1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

For All The Idiots That Say the San Diego Chargers Window Is Closing

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, May 31, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    For All The Idiots That Say the San Diego Chargers Window Is Closing

[​IMG]

By Henny Young Correspondent

You must be wondering why do I have a picture of Drew Brees up as a Charger for this article. Well, this is basically a article about the many who doubt the Chargers ability to win without key players, coaching changes, to include offensive and defensive philosophy changes. Many have said that the Chargers window is closing because of recent released players such as LaDainian Tomlinson and Jamal Williams not to mention players that have been traded like Antonio Cromartie. Hell, people even question the depth of the Chargers quarterbacks due to a trade in which the Chargers benefited from for giving up a QB that never ever played in return for a third round draft choice! So here is to all the idiots that says the Chargers window is closing.

Back in 2005, coming off a 12-4 season, the Chargers fell sorely to a 9-7 record with five of their games being winnable considering they only loss by four or less points. They just didn't finish games. Also, with Drew Brees being injured towards the ending part of the season, the Chargers future was in the air.

I've heard people said that the Chargers are going down back in the 2006 off-season due to what happened in the 2005 and with Drew Brees out and playing a untested Philip Rivers at QB for the first time. Many questioned that if Marcus McNeil, a 2006 draftee, could play tackle with his back health issues. Many questioned if Antonio Cromartie would be able to play after not playing the previous season in Florida State. Also with questions to the safety position to add upon the many doubts people had against the Chargers.

Look at how the Chargers came back and prove to everyone that their window is wide as hell and the Chargers responded by having one of their best seasons in their team's history with a 14-2 record. The Chargers RB L.T. broke numerous rushing records all the while having a questionable O-line that proved to be one of the best in the league. Marcus McNeil proved to be a elite tackle after all and Philip Rivers proved to be a outstanding QB starting his first full season and going to the Pro Bowl.

Then came doubts again about the Chargers after the 2006 season. Head Coach Marty Schottenheimer got fired after a outstanding season but with the lack of succeeding in the play-offs, he was ultimately shown the door.

Enter Norv Turner. I have seen nothing but negative articles that he's a failure. He never succeeded with the Washington Redskins or the Oakland Raiders. He's only a good offensive coordinator. Blah blah blah blah blah. All negative things. People questioned whether Turner fit the Chargers offense seeing that he's a bit of a passing coach and not a running oriented type of coach like Schottenheimer.

Many questioned if the Chargers going to be the same team with a new head coach, new offensive coordinator, and a new defensive coordinator. People also questioned if the Chargers defense can play just as good after Donnie Edwards and Randall Godfrey got cut.

So many doubts about the Chargers with so many drastic changes before the 2007 season. How did the Chargers respond? Norv Turner help lead that Charger team to their first AFC Championship Game in 13 years. On top of that, he helped rip apart many analyst who said he's a passing oriented coach by having L.T. take his second rushing title home. Norv Turner also was directly responsible in coaching Rivers to become a better QB after being in a run oriented system in 2006.

In 2009, many analyst and many AFC West rival fans predicted that the Chargers 2008 season was proof of the team's window winding down. They neglect to mention that the Chargers went through a lot of changes regarding coaching personnel and defensive philosophy half-way through the season. Those very same people fail to mention that the Chargers were the AFC West Champs and at 8-8, they beat the 12-4 Colts in the play-offs.

Still though, coming off a 8-8 season in 2008 made a lot of opposing fans say the Chargers going down. With Rivers injury problem, a weak defense, and with L.T. becoming less effective, many said the Chargers aren't going to take the division again or have a chance at the play-offs. Analyst also point to the 8-8 Chargers playing with a tough schedule for the reason they're heading downward in 2009.

Guess what analyst, during the 2009 season, the Chargers had no running game and a average defense that can't play the run and yet, on the arm of Philip Rivers and the coaching of Norv Turner, the Chargers went on to a 13-3 record. Proving all the doubter wrong especially them AFC West fans and analyst.

So here we are now. Many of these idiot "analyst" and fans saying the Chargers days are down and will be declining in the coming years. They argue that LaDainian Tomlinson is gone. Jamal Williams is gone. Antonio Cromartie is gone. I would love to bash many of these so-call experts but I'd leave that for them to read my numerous comments on other articles on why the Chargers will be on top.

One thing is for sure and something that has never changed and why the Chargers will be on top of their game for a long time, that is current GM AJ Smith. AJ Smith and the late John Butler are the reasons the Chargers are at the top of their game. The late John Butler, God bless his soul, laid the Chargers foundation. Then his friend, assistant GM at the time, took over in the 2004 off-season. Those two men are the reasons why the Chargers are elite.

AJ Smith helped the Chargers have six winning seasons in nine seasons with the team. Funny how the three losing seasons the Chargers have had is during AJ Smith's first three years with the team from 2001-2003. Since then the Chargers have been just fine.

So, for all those idiots that believe the Chargers are going down, here is something for all you analyst, opposing fans, and experts, that think the Chargers window is closing. The Chargers window will NEVER close as long as the Chargers main weapon, GM AJ Smith, is leading the way and as of right now, he looks like he's going to stay for the long term. He's going to make sure he brings San Diego that trophy that all of us fans have longed for.

[​IMG]

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Well that was certainly nauseating.

3. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    this years team will actually have more talent than any other chargers team in the last decade.

I think what the pundit meant by the window closing is we are going to loose one or two or three of our good players to free agency next year. Probably merriman , sporles and maybe floyd or jackson. I hope not. I kind of think merriman is odd man out. But we need to try and hang onto jackson and floyd and if possible sproles.

Mcneil is the other tendered player. But I have him pegged that we have to hang onto him.

4. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890

McNeill is to me more important than the rest to sign long term because he protects Rivers Blind side. If we would loose him then Rivers will be less effective.

5. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Our time will come. Don't worry and don't trip.

6. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Yes. Please, no tripping.

• Like Like x 1
  7. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    :lol: duh internets is funny

8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    duh being the operative word :lol:

9. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I politely asked Johnny to stop posting drivel from Bleacherreport... I can't even make it beyond the headline anymore.

Johnny... please... for the love of AJ... please... enough already. :lol:

10. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Yeah, I figured people were referring to that hack job from Bleacher Report by that self-admitted Donko fan, Reid Brooks.

Bleacher Report is little more than a glorified blog that allows wannabe sports writers with an account to splatter any drivel they can think of online.

It's about as authoritative as the National Enquirer or Florio's PFT reports.

11. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    You know you can't live with out the Bleacher Report... :lol:

:abq2: :icon_tease: :abq2:

12. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    It does have it's value as a grotesquerie.