1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

For all you Norv Apologist our there if not today then when?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by dizzle498, Oct 10, 2010.

1. dizzle498

dizzle498 Bolts lover 4 life

Ratings:
    +10
    I do undertstand that this thread has been piece mealed around the site, but I wanted to start one of my own today because I am so disgusted.

It's been 5 weeks now and nothing has changed. Missed assignments are the name of the game in all of our losses this year. Heck, even during our wins missed assignments led to some negative plays. I want to break down the biggest and most obvious missed assignments so I can make my point.

Game 1 - 1 punt return for a touch down, players out of their lanes, running into each other, missing tackles. 1 punt return inside the redzone resulting ultimately in a TD when our D couldn't hold. Lose by a TD. Mathews fumble in KC side of the field.

Game 2 - 1 blocked punt. P Rivs 2 INT's. Mathews fumble.

Game 3 - 2 kickoff returns for TD's, should have been 3 (if the Seahwawks logo doesn't tackle Washington). Killer penalties on the last drive to tie including, 2 delay of games, 1 false start, and a reviever stepping out of bounds and being the first player to touch the ball again. Tolbert fumbles at the 6, and has his helmet come off on a first down play costing us the ball. Sproles, and Nanee both fumble as well, Gates bats a jump ball in the air for a INT.

Game 4 - Reasonable play, Sproles fumble, not INT's not other turnovers.

Game 5 - 2 punts blocked, 1 for a TD one for safety, 1 P Riv's fumble Tolbert fumble at the 1, another P Riv's fumble with the game on the line (questionable but ruled a fumble non the less after replay) led to Raiders TD.

To make a long story long, we have had 5 special teams TD's against us and a safety, a fumble return for a TD and 2 fumbles inside the 10 yard line. By my count that is 51 points in 5 games we have spotted to the other teams.

At some point it is not a player problem, it is a coaches problem. You can't keep saying "Players need to pull there heads out of their ***." Eventually it comes down to coaches not making sure the players understand what they need to do to get he job done.

Losing to the Raiders is an embarrassement, right up there with the lost to the Seahawks, and Chiefs. At what point do we need to get a better coach that does not allow these types of things to happen, or at least cuts down on them. We cannot have P Riv's throwing for 500 yards a game on a regular basis, we need to do something. Otherwise this will just be another lost season.

2. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    Agree

We need a new head coach!

Extra Point = We are NEVER going to get a decent head coach with AJ at the helm...period.

3. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    Funny. THe commentators were saying that AL Davis does the same thing ppl accuse AJ by getting a yes man coach who will do what he says. I don't think you can Blame norv this time though. Last year Dfense and ofense were ******* up alot. THis year we make some mistakes but its our ST that lost the 3 games. You cant expect to win anything less than a blowout if you give up 2 blocked punts or 2 KO return tds in one game~!

4. Bolt Attack

Bolt Attack BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    Could not agree more!

5. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I've never been a Norv apologist, nobody can accuse me of that, but I can't blame him for our STs play or the fumblitis. And in all 3 of our losses we've given up STs TDs and fumbled the ball at least twice, usually at the worst possible times.

I can however blame him for killing drives on that stupid ******* Sproles draw play, and his inability to call a quick passing play when he knows the defense is crashing hard on Philip Rivers.

6. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    WHy does he do that every game for the last 2 years? THat draw has maybe worked once if Ever if I remember right!!!

7. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    I think we needed Norv while Rivers was developing. I now believe upgrading in the head coach position is necessary. Rivers is a Pro and can handle himself. We now need a complete headcoach, not just a extremely good quaterback coach.

8. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    When? How about when we miss the playoffs? Changing the HC right now would be stupid considering that theres still 11 games left and the way we've lost these 3 straight road games.

9. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Obviously a Coaching change right now would be stupid(except for SP teams he definitely needs to be fired.) But in the end of the Season Norv needs to go. I've been the biggest Norv Supporter out there and I am through with him. He is a decent coach at best but am fed up with him. But that won't happen because AJ runs the Show. God someone fire AJ.

10. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,583
    Let's see what happens vs. St. Louis next week. If we lose that game, several heads out at Chargers park will not only roll, but explode. Bank on it.

11. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    how is rivers' arm not going forward but the raiders get the worse call before

12. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    I don't think we should fire Norv. We should fire Crosby.

But I do not know what Norv was thinking. We were at the point of a 43 yard field goal attempt, right? If we were a physical team that could run block, how do you know just shove it down their throat for a few more yards? No draws to Sproles. Shove it down their throat to make the game winning field goal a no brainer.

Damnit.

13. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Yup, that call, Miller falling out of bounds on the TD catch, the missed Mathews TD in the 1st QTR. The refs were not good today. But we still lost by beating ourselves.

14. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Especially with an almost automatic kicker. It makes no sense

15. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    AJ didn't hire Norv.

16. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    It was a clutch situation. Nate would have missed. [/corona]

17. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    [​IMG]

CHill out everyone. THis is exactly where we were last year and We ended up 13-3

18. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    If the Chargers don't make the playoffs (or even if they sneak in at 8-8 again) I may be apt to agree with you.

But let's not forget where this team was after 5 games last year. The season isn't over yet.

19. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    If Norv focks up again (if we even MAKE the playoffs) this is the new head coach I want for the Chargers! Chucky will get it done!

[​IMG]

20. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    Hmmmm THe 49ers may get to him first the way singletary is coaching this year.

21. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    The Chargers will never get a good coach again while AJ is in Charge!

The best coaches are also the ones that like to have a fair amount of control over the team, a coach of the Chargers these days has none!

22. dizzle498

dizzle498 Bolts lover 4 life

Ratings:
    +10
    (Two words for you next year... as I believe that no matter what happens this year, AJ is going to ride Norv out (thats AJ's MO...)

Jim Harbaugh. If the dude can do that with Stanford, he can do it in the league. His bro is a great HC in Baltimore already, he was a QB in the league for a long time, prolly to long come to think of it.

He is a young, sharp, football mind that would get the job done (Bonus points because he would be relatively cheap (cause our owners are)) and if / when he gets the job done, he could be our coach for a very long time.

On a side note - Does Ryan Mathews still pay for us? I know I saw some guy get 5 carries that was wearting 24, he was really fast and effective. Couldn't of been him though cause he kept getting taken out after a good play.

MIA - Ryan Mathews - Our starting running back, please send PM's with any and all information regarding him returning to ur team as our starting RB. Maybe the milk carton picture will help Norv pull his head out his ***? Dunno, maybe worth a try.

23. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    Not that I would be against Harbaugh but don't let college success fool you into thinking he'd be a sure success in the NFL.

NFL history is riddled with successful college head coaches who couldn't make it in the NFL.

24. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    Agreed

25. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    How about we just get Norv to toss the gatdamn delay to sproles for a 2 yard loss out of the playbook, then maybe introduce him to Ryan Mathews?

Babysteps.

26. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    I don't believe the season is over. I actually believe we'll win the division my problem is "Why do we have go on this roller-coaster every year" I haven't given up hope and never will but if and I stress "IF" we have the same exiting or worst as last season. Then I believe Norv needs to go or moved to OC. Long season though will see in the end.

27. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    I don't like the slow starts any more than the next guy but if it always came with a strong finish and a ticket to the playoffs then I'm fine with it.

I'm more worried about getting over the hump in the playoffs to the Super Bowl.

If Norv can have another strong finish and bring home a Lombardi I'd be pleased with what he's brought for this team, slow starts and all.

If he has another strong finish but fails in the playoffs again I may be apt to agree with the Fire Norv brigade, but it'd be more because he can't get it done in January, not because he can't get it done in September/early October.

28. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    At the end of the season if this team doesn't make the playoffs

29. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    If only AJ had hired Norv to be the coordinator alongside Marty Schottenheimer instead of replacing him as Head Coach, we would have won at least one superbowl by now *sigh*

30. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    If only people didn't keep holding the false belief that AJ is in charge of hiring and firing the head coach.