1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

For Bolts and Jackson, a trust gap

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

For Bolts and Jackson, a trust gap

Great play dimmed by off-the-field behavior

By Kevin Acee, UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER Friday, January 29

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. — Even as he has ascended to near the top of his profession, his inclusion in this week’s Pro Bowl festivities here cementing his status as one of the NFL’s best wide receivers, Vincent Jackson knows there is a perception problem and a gap in trust.
    To a certain extent, especially as it pertains to how his team feels about him, Jackson understands.
    “Is it fair? Yes,” Jackson said as he stood in the players’ hotel after a Pro Bowl practice this week. “It’s part of the business.”
    Jackson spoke specifically of the Chargers’ decision to take a wait-and-see approach in regards to his long-term future with the team. Jackson is coming off consecutive career years, yet due to the specter of 2010 being uncapped, he will likely be a restricted free agent, under the club’s control with no multiyear contract yet being discussed between the parties.
    “Everything comes into consideration when (a team makes) a decision like that,” Jackson said.
    There is no question Jackson has become an elite receiver. His 17.2-yard average was tops by far among those with more than 50 receptions. His 1,167 yards were tied for sixth, his nine receiving touchdowns tied for fifth.
    But what is being considered these days regarding Jackson, in the Pro Bowl because Indianapolis’ Reggie Wayne is in the Super Bowl, is his off-field driving issues.
    Jackson has twice since 2006 been arrested for driving under the influence. A pending case from January 2009 could result in his being suspended by the NFL at the start of the 2010 season. And on the morning of the Chargers’ playoff loss to the New York Jets, Jackson was cited for driving with a suspended license.
    Jackson said he got to the stadium in time to “go through my routine” and ended up catching seven passes for 111 yards.
    “It was in the back of my mind,” he said. “But obviously I went out and had a decent game.”
    Jackson did do one thing in that game that, while ultimately not costing the Chargers points, was symbolic of the team’s overall meltdown. After making a spectacular sideline catch in the fourth quarter, which the Jets unsuccessfully challenged, Jackson kicked the red challenge flag thrown by Jets coach Rex Ryan.
    “It was more of a joking thing than a negative attitude,” Jackson said. “I was smiling. Their sideline was smiling. The referee was smiling. Unfortunately the back judge didn’t see it that way.”
    Jackson did say, “If I had it to do over again, I wouldn’t kick the flag.”
    Jackson sounds, too, as if he would have made some other choices differently.
    He maintains he does not have a drinking problem, a belief he says was supported by counselors in the extensive NFL-mandated program he went through last offseason after his DUI arrest.
    “They did see some bad choices were being made,” he said.
    But Jackson believes that to draw a line from his troubles to his having bad character is unjust.
    “I think my character is my strength,” said Jackson. “I’m not a crazy guy. I’m pretty quiet. I keep to myself.”
    Whatever the perception, there does appear to be combating facets of Jackson’s behavior.
    One of the team’s most well-spoken players, Jackson was an Academic All-American in college.
    He is known as one of the best blocking receivers in the NFL, and unlike some of the league’s elite pass catchers, he runs his routes with precision and to fruition every time.
    Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis was reluctant to lavish praise on Jackson, saying yesterday, “I faced a lot of good receivers this year.” But Revis, who went against Jackson for about half of the snaps in this month’s playoff game, smiled broadly and shook his head in the affirmative when asked about that aspect of Jackson’s game.
    “The one thing I did notice is his worth ethic,” Revis said. “You can tell how he plays. He’s physical, and he’s always trying to finish.”
    Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith said recently how much he appreciates the way Jackson works. And head coach Norv Turner has gushed about the improvement Jackson has made since Turner arrived in 2007.
    “Every year he has gotten better,” Turner said. “You don’t get better if you don’t work at it. He has. He’s committed to doing things right on the field. There’s no question he’s got great work ethic and strong character. He’s continuing to grow as a person, and that’s something we’re going to continue to stress with him. Some things need to be different.”
    Jackson’s goal is to in a few years have changed the topic of conversation, to make his play the thing that is discussed.
    “I do think there is a lot more attention paid to the negative in my life than the positive,” said Jackson, who participates in several charitable activities. “The negative brings more attention. I’ve made some changes. I’m going to handle it the best way I can to get it behind me as soon as I can.”

2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    If we only use the RFA tender on him he's going to get snagged by somebody else, we need to lock up him up long term.

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    If it wasn't for the fact he does such boneheaded things off and on the field he wouldn't been locked up much earlier. The fact that he keeps doing them keeps bringing up that nagging question of maturity and common sense.

4. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    Jackson is not alone in this situation. Because of the uncertainty of the CBA, teams are not jumping up to make deals until they know what the 2010 year is going to be like. There is also the spectre of the lockout in 2011.

For being a Academic All-American, he sure is a rock-head when it comes to the common sense dept.

5. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Just goes to show you, even the brightest many times have no common sense at all.

The thing that makes me wonder is that this guy has a whole lot of time off from his job over the course of a year. Why can't he take care of the simple stuff like the rest of us do...renew drivers license and auto registration? It isn't like that stuff is some deep dark esoteric kind of stuff that only a few people understand how to do. Hell...the license can be renewed on line, and they mail the auto registraion renewal to everyone.

6. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    For someone who pulled down $620,000 this past season, he should be able to hire a Personal Assistant to deal with all this stuff if he can not.

7. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,424
    I'll take an immature WR who is a dominant down field threat over a mature, well behaved WR who isn't half as good as him.

Lock him up, AJ

8. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    agreed, there's far too much potential in this guy to just let him walk away. Rivers + Jackson = The Truth.

9. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    All I can say is in AJ I trust!

10. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    If it were up to me, I'd have signed V-Jack yesterday. Of course, there would be escape clauses for bad behavior.

Not knowing the guy, I can't judge him but all of us do thing's that can be considered STUPID!!!

11. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    Trade...

[​IMG]

Bmarsh just hates the donks. WHo can blame him?

At least he doesn't have 2 duis and now arrested for forgetting to renew liscense?

12. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,424
    Right. He only creates havoc in the locker room.

What would be the point? We'd be trading one dominant but immature WR for another dominant but immature WR. :icon_shrug:

13. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    you know half of the posts like that i'm not serios. I wish there was a sarcasm button on here. Actually i would rather trade cromartie and floyd or cro and merriman for marshall!

14. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,424
  15. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    No, but he has a Rap sheet that is about 2-3 pages long with all his transgressions with the law. Oh and he has on occasion knocked women around and has a DUI.

16. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    o. well then, beating on women is definately super low!

17. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Brandon Marshall:

October, 2004: Misdemeanor charges of trespass, resisting arrest without violence, disorderly conduct, refusal to obey and assault on a police officer. (Later dismissed)

April, 2005: Retail theft of $20 bed sheets at Burlington Coat Factory. (Later dismissed)

June, 2006: Reports of domestic violence, no charges ever filed.

December, 2006: Was named as a possible cause that ultimately led to the death of cornerback Darrent Williams via drive-by shooting after spraying champagne on night club patrons.

January, 2007: Incident with his own father that reportedly included gun shots. No charges were filed.

March, 2007: Reports of domestic violence, no charges filed.

March, 2007: Arrested for false imprisonment and domestic violence, charges were later dismissed after attending anger management classes.

June, 2007: Reports of domestic violence, including an “accidental cut” on his girlfriends thigh and a rock thrown at the passenger side of her friends’ car. No charges were filed.

June, 2007: Police respond to “fight-in-progress” call and find girlfriend with noticeable bruises and scratches. No Charges filed.

October, 2007: Cited for driving under the influence, BAC of 0.116.

January, 2008: Girlfriend files for temporary restraining order, was later lifted.

March, 2008: Domestic violence call, ultimately resulting in Marshall fleeing the scene. Girlfriend would then file for another temporary restraining order.

August, 2008: Suspended for three games by the NFL. After appeal, the league reduced the suspension to one game without pay plus a fine.

September, 2008: Charged with two misdemeanor counts of simple battery as a result of the incident the previous March.

September, 2008: A year after being cited for DUI in Denver, Marshall pleaded guilty to the lesser offense of driving while ability-impaired. He was sentenced to one year of probation.

February, 2009: Became engaged to then girlfriend Michi Nogami-Campbell, a different female than the one named in the incidents above.

March, 2009: Marshall and Nogami-Campbell seen in a physical altercation. Situation is “under review” per the NFL. The league later cleared the air on the March, 2009 situation and said that (at least as of now) that Marshall would not have to miss any games for the upcoming season. However, he is still to go on trial for his 2008 arrest. If convicted, do not count out a possible game or two on the sidelines.

18. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
  19. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I wouldn't trade my bag of Skittles for that guy....

20. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    His license is under suspension for the DUI and I have any number of tenants get ticketed and towed for registration. One of them even had the tags in the glove box when the PEO snatched their wheels. The young and well to types often tend to ignore the details. Why else do you think so many Hollywood types have personal assistants-read zoo keepers.

21. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Shirley, you jest.