1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Football Gameplan's 2014 NFL Midseason Mock Draft Video

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by EmDiggy, Oct 23, 2013.

1. EmDiggy

EmDiggy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +26

Good morning Bolt fans! Here's my Midseason Mock Draft video

Enjoy!

Em

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,632
    Admittedly I'm not sure what to make of the enigmatic CB from Ohio State, and I'm not sure where he even fits in the rankings of CBs. personally really like the CB from Oregon but not sure where he'd go either

3. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    Johnny Manziel in the top 5? Give me a break Em. What does zone blocking have to do with quarterbacks? Almost nothing unless it's a designed run.

He's just as short as Russell Wilson with not 1/10 the character....that alone will drop him out of the 1st round. Also he doesn't seem to hit his receivers routes on time, which is why you see him bail the pocket so often. I can't see a GM putting his career on the line in the 1st for what is very likely Vince Young 2.0.

If your looking for a QB to replace him with take a look at Sean Mannion, he is the FBS passing leader and plays in a true pro style offense, with an extremely well respected college coach in Mike Riley who prepares his players well for the next level. He's putting up stupid great numbers right now with an extremely mediocre supporting cast. If he plays well against Stanford the talking heads will start buzzing....the scouts should be already.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  4. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    I would much rather have a LT prospect like James Hurst NC or Cyrus Koujando Alabama or pass rusher like Vic Beasley Clemson or Kyle Van Noy BYU but my favorite is still Khalil Mack.

I do like Roby and would be happy if we got him, I would prefer another position. not sure where they are now or if they'll move up come draft day but I really like Darqueze Dennard out of Michigan St.
    Andre Hal from Vanderbilt and Bennett Jackson from Notre Dame.

one or all should be available in the 2nd or 3rd

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,632
    Here's my question with Manziel; he was NEVER like this before the Heisman etc and I almost wonder if he's acting out from it. And to be frank he all of a sudden went from golden boy to schmuck because of what? Signing autographs? No offense but I'd get pretty bleeping surly if that is what nearly got me suspended. He remains one of the best QBs in NCAA and is a one man show on par IMHO w RG3. I think a lot of teams would be lucky to happen.

6. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings:
    +275
    Some interesting picks, I would be kinda mad though if Kouandjio, Lewan & Richardson were all on the board and we went CB. I don't think Roby is that much of a "can't miss" prospect to overlook the need for a left tackle. Ideally we could pick OL in round 1 and then get a CB like Marcus Roberson of Florida in the second.

7. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    RG3 was a golden boy coming out, no character questions at all. And VY was a one man show himself.

The signing autographs thing makes no impression on me, not talking about that at all. I'm talking about the way he carries himself on and off the field, im talking about the show boating and penalties, I'm talking about how he referred to himself in the 3rd person on an ESPN interview, and how he's seen at more parties than practices in the offseason. And on a more technical level I just don't think he's that good throwing from the pocket or reading coverage, he's an improv QB like Tebow.

I just wouldn't put my career on the line for a kid like that.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Manziel is a douche

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    Make sure you watch Mannion tonight, Em.

10. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    Yeah, he was... it just didn't get the exposure/publicity that it gets now since he's won the Heisman. As soon as he was anointed Kevin Sumlin's starter as A&M, Manziel was embracing the popularity and fame that came with being "that guy" at College Station. Now he's still extremely young, so it's entirely possible he'll grow out of it - particularly if he gets a proper "big brother" type as a pro.

As far as him being a 1st rounder, I wouldn't count it out. He's got mechanical (footwork largely) issues out the yin-yang, but he's also got ceiling and QB's are always going to go at a premium. If Christian Ponder and Blaine Gabbert, for all their flaws, hell even Jake Locker (who I think Manziel is actually a fair comparison to being a shorter version of him) can get teams to bite on burning a 1st round pick on them because of scarcity and high demand at the position, Manziel can unless he gets arrested between now and the draft. Under normal circumstances he should be a 2nd or 3rd rounder - not unlike Russell Wilson and Drew Brees (because they were lacking a definable prototypical trait for the position) as prospects deserved to be 3rd and 2nd rounders respectively. However, scarcity is going to likely push him into the 1st if/when he does declare.

Also, did I just see Sean Mannion's name mentioned in the same sentence as 1st round pick? Really? The Joey Harrington clone? After Bridgewater, (since Jamies Winston won't/can't declare) I've got Bryce Petty (Baylor) who should declare if he's smart, followed by Hundley (on pure ceiling, he's another guy that should go 2nd round and absolutely needs a redshirt year as a pro similar to what Kaepernick was given - and in a way what EJ Manuel "lucked" into due to injuries), Carr, Matthews, and then a toss-up between Mettenberger (high floor, but effectively already reached his ceiling) and Manziel (good ceiling, but not without causes for concern), and Boyd (who is a clear Day 2 prospect, but solidly that). Mariota, I'm fairly certain, will return to Oregon for another year and another shot at a National Championship; he's got a much better chance of doing so than Hundley, thus why I feel he's much more likely to return than Hundley is.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  11. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +121
    Here's a question i wonder if we go cb like the video, do w take justin gilbert. Or darqueese dennard??

12. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    In the 1st? Neither is really worthy. In the 2nd... my gut says Gilbert, but it really depends on a lot of factors that can't be assessed yet: Will we have a new DC, or will Pagano be held more accountable to make adjustments to his current game approach to remedy what hasn't been working, or not... and then how much influence will the coaching staff have over who the scouting staff and Telescopo rank prospects. I honestly think that with Williams' selection in this year's draft, Cox's contract making him more expensive to release or trade than keep, and the fact that we really haven't seen what Williams brings to the table, that CB will be looked at similarly to the way WR was in this past draft: If someone of great value falls to a round they shouldn't have, they'll be selected on value more than need, but otherwise we'll likely be identifying need elsewhere to try and get a better ability to evaluate the crop we currently have in a more proper/appropriate environment.