production. Is it really that likely that the Patriots run game has suddenly improved that much, or is it more likely that the Titans run defense is not very good?

9. EmDiggy

EmDiggy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +34
    Thanks Gang! LOL! Sorry for the pick.. But you guys are making some valid argument especially about who makes who better. I'll say this, it'll be interesting to see how quickly both teams abandon their game plan if they get down by 10...

10. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I was saying that without Mathews the Chargers' run game is a lot worse than the Patriots. Their line is better at pass pro than run blocking, but it's better than our line at both. Without Mathews, we have an average line with average backs, which is a downgrade from what the Pats are operating with, not to mention their superior receiving options.

11. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    That all may be true, but it doesn't explain the 162 yards rushing from a team that isn't known as a running team. I'd say the Titans run defense needs work, which the Chargers could also take advantage of..... at least, enough to be respectable.

12. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    And reality for the Titans is that they're down their starting MLB.

See - I'm rationalizing our win already. :tup:

13. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    Hey Em;

Just curious, out of all of your Chargers analysis and predictions from last season, how many times were you correct in your game outcomes?

Thanks,

Pointy

14. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Note to other Chargers fans: Not sure the OL for the Pats is comparable to the current OL for the Chargers re run blocking. Cause we have none.

Note to Em: Given the Chargers (lack of) running attack, our 'gameplan B' for sure calls for a sheetload of passes. So no changes when we're down by 10 ;)

15. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    Neither do the Titans, and they're a running team...... #imjustsaying

16. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    The Pats D looked good on highlights,but unfortunately I forgot to record that game. No idea if it was Titans OL getting blown away, or actual talent on the defensive side of the ball in NE. Suffice to say that if the Chargers D lets down (not a rare thing) CJohnson may have a better day than last week.
    If the Chargers D controls the LOS, it should go about like last week for the Chargers.

17. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    For the second week in a row, the Chargers face a young running back,
    who not long ago was probably the best in the game.
    A week ago I said I thought the game would be decided by how well McFadden
    could move the chains, and I think it's pretty much the same this week.
    McFadden was a legit concern, and CJ2K could return to form any Sunday.
    But if the Charger front seven plays as they did Monday night, it's on to 2-0.

And though Palmer wasn't sacked much while the game was still a contest,
    he was rarely given enough time to to set up and release a decent pass. Again, that
    much pressure on Locker or Hasselbeck will probably yield a couple of turnovers,
    and the game.

And all that's fortunate, because--barring some spectacularly successful misdirection--
    it's hard to see the Chargers getting much on the ground. Brown has heart, but
    doesn't look to have the burst anymore to get through a modest hole. Honestly,
    Edwin Baker (now on the practice squad) was the only running back in bolts who
    looked remotely quick. :unsure: Fortunately, Rivers should have another good day. :tup:

18. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    It's usually a challenge to say if one was rocking, or the other was sucking...
    but for my money, the Pats' D looked rejuvenated--like Lance Armstrong right after a fresh bag--
    and I was trying to see a weak Pat defense...no such luck...

19. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    May I remind you, that this is still considered a "family" forum. ;)

20. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    The highlights made them look good, but I don't trust espn or nfln when it comes to the Pats....

21. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    They looked decent, but hardly overwhelming. Locker threw for a decent amount of yardage, and wasn't helped out by his guys dropping some very catchable passes. CJ looked tentative, while the Pats RB Ridley was decisive and ran hard. He got 125 of the Pats 162 rushing yards. Their O-line did a decent blocking job, but the holes weren't enormous, Ridley was just good at hitting the holes at the right time.

22. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    The results from today have cast a different light on the Pats than the ESPN take ;)

23. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    I guess Pete Prisco's 16-0 prediction is looking a little suspect now. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  24. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    You drop one to a Kolb-led Cards squad at home, and your problems are worse than the Prisco Curse ;)

25. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    And the guys in the ESPN break room have either torn up or burned their fantasy league picks for the season.

26. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    They'll bounce back. Shame about Hernandez though....... Vincent Brown can sympathize.

27. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    They don't call it "fantasy" football for nothing. ;)