1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Football Gameplan's 2014 NFL Draft Grades - Chargers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by EmDiggy, Jun 4, 2014.

1. EmDiggy

EmDiggy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +29
  2. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +87
    Something always rubs me the wrong way about draft grades that occur before any of the players take the field, and last year can serve as my "Exhibit A".

Last year's draft for the Bolts could easily be seen as a C+/B- type a year ago. The first round pick was a tackle who was seen as an elite-level run-blocking tackle, but came with the reputation of being mainly a RT (which is true) and a question mark in pass situations. The second rounder was a lightning rod who not only laid an egg in a BCS championship, but also was a player that was traded up for. The third rounder was a WR with immediate injury history. And the rest of the draft just seemed like a mish-mash.

In short, it looked like one of those "meh" type drafts. Fast forward: T'eo has shown, at the very least, to not be a distraction and has shown good football sense. Allen is a bona-fide #1 wide receiver in this league. Fluker may be the best tackle drafted, and that is saying something, proving himself in both run and pass situations. Even the depth like BS have proven to potentially be backup-worthy. And if T'eo can improve and Williams can show something, this is an A+ class, and probably already an A- on the backs of Allen and Fluker alone.

To call this haul a B- is precarious given the nice mix of "need" and "value" (especially in the first 2 rounds), with all of the other picks outside of Watt (who I think is a stalwart) having boom/bust potential and, with the exception of Carrethers, the ability to contribute on special teams for years to come.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,648
    Sorry Emory but given the statements made and given the talent level you admitted they picked up, I'm thinking that's a very low grade. it's interesting that I gave the Chargers draft last year a B- you gave it an A, you were rather right on it i'd say, but this year I gave them very close to an A whereas you gave them a B-.
    While I concur about Grice especially, talent and value wise he was a great selection. Reese I have far less complaints about and if it's true the team knew ahead of time that Floyd would be returning then it made sense to have a WR picked this late. Unlike last year I think you have six players who can be on this roster in 2015 and at least 5 potential starters by then or 2016.

4. EmDiggy

EmDiggy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +29
    Thanks gang! Where else do you think they could've/should've gone in the draft?

5. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +318
    I prefer to wait four or five years. Then I'll put on my 20/20 hindsight glasses and a clown hat and say the equivalent of, "We should have drafted Troy Polamlu."

Edit: Needless to say, I'll then spend the next 15 years hammering nearly every forum thread beotching about it.

• Agree Agree x 1