1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Football in the Olympics

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BoltThrower, Aug 27, 2008.

1. BoltThrower

BoltThrower BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    What about football in the Olympics?

It sounds a little outrageous, but this now has the support of Peyton Manning.

I'm writing on behalf of weplay.com to have a petition signed in order to make football an Olympic event.

If anyone is interested in signing this petition, please goto

http://www.weplay.com/olympic-football .

2. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    It won't happen, not enough nations play it.

3. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I say no, the NFL wont let it's players play in it so it's reduces to players that didn't make the cut in the NFL and have no place to play. Even so there wouldn't be any competition for the USA, I think that's why they cancelled softball (or baseball)

4. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    They just dumped Softball because we were ruling the roost. American Football will be in the Olympics after the Afghans get Bushkazi in.

5. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    They already play football in the Olympics.

[​IMG]

6. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Hmm...if it were Ladanian Tomlinson I'd be all over that but Peyton Manning, Dude! You've got to hoist a Lombardi Trophy already. You're an attention whore if you think you deserve a gold medal. Now BMX racing, that was cool! I signed it anyways...

7. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Well ****! If a Manning endorses it, why hasn't it already happened?

It will never happen, American football is not big globally.

8. Aggieman

Ratings:
    +194
    Wasn't there a big European push a few years ago?

9. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    hardly seems fair as were almost the only ones who play it.

i'd love to see igor captain the Ukrainian team:lol:

10. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    I say no, only because all of the pros will want to play it. With how physical football is, and with everyone going all out to win the gold, there will be injuries abound which will in turn hurt the NFL. The NFL is all I really care about. I'm pretty "eh" about the olympics as a whole.

11. BoltThrower

BoltThrower BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    We should at least try to get it in to the Olympics. It has all the good elements- running, wrestling, throwing, kicking, jumping. It is like a culmination of all the other events.

I think where there's a will, there's a way!

12. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +504
    I am already completely disinterested in 95% of the Olympics. Drugs ruined it for me. It did not help when they started to include the most ridiculous 'sports'.

My definition of what an Olympic Sport should be is something everyone can do. Running, jumping, throwing, swimming (even though there are way too many disciplines), rowing, cycling are what I am talking about here. Ball games like tennis and soccer (we have the World Cup already for chrissakes) should be thrown out. The Olympics was established on the foundation of amateurism after all. Yes I know the athletes make money these days.

Football, while a fantastic game, is an American game period. Countries outside the US might try to play it a bit but it will always be of a very poor standard and amateur. If someone began advocating playing it in the Olympics then we might aswell include hurling too!!. (FYI hurling is only played in Ireland).

So I say NO WAY.

13. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Not in the olympics. Imagine the headline: "No name player from <insert country here> ends Ladanian Tomlinson's career with <insert body mangling action>."

14. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    And that’s why the league folded, outside of the USA; there is not a big following for American Football. Where everything gets inflated is the Super Bowl, and there is a huge interest in that.

Plus the Olympics are only 14 days long, how many people are you going to have on a Team, and how many days rest are you going to give those poor guys!

15. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Rugby would be cool. Plenty of countries including us play that, and it's fun to watch.

16. Aggieman

Ratings:
    +194
    Rugby would be very cool. And knowing Peyton Manning's insatiable need for attention, he might even play...and hopefully die! Tom Brady feels in and he too dies.:flag:

17. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +504
    I hear u but.

Like Soccer we already have the Rugby World Cup. Having soccer there is a joke. Argentina had more than 5 top flight players in China and it meant when their domestic leagues began a couple of weeks ago these players were missing. Imagine if we had to start the NFL Season while LT, Jamal and Rivers played for the USA against Germany in a Gold Medal game in Beijing.

Same goes for basketball. Not sure how the Lakers, Heat/whoever would be too pleased were their season to start while the boys were bouncing a ball in China.

Jeeeeeeeeeez.